Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 7 (Feb13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc

(993 Posts)

This is thread 7 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - the previous thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

Tr0ubled Sun 03-Mar-13 19:28:38

Apologies in advance for the gross question but how long did it take those that are post op to open their bowels? My stomach is getting bigger and bigger and despite movicol and prune juice nothing is shifting and I'm getting so scared of the pain to come when it eventually happens.

cardamomginger Sun 03-Mar-13 19:44:44

Oh dear. I had my last operation on the Monday and when I still hadn't done anything by Thursday morning (despite Movicol, senna and a whole orchanrd of prunes), they gave me a glycerine suppository. That enabled me to go. A bit I then got horribly backed up on the Saturday and after the suppositories hadn;t worked, I had to have an enema. That cleared everything out and from then on I was fine. II think different parts of your digestive system wake up at different points. This last time, the bits higher up had all got moving again just fine, it was just the final end bit that hadn't started working properly. An operation on Friday and no poo on Sunday doesn't sound that dire, tbh. But, if your stomach is getting bigger and bigger it sounds like you might be getting a bit backed up too. I'd ask the nursing staff/your consultant for some help.
When you try and go, whatever you do, DO NOT STRAIN. Try and 'breathe' it out - I call it hypnopooing grin. If you feel pain, stop. And ask for 'assistance'. That is what they are there for! Do you have any idea how long you will be in for? I'd heartily recommend trying to stay in until you have been. As long as you are in hospital, it is their problem, not yours. That was what I kept repeating to myself as I tried not to panic after another failed attempt to do a poo.....

I was home before any BMs happened Troubled - but didn't get backed up, it was very runny if anything and I was worried about being able to tell what was wind and what was not. The glycerine suppositories are supposed to be very good. Also, if there is a little step or anything else you can raise your feet on whilst on the loo it helps.

Multi - glad you've sorted out work. Never had a massage in my life, so no idea about that, I guess warn the therapist you are post-op and tell them to stop immediately if there is any discomfort. I put on 9lbs whilst recuperating sad.

Tr0ubled Sun 03-Mar-13 20:05:27

Think I'm in until Tuesday morning but insurance will cover me until Wednesday if needed. I'd definitely rather my first poo is here too. I've had a heamorrhoidectomy on top of all the vaginal repairs and so have been warned that the pain with pooing will be pretty horrific for the first week or so. That's probably why I'm not going as I'm so scared.

cardamomginger Sun 03-Mar-13 20:27:46

Enema time!! It will be SO much better... XX

Dahlialover Sun 03-Mar-13 20:32:19

I had op on Monday and pooed Thursday, with help of glycerine suppositories (which I continued to use for 2 weeks)

edwinbear Sun 03-Mar-13 21:12:16

I'm going in on Tuesday for a rectocele and cystocele repair. Starting to wish I hadn't read the poo bit. Should I be taking some laxatives in with me? The hospital haven't mentioned it, but it seems to be par for course here. As an aside, has anyone had surgery whilst they have their period? Mine is due any day now and the surgeon has said it's fine, but I do feel a bit funny about it.

I was advised to start taking Fybogel a week before my op and lactulose afterwards Edwin. I don't think I really needed either with hindsight (see post at 19.51). I stuck with the lactulose for a couple of weeks afterwards and then phased it out. I bought my own, plus stocked up on paracetamol and ibuprofen at home, which speeded up the discharge process as they would have prescribed them for me if I hadn't got them and they said it would have taken a couple of hours to get the paperwork done and have them sent from the pharmacy. I wouldn't worry about the period, there is going to be blood anyway. I felt a bit weird about keeping my coil in place during surgery.

Tr0ubled Sun 03-Mar-13 21:26:29

edwinbear I had my period for my surgery on Friday, didn't make any difference for the surgeon. I also took laxatives for a few days beforehand, I can only assume it will help when my bowels eventually open.

I have just sat on the loo for 20 mins, very relaxed but willing myself to go. Lots of wind and awful pain but nothing more. I'm now back in my bed with such a pushing pain down below, almost like that point in labour when you need to push. The nurse has just been and has given me painkillers but I really feel they need to deal with getting things moving instead.

edwinbear Sun 03-Mar-13 21:27:49

Thanks whoknows I have a cupboard full of Ibuprofen but think I will get some lactulose in as well, there is no harm having it in the house. Thanks.

edwinbear Sun 03-Mar-13 21:31:07

troubled thanks, glad to read the period shouldn't be an issue. I've been reading all your post op updates and they've been a great help in getting me mentally prepared. Hope you get some 'relief' soon.

cardamomginger Sun 03-Mar-13 21:37:03

edwin - I think period is only relevant if you are having surgery that involves stitching into the uterus. And, even then, it's only the first few days when the uterus is more swollen. At least, that's what my surgeon told me. Wouldn't worry about it. In some ways it's good to get this period out of the way right at the beginning, when you are bleeding anyway and will be on maximum pain relief. Then you can have a free 4 weeks or so until your next one, when things will be much more healed and you should be feeling quite a bit better.
Tr0Ubled - that's how I felt when I was backed up. Like it was almost involuntary labour-type pushing. Does it feel like you are 'full' and there's loads there (sorry for the TMI question)? I think they should be doing things to get it moving too. Had the consultant been in to see you today? You could ask them to call him.... Trouble with loads of wind is that it can dry things out and then make it harder to go. XX

Dahlialover Sun 03-Mar-13 21:39:59

Troubled - nurse told me on Weds (equivalent to your Sunday) to relax and let it happen when it was ready. I had been given 2 gycerin suppositories on the instructions of the consultant and nothing had happened and the nurse said that she had felt nothing there so was not surprised.

I went the next day, with suppositories I had bought (I went home on the Weds).

Keep drinking water and relax - it will happen!

Tr0ubled Sun 03-Mar-13 23:09:00

Arghhhh so desperate to go but because of the wounds from heamorrhoidectomy I'm not allowed a suppository or enema. Have been given dulcolax instead which should take about 6-8hrs to work. For the second time since I got here on Friday the nurse asked why I'd had both procedures done at the same time (i.e front and bottom) and must admit I'm wondering why myself now. sad

cardamomginger Mon 04-Mar-13 08:12:59

Tr0ubled - sad. Fingers crossed XX

wouldratherbeskiing Mon 04-Mar-13 09:14:46

Oh Troubled - eeeeek hopefully things will move soon. I'm surprised they have said no to glycerine suppositories. Cardamom's hypnopooing sounds good and as Whoknows has already mentioned a step helps get your body in the correct position. Awful for you.

MrsAnnie Mon 04-Mar-13 19:52:52

Hope things are moving for you now Troubled. I know your situation is more complicated but I too was terrified of the first movement! Tried to ensure fibre quota was high pre-op as have tendency for extreme constipation. As it turned out it was not as bad as expected - even stitched up I think our bodies can stretch to accommodate...good luck smile

Any news Troubled?

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Mon 04-Mar-13 21:40:23

Troubled when the pain has all gone, when swelling has gone and you are not as conscious about it anymore just remember you don't have to go back and start again. Yes it is worse for you and no you don't need it pointing out to you. In a few months when you are doing something fun just remember you could have been back to sort it out again.

Tr0ubled Mon 04-Mar-13 23:03:57

After a painful night I finally managed to go at about 6am. I took cardamom's advice and 'hypnopood''! However because I was so sleepy and the pain I think my body got such a shock that I landed up nearly fainting and I collapsed on my bed naked and had to pull the emergency cord. The lovely nurse came and helped me and tucked me into bed. For all those pre op please be reassured that the majority of my pain came from the heamorrhoidectomy and also fissure that I had removed; none of these are stitched but instead left as open wounds to heal over so they stung a lot!
Anyway I'm still in hospital but hopefully tonight is the last night. I've had some more dulcolax so that I can go home tomorrow with empty bowels. The pain from the prolapse repairs although sore is very controllable. Looking forward to being back in my own bed now.

wouldratherbeskiing Mon 04-Mar-13 23:16:25

Good news - sleep tight x

Sleep well Troubled - glad you have made some progress.

cardamomginger Mon 04-Mar-13 23:38:53

Oh sweetheart!! Well done Tr0ubled! Keep up the dulcolax and hope you get a good night. Any chance you can stay in until Wednesday? XX

Dahlialover Tue 05-Mar-13 09:50:42

Troubled, I am in awe of you! grin

multimum4 Tue 05-Mar-13 18:25:43

Well done troubled Relief all round!
6 weeks post op today
Lovely sunny day. First day driving. Went and had my spa treatments and massage. Told them about my surgery etc so they were careful. Came home and felt lovely for approximately half an hour, then got bad crampy abdominal pains and started bleeding again. I am being optimistic and presuming it is my first period since the op. and that I haven't done myself a damage. What a day for it to arrive though and boy its an owchy one. Off to bed with a hot water bottle and back on the painkillers I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now