Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 7 (Feb13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc

(993 Posts)

This is thread 7 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - the previous thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Wed 25-Sep-13 22:06:30

Hi all. I was posting on this thread back in February but cancelled my surgery as had the frights but now have re scheduled and am having it next week. I am having a posterior repair and perineorrhaphy and think I understand what is involved but I have a couple of worries which I wondered if anyone may be able to help me with?
My primary concern is that my surgeon wants it as day surgery but the ward sister when she found out I had 3 small children said I should stay in as I will need a nights rest. Even at my pre op appointment last week the surgeon looked at my notes and said yes I'm doing this as a day case aren't I and I didn't say otherwise and not did the nurse who said afterwards don't worry we'll keep you in. Am I being a wimp? Everything I've read suggests a hospital stay and it's not that I want to be away from home, just that I am worried that the children are enthusiastic in their affection and too young to understand being gentle. I know the surgeon as I was under her care as a obstetrician and she is hardcore. Very good at her game but very clinical and lacks bedside manner IYSWIM? I always get the impression she thinks her patients are a bit soft. shock.
The second thing is the anaesthetic - I am thinking I will opt for a regional with sedation as I am not that keen in having a general if I can avoid it - anyone experience of this?
Sorry it's long, TIA.

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Wed 25-Sep-13 23:05:17

Stunts - hope the op goes well for you.

must tidy My consultant was fairly brusque and determined I would be up and about straight away (no vaginal packing). I did this but I was so, so tired. I had 2 nights in hospital (I was last on the op list). If I was at home, I would have required bed, telly, book, easy access to toilet, meals in bed, cups of tea and water and frequent snoozes.

Noordinarygirl Wed 25-Sep-13 23:29:42

Anyone had a sacropolpopexy op? Sounds pretty scary to me....awaiting date to go into hospital now.

Dilligufdarling Thu 26-Sep-13 18:36:01

Hi, I just posted in general health when a lovely person sent me over here. I hadn't really considered a prolapse as a possibility but am now wondering...
I had a fairly traumatic birth with DS 16 months ago - transverse episiotomy, tear, 6 pt blood loss, crash team, transfusion etc.
My stitches then burst 1 week later and so the recovery was pretty painful and LONG as well.
Was on various laxatives (prescribed) when recovering as pooing was really really painful. I can't remember much of the actual birth but I can remember every single postnatal poo!
My problem/question is, is now that everything is totally healed, I'm still having problems when I go to the loo (poo). Basically sometimes they seem to sort of "get stuck" and I have to put my finger inside (vagina) and sort of help it out - like counter pressure.
I've not had any other problems that would suggest a weak pelvic floor - haven't had any "leaks" but could this be the problem?
And also every single time I go it's painful and when I wipe there will be some (sometimes only really small amounts) blood.
Even when I don't consider myself constipated (which to be fair happens alot)
I'm pretty certain this is not normal - both the needing to help and the bleeding.
Do I just need more recovery time from the birth? Will it get better on it's own over time (pleasesayyes!!)
I've not mentioned this to anyone in real life because, well, it's difficult enough to bring up online!
Maybe will have to see the doc at some point though...confused
TIA
(Am going to go and start reading this thread from the beginning now!)

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Thu 26-Sep-13 22:39:21

Hi Dilly why don't you go and see your doctor? Sounds like you might have a rectocele, having to push the wall back up to straighten it all it so yo can do a poo is typical. Have you had a look? Can you see a bulge on the back wall when you bear down? Are you doing your PFEs? I mean a lot - I was having pelvic physio for a while and you should be doing 10 x10 seconds (I mean really holding as hard as you can) and 10 quick ones a min of 5 times a day. It will strengthen what muscle you have.
My episiotomy left a long scar which the physio said is the reason my PF is so weak on the RHS and my damage was nowhere near as bad as yours so it is likely your scar has left a significant weakness. BTw a weak PF does not necessarily mean wee accidents - as long as I avoid star jumps I am fine and I have a rectocele and a cystocele.
With regards to the blood you may have haemorrhoids from the constipation? Is it fresh blood (good)? If it is get your doc to prescribe the suppositories that have a steroid in. I swear they changed my life :-))
It is crappy but will get more crappy if you don't get it looked at and sorted so get thee to a doctor. smile

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 27-Sep-13 10:41:23

Hi there. Had my TVT yesterday. Had to stop in overnight as had spinal block which took ages to wear off, am peeing well now so that's good. Be a while before I'm up to bouncing on the trampoline but that will be the true test if its worked I imagine grin
Waiting to be discharged now, going to be hard not to do too much at home with the kids about. Onwards and upwards and no wet pants (I hope). X

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 27-Sep-13 15:25:13

Musttidyup - just to add re your query on remaining awake for op. I have just had TVT with spinal block so awake throughout. They shoved some local in too but I wasn't sedated so wide awake. Felt very bizarre but a calm experience overall. The staff in theatre (10 in all!) we're wonderful and reassuring. Glad I did it like that as I always wonder what they're up to under a GA smile the radio was on and the surgeon was singing along. Did take me ages to get feeling in my legs back though. They didn't put screens up so I could see what they were doing if I wanted. Mostly I just tried to chat to the nurse. Are they offering you a spinal?

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 27-Sep-13 16:49:08

Thames said a regional like an epidural so issue they mean a spinal?

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 27-Sep-13 16:49:28

they said

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 27-Sep-13 17:31:54

Sounds like a spinal then. As I said was a surreal but very calm experience. My legs were dead for a good 5 hrs after though so had catheter etc in throughout that. Am glad I opted for it rather than a general. Good luck whatever you choose.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 27-Sep-13 17:50:40

Thanks Ido I have pretty much decided to go ahead with that. Like you, I like the idea of knowing what's going on! A feeling apprehensive though. Natural I suppose. It's come around so quickly. And I am panicking at what chaos the house will be. DH will try his best but it will be mayhem. It's ok to drink yes? wink

Homebird11 Fri 27-Sep-13 18:14:09

Just seen this thread. Hopefully you lovely people will have top tips. Is there anything you recommend I get in the house before I go in for surgery so I don't have to send a hassled DH out to find it?
Read through the thread so feel a mixture of more worried and reassured at the same time confused

Dilligufdarling Fri 27-Sep-13 18:54:19

Thanks Musttidy! Having read a little around the subject I realise how common this is! I had no idea. Is nice to know I'm not alone.
I hadn't realised that you could have a damaged pf without wee leaks. Will recommended PFEs.
Mentioned this whole thing last night to DH for the first time.
He was quite surprised that I hadn't told him before.. Normally we're very open about body stuff.
But this is all just so very unglamorous and I really really was hoping it would just go away.
Anyway he also said that I should go to the doc.
Have booked an appointment on Monday am.
Will report back.

Also is increased wind a symptom of rectocele?
Or maybe that's just a side effect of all of the extra fibre I've been eating to try and help!

Just wrote this out twice and iPhone swallowed it... Hoping that 3 times is the charm!

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Fri 27-Sep-13 19:08:46

Go for it musttidy, I feel very reassured now by knowing exactly what went on in theatre. I too was anxious beforehand but the nurses and docs will be so calm and reassuring with you any nerves you have will disappear. Spinal block did not hurt at all when it went in.
Don't worry about the state your house will be in, I have a cleaner booked in to come as a one off on Monday to tidy, Hoover, do bathrooms etc, had u considered same while you're recovering. House might be a tad messy but at least it'll be clean!

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 27-Sep-13 21:09:17

That's a great idea stunts I have a friend doing a bit of cleaning at the mo to get some money for Christmas and I bet she'd be happy to do it.
Glad you're feeling a bit better about things Dilly and that you've booked doc app. Not sure about the wind it's prob the fibre! I find not eating bread/pasta /starchy foods makes a real difference to making it all a bit easier done there.

Footle Sat 28-Sep-13 21:53:03

What's happened to the current thread ? I've reported the problem to MN Towers but they haven't understood that this is NOT THE CURRENT THREAD. Is it just me who can't find the current one ?

Bladderama Sat 28-Sep-13 22:27:06

Footle this is the current thread

Footle - yes, this the current one, I've been posting on this one regularly and I have not seen any link to a subsequent one, although this one is nearly full now.

Nannasylv Sun 29-Sep-13 02:31:24

I think I just posted this in the wrong place.
Hi, I've not been on here in ages (I had nothing new to report, and I couldn't cope with seeing how so many were getting repairs, and I was still struggling to get even a diagnosis), but I thought I'd come back and say that I now have been diagnosed (yesterday) with a moderate (not small) rectocele, and a cystocele (I had an examination under general anaesthetic), as well as the intussception. However, it still seems that they are not planning to repair???, and will see me in three months (to discuss the situation), despite the physiotherapist saying my muscles work well (4 out of 5 score) and she would recommend repair as the only way forward! I just want to sit and cry, and wondered whether my personal bits are supposed to completely descend (to the point of being visible at all times) before any kind of repair might be considered. How much is it to have this all hoisted back up in a private (presumably very costly) clinic? I am sick of being in pain, having to manually evacuate, and not being able to guarantee that one bit, or the other, won't leak if/when I get the chance to have sex again (my H left me in February, after making me spend most of our 9 yr marriage celibate, so I would like to think there was some pleasure to be found in the future!).
I've never heard of a man being refused a hernia repair, and I see news of girls getting bigger boobs because their small ones upset them, so why is this considered non-essential?

Bladderama Sun 29-Sep-13 10:08:00

Oh nannaslyv sad a huge hug from me. I was wondering how you were.
This has been the most awful journey for you.
I am glad that you finally have a diagnosis and know what is going on but am so very sorry to hear that they are going to wait another 3 months to see you and are not planning to repair.
Did the Dr give you a reason why they would not offer you a repair?
It is truly shocking the differences in treatment for our pelvic floor troubles, it has such a huge impact on our quality of life and well being.
I really don't know what to suggest for you other than paying for a private consultation with a good surgeon and being asked to put on their NHS waiting list. This seems to be something a few people in RL have done.
I hope that you feel better soon after your GA and that you keep posting x

Nannasylv Sun 29-Sep-13 15:16:49

Thanks Bladderama, I'm just getting the transfer of equity done, then will see to the divorce (hopefully), but then I'll look into a private consultation. Last night I just felt so depressed I wanted to curl up and die. Today I'm trying to get my fighting spirit back by continuing with the renovation of the bathroom. Still buying lottery tickets, as that might help (in my dreams)!

Footle Sun 29-Sep-13 15:56:30

I am a twit. Got the thread upside down. I am now standing on my head so it's the right way up.

Footle Sun 29-Sep-13 16:00:39

Nannasylv, nice to see you back, but it's hard to believe you are being left in this situation even now you have the diagnosis. A drastic suggestion : have you thought of asking your MP to find out why you are being refused surgery ?

summertimeandthelivingiseasy Sun 29-Sep-13 16:49:36

Homebird

My list:

Movicol
Glycerine supositories
Sanitary towels
paracetomol, ibuprofen, codeine (not good for constipation)
lubricant (gentle such as Sylk, Yes ) for later use..........
bath stuff such as salt, lavender oil, teatree if wanted
easy to wear clothes, esp trousers
easy food
fruit and other food good for insides....
things to read, do, dvds, music bearing in mind you may not feel like doing much
hospital friendly night clothes
hand cream - might as well catch up with the manicures!

Nannasylv Sun 29-Sep-13 18:31:19

Footle, you must be telepathic! I was talking to my niece about doing that, just this morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now