Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pt 7 (Feb13) Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc

(993 Posts)

This is thread 7 (again - see below) of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

With apologies for confusion in thread numbers - the previous thread was called part 7 but it was actually the 6th thread.

Here are the previous threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Thread 5
Thread 6

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

Hi Oneproblem - what symptoms are you having?

oneproblemafteranother Sat 16-Mar-13 21:52:33

blush Have had the problem of not completing a motion and then when wiping I would need to go more which was a pain but manageable, but just recently I have been continuing to have the motion when I have been wiping and unfortunately a few times managed to flick it. Am really embarrassed at this as at the time I wasn't aware that I had been IYKNWIM blush

Oh dear, I think this thread must be THE place for embarrassing information on MN. Although I have had a rectocele repaired I had a different set of symptoms so I'm not quite sure what they are likely to offer you but I think there have been other posters with similar problems, so hopefully someone will come along with some better info. They tend not to offer surgery unless your problems are having a fairly substantial impact on your life as it is major surgery with a long recovery time, it also depends on your age and whether you have completed your family.

oneproblemafteranother Sat 16-Mar-13 22:02:38

I have completed my family - 3DDs. I am mid 40's. I am not sure its surgery I am after, a few years ago I did have a TVT repair. I just wondered whether this was a "normal" symptom and if so what could I do to help sort it.

Tr0ubled Sat 16-Mar-13 23:17:53

leaky I know I've been posting on here a lot since my surgery about pain but I just want to reassure you that from straight after my op I have felt better than I thought I would. I do have some painful moments but I have far more pain free moments. I'm sorry if I've added to your fears. Remember there are many many ladies who have the easiest of recoveries but because of this they are unlikely to need all of us and so do not post. x

Tr0ubled Sat 16-Mar-13 23:28:26

oneproblem my NHS hospital sent me for quite a few tests to diagnose the severity of my rectocele (and entrocele). Firstly I had a colonoscopy although I'm not sure why, then I had 2 defecating proctograms, and then I had some biodynamic tests where they put various different electronic probes and ultrasound probes up your bottom! I also had (fingers crossed!) a cystocele and so have had the pleasure of a urodynamics test as well.
I remember when I was given the leaflets on all these tests I wept for a day fearing the indignity and humiliation. However the people who do the tests have to be some of the nicest in the NHS, I was always put at ease and never at anytime did I feel humiliated.

edwinbear Sun 17-Mar-13 13:14:21

leaky the pain for me, the first 4-5 days was pretty bad, I won't lie. But from day 7 or so onwards I was off the painkillers and relatively mobile. My stitches are still sore to sit on but it hasn't been as bad as I had anticipated. I'm sure it's individual for everyone. One definite plus is the lounging about at home being waited on hand and foot!

oneproblem I had a rectocele and cystocele, I didn't have any tests at all as my only symptom was the physical sensation of things falling out and the bulge sensation. My gynae did a speculum exam, could see the prolapses and operated on that basis.

tr0ubled I can't see any update on your stitches, I may have missed it, but have you spoken to your consultants secretary at all? Have you lost anymore? How are you doing generally?

Leaky - I didn't really have much pain after the first night in hospital, once the packing was out I was OK, it was more discomfort than pain, I was only using ibuprofen and paracetamol at home.

leakyR Sun 17-Mar-13 14:44:49

Sorry about yesterday's mini freak-out, you are all very supportive and positive about your experiences. It's helping smileMy DH has a quite severe medical phobia (counselling during both pregnancies so he could attend my mercifully straightforward, not v medical births) so conversation on what is going to happen has been limited. I think that means I've been overthinking stuff. He read the info from the hospital today and changed colour slightly when he saw that I'll have a catheter and morphine driver attached after surgery. I would like him to visit in the first day, but will understand if he'd rather not, until I'm not hooked up to things (he tends to faint - very stressful for everyone). He says he WILL come on day one, especially as all our family live on the other side of the country. We'll see. I've a friend who'll visit if DH can't or if he keels over.

oneproblemafteranother Sun 17-Mar-13 21:55:17

Thank you TrOubled and Edwin. I have an appointment on the 28th March so will talk to Gyne then.

edwinbear Mon 18-Mar-13 09:14:56

leaky I was in hospital Tues - Thurs and dh didn't visit as he was on childcare duty. I was fine, I'm not sure I would have been up for visitors anyway to be honest and for me, definitely not on day one when I was trying to get on top of the pain and getting over the GA. I had a friend visit on the Weds and whilst it was lovely to see her, I still wasn't quite 'with it' if that's makes sense.

Tr0ubled Mon 18-Mar-13 09:46:44

Oneproblem our experiences were so different so I'm not sure how much we've helped! I guess now you can be prepared for for any level of testing. I initially saw a colorectal surgeon as opposed to a UroGynae so maybe that's why I had so many tests.

edwin having discovered that all my stitches are black I decided that I probably hadn't lost a stitch, though still not sure what it was. But all looks 'ok' down there.

I am feeling quite disappointed in how slow my recovery seems to be. Aside from the pain I definitely felt an improvement in the first 10 days but in the last 5-6 days nothing seems to have changed at all, in fact I've gone backwards a bit. It all hurts after about 30 minutes on my feet and the most comfortable place to be is still my bed. I do wonder if this is how I would have been had I not had the hemorrhoidectomy as well as all the prolapse and perenium repairs. It is really quite difficult to tell exactly where my pain is and it just feels at times like I've been kicked in the whole area. I have read online that a hemorrhoidectomy is the most painful surgery you can have, and if that is the case then I feel as though I'm getting away lightly as even though I have pain it's not constant. It's just not much better than a week ago sad

Footle Mon 18-Mar-13 11:14:40

Hello Leaky. If your DH does visit the first day you just have to tell him which side of the bed to sit, so he won't see the catheter bag ( if you do still have a catheter in ). I was more worried about the catheter than anything else, before the op ( rectocele repair nearly 2 years ago ). In fact is was fine. I was pretty out of anyway, and it was great being able to lie there and drift instead of worrying about the next pee. It was still a huge relief to have it out, but it wasn't the big deal I had dreaded.

NeopreneMermaid Mon 18-Mar-13 14:50:22

Saw my surgeon this morning and he confirmed what I suspected: anterior repair is excellent but I have a brand spanking new cystocele and an being booked for further surgery. Kind of relieved that I wasn't fussing over nothing AND it's going to get sorted out.

NeopreneMermaid Mon 18-Mar-13 14:53:04

*New rectocele. Autocorrect.

NeopreneMermaid Mon 18-Mar-13 14:54:01

Don't you just love it when your phone knows what kind of vaginal prolapse you've already had?

You've made me laugh there Neoprene. Sorry you're facing more surgery but glad the surgeon is on the ball and gong to get you sorted.

cardamomginger Mon 18-Mar-13 15:27:26

Hi Neoprane. I'm so so sorry. I have been thinking of you and really hoping it was just post-operative swelling. sad. You're only about 4 weeks post surgery? When is your next lot of surgery booked - do you have a date yet? Just a thought, but would it be an idea to wait for maybe 6 months or so to see if anything else gives way? If you have a new rectocele now, then that might suggest that things are generally pretty weak inside and further prolapse may reveal itself as the months go on. Waiting might mean looking at just one larger operation, rather than potentially an additional one further down the line. Not trying to be a downer about things, and if you're like me you probably just want things to be sorted ASAP.
A similar thing happened to me. My second operation involved rectocele repair and perineum rebuild and soon thereafter a new cystocele showed up. We decided to wait until I was fit enough to 'road test' the repairs that had already been done to see if anything else gave out. Low and behold, a new rectocele and a spanking new enterocele developed.
X

NeopreneMermaid Mon 18-Mar-13 15:46:51

Thank you ladies. Card the surgeon said 3 months from now would be a sufficient wait. You're absolutely right though; I don't want to wait.

Whoknows I'm glad I made you smile. smile

edwinbear Mon 18-Mar-13 21:18:55

tr0ubled I've had a couple of bits of white, stringy like discharge (nice huh) could it have been that? Also, one of the nurses told me there can be a bit of a dip in recovery after a couple of weeks "when all the bruising comes out", I'm not too sure what she meant by that but I nodded sagely and am waiting for my 2 week dip.

neoprane I am so sorry to hear this, but glad you at least have some answers and a game plan.

Tr0ubled Tue 19-Mar-13 08:29:20

edwin thanks hon that could make sense. I've definitely been experiencing new types of pain as well (actually more like mini electric shocks deep within my nether regions) which I had thought might be down to the next stage of healing. Guess I just hoped by now I'd be less bed bound and at least on the sofa within the buzz of my home, but totally taking the weight of my pelvic floor is definitely the best way for me to be and so I'm in bed rather alot.

Anyway I've got to pull myself together because it's my little boys 6th birthday tomorrow. I've organised a small party for him at a local playzone which I'm hoping will work perfectly; they organize all the food and drinks around a party table and the playzone is fab. Plus there's good coffee and sofa seating for the grown ups so I should be ok for a couple of hours. smile

Hi everyone smile

I've been pointed here by the lovely WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes who gave me some kind advice on my thread about my broken fanjo and arse

I'm gradually trying to accept that, despite major Dr phobia following a grim birth experience 2.5 yrs ago (10lb OP baby, induction, big ouch, referred for physio afterwards but never went as in denial) I will have to go and get myself looked at but its a scary thought and I'm not sure I can do it just yet.

So yeah. My name is LiftWantedAroundTheWorld, I have a collapsing pelvic floor, external piles on my perineum, floppy lumps of skin from being stitched up crappily after childbirth, and a mystery labial lump grin The first step is to recognise the problem, right?!

cardamomginger Tue 19-Mar-13 10:23:01

Hi Tr0ubled. Yeah, I get the electric shock thing as well. I think it's the muscles starting to wake up and having little spasms. Hopefully when the stitches start to give way 5-7 weeks after surgery, things won't be as bad. If it does get bad around this time, do give him a call - if there are any loose stitches that are causing problems, he'll take them out. I'm having this done this afternoon!
Hi Liftwanted. sad. It's grim and scary, but you're right, the first step is to make that first appointment with the GP. You'll get lots of hand holding and support here - you're not alone in this. XX

NeopreneMermaid Tue 19-Mar-13 11:41:03

Good luck today Card. Hope you're more comfortable later.

Welcome Lift! I've surprised myself at how au fait I am discussing my nether regions but then I also feel like I left my dignity at the door of the delivery suite three years ago smile. I've even considered giving my pelvic floor its own blog. Get yourself looked at. No-one finds it fun and it is so worth it to get it sorted. You wouldn't let your daughter/best friend put up with it, would you?

edwinbear Tue 19-Mar-13 14:01:17

Tr0ubled it could well be nerves starting to come to life again. Hope the party goes well, I'm sure it will do you the world of good to get out for a bit but hope it's not too painful/tiring for you.

Hi Liftwanted, sounds like it's definitely time to make that appointment. Once you've had it looked at, at least you know what you are dealing with, it doesn't mean you have to go ahead with anything, just that you know what the options are.

cardamom good luck for today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now