Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

candida is back - again

(6 Posts)
Nellymay Wed 20-Feb-13 18:24:24

i've had the first bout in august - dec 2012 after two lots of heavy antibiotics and i a really difficult time getting rid of it and NOW it seems to have come back - i think its because i've had flu and norovirus at new year that left left me feeling a bit under par and sinus problems - oh, and i had a big molar tooth out a few weeks ago - so its crept back into my gut -

Any advice commismerations etc???sad

chocoluvva Wed 20-Feb-13 22:22:57

Caprylic acid/grapefruit-seed extract
Probiotics
Tampon soaked in yoghurt
Lay off the sweet stuff and refined carbs as much as possible.

Nellymay Wed 20-Feb-13 23:55:33

thanks Choco where can i get caprylic acid from - is it the same as grapefruit seed extract?

chocoluvva Thu 21-Feb-13 09:48:22

I buy supplements online - good quality brands only such as BioCare, Solgar,Quest, Viridian, Nutri etc - from a site called, 'Bodykind'. Or health food shops. They usually have searches for particular health concerns eg, candida.

Threelac/Fivelac is meant to be very good too (I've never taken it as the 'nutritional yeast' in it doesn't agree with me).

Caprylic acid is a medium-chain fatty acid usually derived from coconuts which inhibits the growth of candida.
Grapefruit seed extract is basically a disinfectant!! Very strong.

If your immune system is a bit down you should also take zinc and vitamin D.

Nellymay Thu 21-Feb-13 11:50:05

thanks Choco i'll look for these when i go into town later today
i also take garlic capsules for candida, have you tried them?

chocoluvva Thu 21-Feb-13 13:40:57

I know garlic is supposed to helpful, as long as you take probiotics in
between the times of taking the garlic as it has an antibiotic effect.

I've just remembered another useful supplement - horopito anise - not sold widely. It's made in New Zealand. One study found it to be as effective as Fluconazole (diflucan).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now