Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TAMOXIFEN**33**

(996 Posts)

new thread - bring the trolley over here....

NedSchneebly Sun 17-Mar-13 14:58:21

gig and MAS can't get it post on your FB timeline, but consider yourselves well and truly loved. Will persevere. . .

Gigondas Sun 17-Mar-13 17:31:05

Don't know why ned will investigate .

MRI doesn't tend to diagnose cancer as much as add more detail on what can be seen already (so was a measuring device on my lump). If it makes you feel better press for it 14k tho.

Done in as took big gig for party and the chuntering mums about school gossip makes my head spin.

well done gig (saw big gig's chocolatey chops on fb !)
aww ned thank you - hope it turned up on your timeline too grin

coorong Sun 17-Mar-13 18:19:15

hi all - checking in a waving to all - after a sunday afternoon spent preparing lessons ("cracking hydrocarbons" anyone.....?).
I'm in for my op next Monday 25th, mas then reconstruction. Any advice on what to take to the hospital and post op advice. Friends rallying around to distract my daughters during the holidays (which start Monday) - which is real relief.
I keep forgetting I've got cancer, but my breast hurts so I have a constant reminder. Anyone else get pain with their lumps?

Spero Sun 17-Mar-13 21:45:22

Ned - I had a MRI but all that happened was they found a small cyst and thought it might be another tumour. Had to have another somogram to sort that out. I was a bit surprised as I thought the MRI was this fail safe identify everything machine but as gigondas said it is more for screening.

But the MRI was clearly considered par for the course in my case so I would press them for a clear explanation if they are not offering you one.

jchocchip Mon 18-Mar-13 07:01:40

Morning all! We have snow! Dd has work experience this week, we had better go on the train today!
Bread just out the breadmaker if anyone wants... I'll put a brew on.

good luck to dd jane ! hope not too chilly...

KurriKurri Mon 18-Mar-13 10:14:14

Morning all - catching up on your posts from the weekend, and sending love and smooches to all who need them.

Asho - One Direction and of course Justin Bieber must indeed be on the list grin
I'm glad things are good with boyfriend, you've definitely got the right aproach - keep talking, keep friendly and you can work things out smile - Sorry you are having tearful moments though - it is very much par for the course unfortunately, there is so much emotional stuff to deal with, and once treatment starts you have more time to reflect on all the implications of that treatment. Are there any young women's cancer groups in your area - you might find that you could get a lot of support from women of your age who will understand, without you having to explain all the time smile

Coorong - good luck with your surgery, I guess as you are having recon, you will be in for a week or so. I would take:
PJ's or nighties which open down the front, so you can take them on an off easily for exams.
Sucky sweets and juice as hospital seems to dry your throat.
baby wipes or similar - you might be a bit restricted in showering due to dressings, so it's nice to have something to freshen up with.
The obvious book/mags/stock up your Kindle. But also you may well feel very tired so an MP3 player loaded with fav. music, or audiobooks is good.
Anything at all which makes you feel good (from hand cream to chocolates, whatever you like!)
Cards for the TV/internet (am I right in thinking you are in Oz? - not sure if you have the same system but at my hospital you need pre paid cards for TV etc. so I stock up if I go in)

They will give you exercise to do, and tell you all you need to know about any physio etc. - main thing about the exercises is to keep up with them and do them several times a day - they make a huge difference to your recovery.

Hmm - can't think of anything else - but am sure loads of others will have tips smile

Painful boobs - mine started hurting after diagnosis! - I was never sure whether it was psychlogical, or (more likely) that the biopsies, and constant poking and prodding by medics had something to do with it.

l4K - I'm not sure what to suggest, I sense that you are not quite happy with the outcome and still need some reassurance. Hardly surprising given all the different info you've had thrown at you. Honestly I think like Gig, if it were me and I was uncertain I'd press for the biopsy. When do you next see your consultant? - can you talk it through with him/her? or your GP sounds as if she's onside - could you talk to her again and get her advice as to how to move forward with this thing.

radiographer sound as if she in the 'bit of a wanker' brigade.
But wait until your nasty bug has cleared - it is so hard to think things through when you are feeling lousy.

Waving to everyone, hope everyone has a good week.
I spent yesterday gardening and now I have dreadful rough builder's hands <simpers> grin

smee Mon 18-Mar-13 10:18:43

Helloooo! Long run to Cardiff wiped me out. grin

Have missed loads, will try and catch up but hope all are well. I've had a flu-type cold, so spent most of yesterday shivering and feeling pathetic. First cold of the winter though, so can't really complain. Jane, bread sounds mmm... pass me a slice. smile

KurriKurri Mon 18-Mar-13 10:21:56

helloooooo Smee grin hope coldy thing is better soon.

Good luck to Dd jane, and yes please to bread smile

Gigondas Mon 18-Mar-13 10:33:02

Morning all-brew ? Am beyond pissed off as now have an spd type pain in my right hip (glares at mini gig as suspect picking up her using that side to avoid bad shoulder is root cause) so had very bad night.

Coorong- clean up wipes for surfaces as hospital none too clean. Your own cup and glass as makes it nicer to drink. Lots of entertainment - I liked a portable radio as it is easy to doze and listen.

Ash- sorry you are so tearful and have tricky times with bf. have you looked at livestrong as they are very very good on young people with cancer?

And my heart goes out to you about babies and pregnancy- I know i must sound beyond smug at times but it was a very long journey to have the 2 gigs and I think their is a horrid hell associated with that kind of pain. That is another thing that I think livestrong covers better than Macmillan.

Maybe to cheer you up we can carry on ash' list of shame. I would like to add Taylor swift (if you have ever wondered her music sounds just like barbie), Katherine Jenkins and Lenny Henry (always found him irritating).

Gigondas Mon 18-Mar-13 10:33:50

Cross posts and waves at smee - when meant to be working

smee Mon 18-Mar-13 10:34:03

Waving to Kurri. Are you feeling any better?? x smile

smee Mon 18-Mar-13 10:35:43

x-posted, so now waving to Gig too. Ouch on the hip. I'd bet you're right to blame mini-gig. A friend with baby of a similar age is complaining of just the same thing.

smee Mon 18-Mar-13 10:37:30

coorong, can't add much, but agree wipes are essential. Little hand held fan maybe too in case it's hot on the ward? Definitely you need an iPod or similar. I made the mistake of taking a little radio once, but the ward had no signal. Ear plugs pretty essential too.

l4k Mon 18-Mar-13 11:30:13

coorong, not had breast op but had gyne op and was in for a while.I would say ear plugs were my best friend. Also , layering night- clothes. It was really hot on the ward and freezing in the day/visitors room. Yes to anti-bac wipes and one horrible night when I couldn't sleep my kindle saved me from a melt-down.

Gig- carrying little ones is hard on your body. I once went to a chiropractor with a weak, painful arm. He gave me some exercises and it got no better, actually I started losing use,probably because it hurt so much. I went back but had to take dd2 with me and after he watched me struggle in with her he told me there was nothing wrong with my arm, the problem was with my 16 month old, rather chubby, dd's legs !!!! as in, she didn't use them. I wasn't amused, but thankfully she started walking within a few weeks and a few months later my arm was much better. How old is smallest gig now? do painkillers help the hip at all?

And don't get me started on bloody Katherine Jenkins!!!! I can not bear her.

KK, thank you, I think I will try to see nice gp again and see what she thinks. If she doesn't think I'm making a fuss about nothing it would give me more confidence to follow up. And the radiographer was so superior, made me feel like I'd made it all up. All I did was go to a family history appointment that had been arranged by them.

AshokanFarewell Mon 18-Mar-13 15:41:52

Thanks Gig I hadn't heard of livestrong so I will look them up. And thank you Kurri, there's no support groups at all in my town and only a breast cancer and a brain tumour one locally. I've got a social worker from CLIC Sargent as they cover up to 25 year olds. She comes round for a chat sometimes and visited me in hospital. She hasn't been able to recommend anything closer to me than Oxford, which is too far for me to travel easily.

You don't sound at all smug Gig and it's lovely to hear about the little gigs. I just love children so much and without meaning to sound pathetic or unfeminist, having children was the most important part of my future, I'd just sort of taken it for granted I would be able to. I will just have to try and persuade all of my friends to have babies for me to snuggle smile and my periods may come back, I have six eggs in the freezer and then there's donor eggs or adoption, so I'm not giving up, it's just going to be a lot more complicated!

I hope your shoulder and hip pain improve. I can't remember the exact story as I was quite young but my mum's friend has four children and when the youngest was a toddler she had to have some kind of scan/x ray etc. and all her insides were sort of tilted to one side, which was apparently because she had carried all her children on the same side shock I don't think it did her any harm at all, just a bit weird.

Ooh Taylor Swift is definitely on the list. Also Rihanna? She winds me up.

coorong I had bowel surgery so a bit different but a few things: if you have long hair, hair ties to hold it back if you are too hot or if you are sick, also a hair band to keep it off your face. Face wipes. Lip balm and hand cream. Mini shower gel and shampoo. I always take a little teddy for when I wake up in the night lonely! blush I also took my alarm clock so I could always see what time it was and count down to visiting hours. Puzzle books. A notebook to write down any questions you think of for the doctors and anything they say on rounds if you're likely to forget. Slippers that you will be happy to throw away afterwards as the floors can be beyond disgusting, especially in the loos. Biscuits or snacks for in between meals/if you don't feel up to eating much. Small change for the shop/trolley.

jane hope your dd's work experience goes well smile

l4k I hope your GP is supportive. The radiographer sounds horrible.

smee well done on your run.

PenPerson Mon 18-Mar-13 21:09:41

Quickly popping in I am in my lead lined isolation room. Internet sometimes.

Had the radioactive tablet this morning. Feel fine just tired. It is all very surreal. Will report back tomorrow.

Hope you are all doing ok.

KurriKurri Mon 18-Mar-13 22:05:40

<hugs> for you Pen in your radioactive room,let us know how you are getting on - am thinking of you xx

l4k Mon 18-Mar-13 22:23:53

Hope you're managing ok, pen. Keep us updated.

hope you're ok in there pen xx

amberlight Tue 19-Mar-13 08:03:46

Morning all

<passes over virtual magazines and snacks to Pen>
How are you doing in there??

6 mth checkup day today. Expect it'll be fine. biscuit

KurriKurri Tue 19-Mar-13 09:32:02

Good luck amber - I'm certain it will be fine, but treat yourself to a nice coffee and something cakeish afterwards anyway smile

NedSchneebly Tue 19-Mar-13 10:15:33

morning all

Having a bit of a stress this morning - emailed Dr Lovely (my gorgeous GP) last week, asking if it was normal to have an occasional period - had a mega one a couple of weeks ago - and she rang me this morning "oh, DrJustAsLovely and I have been trying to get hold of you, your oestrogen is clearly not being suppressed enough, you shouldn't be having periods at all, you need to ring the BCN and you might need different tablets. Ring them now and I'll ring you at lunchtime to find out what's going on"

Bit panicky now sad Any experience of this anyone?

amber got everything crossed for you today.

gig you are not smug, you hear me? You are clearly doing a fab job with your gorgeous girls, in amongst working and doing your OU and getting from one day to the next. Bloody marvellous is what you are smile

pen how's things this morning? Tick off those hours until you can get home. Thinking of you lots x x x x

Must go and do some work - Year 1 writing assessments to do.

Laters lovelies x x x

KurriKurri Tue 19-Mar-13 10:23:00

Ned - don't panic lovely, - well done for querying it though - now they can do something about it (and although your oestrogen is maybe not suppressed enough, it will be suppressed to some extend). Probably just a case of something else will suit you better.

let us know how you get on when they ring later.

I'd had a hysterectomy before I got BC, so have no knowledge of how treatment affects periods, but I do remember people on here saying they have had the odd period on occasion - so I would suspect it is quite common.

Do not stress <makes tea and cake for Ned> xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now