Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rosacea - alternatives to antibiotics

(53 Posts)
TunipTheVegedude Mon 18-Feb-13 10:48:03

Arsing cunting rosacea is trying to ruin my life.

I went to the doc about it last autumn, and he put me on antibiotics, and for a while I looked like a normal person but it also made me very nauseous and I lost a fair bit of weight because it was hard to get food down when I felt so sick.

Have been off the antibiotics for about 2 months and it's come back with a vengeance - I don't just look so hideous I struggle with going out in public, it is also quite itchy and painful.

What other treatments are there? I have another appointment this Fri. Does anyone have any experiences of successful treatments they can share?

Procrastinating Mon 11-Mar-13 18:41:33

I know just how you feel OP. I had rosacea for years and I tried everything. Nothing worked until I got the right antibiotic. It made my life such a misery that I wish I hadn't messed around trying various potions & diets before I went for medication. I tried a few different antibiotics before finding one that suited me, then I took it for over 6 months. It worked.
Rosacea can go into remission, I have been completely free of it for 7 years now. Hope your new antibiotics work for you Turnip, I still look in the mirror every day and feel so thankful that it has gone.

Procrastinating Mon 11-Mar-13 18:43:31

Just wanted to add that I found dead sea mud mask soap (about £3 from Boots) works well, & yes Clinique redness solutions moisturiser, but not the cleanser.

artsybetty Wed 17-Apr-13 23:15:12

Hello to all !
I'm new on here - this is my first post - but just want to say a big thankyou for all the info given here re the rosacea problem - never knew that about the skin mites tho' Eeuuwww!!!!.

After reading this thread a while ago, and after trying countless other preparations, prescription s etc, I bought some sudocreme (yep, it's a babybottom rash creme), and finally, after walking round with facial cheeks that mimic the redness of a baboons bottom for heck knows how many years, I can honestly say that the twice daily application of this cream on my skin is definitely working, and that I'm now more of a mid pink tone, and am not blushing at the drop of a hat anymore!

It does tend to leave a white film on the skin, but at night that's not a problem. Through the day if I'm at home, I've applied it - and hope i don't get any visitors, but I don't know how it would work under make up as I don't use it.

Also, as I read somewhere, I've been using a little fake tan moisturiser to blend my (usually) ghost white complexion with the redness, so that there isn't such an obvious divide between the two.

Hope this is useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now