Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Rosacea - alternatives to antibiotics

(53 Posts)
TunipTheVegedude Mon 18-Feb-13 10:48:03

Arsing cunting rosacea is trying to ruin my life.

I went to the doc about it last autumn, and he put me on antibiotics, and for a while I looked like a normal person but it also made me very nauseous and I lost a fair bit of weight because it was hard to get food down when I felt so sick.

Have been off the antibiotics for about 2 months and it's come back with a vengeance - I don't just look so hideous I struggle with going out in public, it is also quite itchy and painful.

What other treatments are there? I have another appointment this Fri. Does anyone have any experiences of successful treatments they can share?

MrsMushroom Tue 19-Feb-13 17:08:05

Scotch it is odd isn't it? We have deafness, autoimmune thingies and dodgy hips! I'm not surprised....we've been in the same bloody square five miles for about 300 years! Probably need fresh breeding material! grin

I don't drink alcohol but I love coffee, tea and sugar! The herbalist told me to take some probiotic....she said once you get your gut sorted, it goes...she's seen it time and time again...she told me to get the STRONG one...it's nearly thirty pounds though which is a lot for me....I may have to go for it,

TunipTheVegedude Tue 19-Feb-13 17:20:52

I will ask to try a different antibiotic.

TBH I've been very lucky with my health in general and don't have any other autoimmune problems.

I hardly eat any sugar but I do drink too much coffee. I would struggle to give it up altogether but I could cut back.
Anyone find giving up spicy food helps? DH was shock when I mentioned that one to him!

cookielove Tue 19-Feb-13 17:29:06

I have it to sad its nice to know there is a lot more things I can try!! I was put on antibiotics whem I got my diagnosis 2 years ago, however I found it impossible to take them at the right time so eventually gave up. I have been using a cocoa butter bum cream blush which helps smooth and take some of the redness away and also e45 and sudocrem

captainmummy Tue 19-Feb-13 17:29:37

I've had rosacea and noticed that it is vastly improved by a low-carb diet! I'm sure the little mites (yuk) feed on the sweetness on your skin. I've not used AB for about a year. Not sure about the anti-histamines - i also get hay-fever and don't notice any improvement when taking them
Yes mankyscotslass Anti-hs are available over the counter - tesco do Loratedine (sp) and another one beginning with C blush for under £1

Panzee Tue 19-Feb-13 17:32:26

Evening Primrose Oil works well for me.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 19-Feb-13 17:37:05

hmm, I could lower my carbs a bit.
Would switching to brown rice and brown pasta help? I don't eat a lot of white bread or potatoes.

SCOTCHandWRY Tue 19-Feb-13 18:03:39

Mrs mushroom, I think my family has been in the same small patch for about 300 years also!!!

MrsMushroom Tue 19-Feb-13 18:32:32

Captain it's their poo that makes the irritation apparently...people like us are allergic to an enzyme in their poo and as they have no anuses, they just explode when they die and then leave their poo in our skin. [blech]

MegBusset Tue 19-Feb-13 18:37:04

Marking my place as I have rosacea and can't take ABs due to having colitis (another autoimmune disease). Funnily enough DS1 also has food allergies and eczema, and DS2 is being investigated for suspected lupus!

Mine is also worse in the cold weather. It helps if I cut back on sugar and alcohol. The only thing I use on my face is Avene Cleanance Gel.

TunipTheVegedude Tue 19-Feb-13 18:41:04

I do love the bit about the exploding poo. Next time a little bugger of a child at dcs' school asks why my face is so read I'm going to give them the full explanation, exploding poo and all, not forgetting to mention that EVERYONE has these mites on their face <evil laugh>

TunipTheVegedude Tue 19-Feb-13 18:41:24

red, not read. Obviously.

grin

I need to do something - I have given up the booze, and sugary drinks - next step is my tea drinking habit - and I will try to cut down on my carbs - not easy when we are on a budget to start with and I bulk everything out with them!

MrsMushroom Tue 19-Feb-13 21:29:47

I am going for the probiotic stuff...it's stronger than those little yogurt things..I will invest and report back when I have it.

I can't say I'll give up coffee because I'll die if I do....I've got exploding, shit ridden mites all over my cheeks.....that's enough hardship if you ask me!

earlybird71 Tue 19-Feb-13 23:10:46

Hello there, I have had papulopustular rosacea since my early 30s, was worst in my 40s and 50s, now it's almost unnoticeable. I got rid of it by using Body Shop tea tree oil products since last summer. I use them after cleansing, let them soak in and then moisturise with their aloe vera or Vitamin E as the tea tree products aren't moisturising enough. Their tea tree oil is cut with a carrier oil so you can apply straight to your skin. My rationale was that tea tree is toxic to skin mites so if I kept battering them with it their numbers would diminish. I had tried it previously but a bit half heartedly but keeping it up finally seemed to work. I had just accepted that I had 'bad skin' and it feels really liberating to just wear moisturiser and a teeny bit of concealer to hide slight redness. I hope you find something that helps.

TunipTheVegedude Wed 20-Feb-13 10:07:26

It's interesting how many people seem to have had positive results with tea tree oil. Unfortunately it made mine worse. I think my skin was just too sensitive to it.

Vagndidit Wed 20-Feb-13 10:17:23

I recently tried the dandruff shampoo suggestion that I read here on MN to disastrous results. My skin is much, much worse as a result. I even gave it a month to settle down, but nothing sad

Right now I'm having greater success with E-45 cream at night as well as cutting out berries from my diet. I'm lowcarbing so this is a massive pita to give up, but I'm tired of looking like a pimply pizza faced teen.

earlybird71 which tea tree products from the Body Shop do you use?

TunipTheVegedude Sat 23-Feb-13 10:59:45

I saw the doctor yesterday and when I told him about the nausea problems with the last antibiotic, he said there's a new one that might be better, so I'm starting with that.

He also said mine was so bad I should take it all the time, rather than having a few months off as most people do shock

(<starts to get competitive about rosacea> Tea tree oil? My demodex mites drink tea tree oil for breakfast!)

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Hope everyone else with rosacea manages to find something that helps x

Hi OP,

Glad you are trying something new, hope it works!

I would really encourage you though to see a dermatologist, even if you have to pay to go privately. GPs are generally very bad at diagnosing and treating rosacea. It's possible you don't even have rosacea but some other kind of eczema or acne.

Also you may end up trying a load of different things just by guesswork whereas a dermatologist will give you a proper plan and help you figure out your triggers.

I know it sucks to give up so many things, but what can you do? Try to remember you're not giving them up forever. It's very common for rosacea to go into remission (mine mostly is).

Also I really recommend using Cetaphil cleanser (it's non-soap, super gentle and usually recommended by derms) and only using products for sensitive skin (ideally paraben free).

TunipTheVegedude Sat 23-Feb-13 11:46:06

Thanks DreamingBohemian.

DH is also very keen for me to see a dermatologist. If these drugs don't work, I will.

I use Cetaphil. It's great - when I started it my skin immediately became smoother and less dry and flaky. I think practically everything else I used in the last few years irritated my skin. I used to use things that were far too harsh, before I sussed out I had rosacea not acne.

TunipTheVegedude Sat 23-Feb-13 11:46:44

It's really good to hear it often goes into remission, too. I didn't know that; I thought it only ever got worse.

Ah glad you already know about Cetaphil, it's great isn't it?

I also use Avene products for moisturising and such, they are for very sensitive skin.

Yes it can go into remission -- mine was quite bad when I first got it, about ten years ago? Then it calmed down a lot when I moved to England -- I don't know if it was the cooler weather, the water, or what, but it definitely improved, and after a couple years it pretty much faded. Now it's just like I have very sensitive skin but I don't do any special treatments.

My stepmother also has rosacea and has had long periods of remission, although it can come back.

There's no way to know what will happen but at least have some hope it might go away mostly! That's why I suggest trying to suck it up and avoid all the triggers for a while. If you can calm things down for a while it might not flare up again so badly.

pollypandemonium Sat 23-Feb-13 12:27:36

Marking my place here. I have pinched my daughters prescription for a product called Finacea. It seems to work by unclogging the pores blocked by the mites. You can feel it working. Not brilliant results yet but it feels like its doing the right thing. Ver expensive to buy though.

roundabout1 Sat 09-Mar-13 19:33:27

My skin is suffering a bad flare up at the mo, started with a small patch of spots & very red nose, the normal symptoms & then had a few big spots, now 2 weeks later I have quite a lot of spots & the original ones are still very big & red. I started using tea tree products on it & not sure if this has made it worse or not.

Bonners Mon 11-Mar-13 18:28:00

very interesting post! My dad had it and told me when I was in my twenties that it is hereditary. I thought I'd bypassed it but now in my thirties it is a real nuisance. I've not gone to the Dr as I don't want anti-bs so assumed there was nothing else they could do.
I'm convinced that an anti-inflammatory diet helps (no wheat, red meat, sugar, processed food or alcohol) but I haven't the time or energy to follow it with DS 2.5yrs. The mite connection is interesting so I might see my GP after all for a derm referral.
I use Clinique redness solutions soothing cleanser, moisturizer, foundation and powder and think they're fab. I was told that oil free products are best for rosacea and certainly find I get less irritation from oil free. They're not cheap though! I almost cried when I left a brand new pot in the gym change room and it got nicked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now