Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice needed on how to get rid of sweaty feet and horrible toenails once and for all, please.

(15 Posts)

Please please PLEASE will somebody give me some advice on how to get rid of sweaty feet?

I wash my feet twice a day, and use foot scrub plus also cotton socks and leather shoes.

And still my feet smell. And perspire. Yucky yuck, so embarrassing.

My feet in general are horrible. I use a ped-egg for the dry skin and overnight foot rescue stuff, as I wouldn't allow any poor pedicurist (for want of a better word) anywhere NEAR my feet.
Sandals or any pretty feminine open shoes are a no goblush

In fact, my toenails are not good either, they crumble and look unsightly. Are both the problems linked? Please advise..

RockinD Sun 17-Feb-13 18:54:33

Treat yourself to a session with a qualified podiatrist. It'll cost you about £30-40 but it will be money well spent - and they've seen it all before won't be horrified.

They can treat the horrid dry skin and the nasty nails.

Money well spent in my view.

mangledmess Sun 17-Feb-13 19:02:19

Have you tried foot deoderant? it comes in a spray for the feet and a talc to sprinkle in your socks and shoes. Do not wear the same shoes 2 days in a row to allow them to air out the insides. The toe nail thing sounds like fungal nail and a GP can send a small clipping to the lab to be tested and you can get a prescription of a nail varnish like curanail to apply.

hi rockin, hoping to find something before I resort to seeing a chiro, that is my last resort, but thanks, I'm not dismissing your advice. smile

mangled, I've also tried the talc/deod, think it was Scholl, also the shoe liners. Even with them, my feet slide. I try to alternate my shoes as much as I can. Thanks for your advice too.

NCforAdvice Sun 17-Feb-13 19:21:08

Google Idromed.
It's an electrical device which will stop your feet from sweating.
It's very expensive, but you will use it for years and it will change your life.
Everything else is useless, but you've already discovered that!
No more sliding in sandals and wearing closed shoes in the summer which makes it worse, and no more ruined shoes, so that will be a saving!
Fungus on feet is caused by excess moisture, so your problems are very much related.

CarlingBlackMabel Sun 17-Feb-13 19:26:41

Have you been to the GP?

could it be this?.

If so it can be teated with anti-biotics.

My sister had this. She just thought she had v smelly feet and yukky nails.

babraham Sun 17-Feb-13 19:49:15

My dh had incredibly stinky feet which made his socks and shoes smell horrible.
He tried so many things, then I found a spray in boots, it cost about £10 but it's worth every penny because in no time at all it's fixed them. I definitely notice when he's not used it for a while though because they start to pong again!

m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Peditech-Actifresh-Odour-Spray-100ml-up-to-8-months-supply_1049070/

babraham Sun 17-Feb-13 19:51:35

Sorry try again with the link

smelly foot spray

ProphetOfDoom Sun 17-Feb-13 20:11:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Funnily enough, I'm going to Boots this week, so going to make a list from suggestions made on here. I also need to see my gp about something else anyway, so I will mention the sweaty feet/grotty nail problem while I'm there. Sandals, here I come ! smile

shmaltz, yes, the ped egg does work for a bit, but the dry skin comes back. Thats on the side of my big toe on each foot. Euurgh sad

weegiemum Sun 17-Feb-13 21:02:25

I always thought I'd never let a pedicurist near my feet.

Till my bf paid for it for me.

Ive got a problem with my nerves and can't feel my feet properly, so my friend has offered to pay for a monthly pedicure. It took me 6 months to agree but -ohhh yes! - it's made a massive difference!

IndigoBarbie Sun 17-Feb-13 21:04:37

I've heard that bathing your feet in calcium bentonite clay (aka fullers earth) can help to treat many conditions, if you google for the clay it'd be worth a shot smile Good luck xx

lunar1 Sun 17-Feb-13 21:15:32

No idea if you can get it on the nhs but DH has treated people with botox for severe problems with sweaty feet. Might be worth asking your GP.

thanks Indigo, I'll look out for that too. I'm not discounting any pedicure advice either. Will keep you updated about my (soon to be) sweet feet. Or should that be happy feet? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now