Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Adult acne, agnus castus and breastfeeding?

(2 Posts)

I would try and establish the cause rather than just only treat the symptoms.
A condition called polycystic ovaries can cause such problems to arise re adult onset acne. It may be an idea to have blood tests done to check your current hormonal levels along with having an internal ultrasound scan done to see if the ovaries are polycystic.

Self medicating with AC is not always a good idea as it can make some underlying hormonal problems worse. If you do want to use AC I would ask a medically qualified herbalist beforehand re dosages and particularly as you are currently BF. Natural as well does not always mean safe.

BabCNesbitt Fri 15-Feb-13 05:29:28

DD now 15 months old and still BFing. Periods came back about 3 or 4 months ago, and since then, for the first time in my life, I've had horrible cysts and whiteheads along my jawline and around my hairline every month (well, actually about 3 weeks out of every 4!) Would prefer not to go down the medical route for the spots if possible - I'm in the US and I don't want to spend a fortune on doctors - but wondered about taking agnus castus tincture to regulate hormones, in case that's what's making my face erupt. But I've read mixed information as to the safety of taking it when breastfeeding (eg a cached page on Kellymom said it was OK, but other sites say no) - can anyone advise? Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now