Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really Worried about abnormal smear test result - high grade dyskaryosis found - should I be?

(4 Posts)
Bluesclueless Mon 11-Feb-13 23:21:15

I've just had a letter from the doctor after having my first smear test (@ 27 yrs- I know I should have gone at 25 but I've been working abroad). Its come back with abnormal cell changes and says that they found "high grade dyskaryosis" shock in my sample and I have been given an appointment at the local hospital to have a coloscopy and possible treatment (in 3 weeks time). I am really, really worried as I have read that "high grade dyskaryosis" is likely to mean CIN3 changes - which seem to be the most serious. I am guessing that high grade dyskaryosis means 'severe'. It's so scary!

Also as a teenager I may have picked up HPV accidentally, though this was never confirmed in subsquent health checks and is not mentioned in my test result. I am worried that this has had an effect.

I am so scared that they will find these serious pre-cancerous cells or worse cancer itself. A friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer, which makes the test result ever more worrying (though she had symptoms, whereas I haven't had any)!

Has anyone had the same result as me and been absolutely fine? It would really help me feel better. I haven't slept all night as I have been so worried about this. sad sad

Also I read that being on the pill for prolonged period of time can add to the risk, so that's got me thinking about stopping just in case!

digerd Tue 12-Feb-13 12:06:00

Just looked up Dyskaryosis on Google, and normally " high grade" is classed as "moderate"
30 years ago I was diagnosed with Displasia grade 4 which was also called CIS < Carcinoma in Situ>. Had it all taken away and never returned.

BelaLug0si Tue 12-Feb-13 21:08:00

Hi
Can I suggest you read this recent thread, where I've posted some useful links and there's a bit of discussion about what the results mean. There's someone else who's recently had the same result.

Bluesclueless Thu 14-Feb-13 18:32:26

Thank you so much both! Sounds like many others have gone through the same thing and are fine. I do still have butterflies though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now