Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cervical Abrasion anyone?

(8 Posts)
Stase Sun 10-Feb-13 20:59:44

I've been taking Cerazette for about a year, with no periods for the first nine months and then really irregular bleeding for a lot of the last three months - sometimes heavy, sometimes light, the odd day off and then back on again.
I had a pelvic exam and swabs on Friday and the doctor said I had a large cervical abrasion and has referred me to hospital. She also did a smear which would have been due in May anyway.
Obviously I'll know more after seeing the hospital doctor/gynae, but I can't help feeling worried. She said the usual treatment is lasering/cauterisation confused
Has anyone else had this?

PixelAteMyFace Sun 10-Feb-13 21:21:37

I had this when I was 20, I had been experiencing constant spotting. I had cauterisation.

The procedure was slightly uncomfortable rather than painful, no worse than having a coil fitted.

Thirty years later and I`ve had no further problems [fingers crossed emoticon]

Stase Sun 10-Feb-13 21:43:06

Thank you, wondering if I can get out of having the cauterisation - it sounds horrific!
Never had a coil fitted, but hoping to come off the pill once DH has had the post-snip all-clear, but don't know if that will clear it up without a procedure of some kind.

NowIncognito Sun 10-Feb-13 21:49:28

Hi Stase - could the doctor have said cervical erosion rather than abrasion? (Also known as cervical ectropion.) If so, it's a very common and harmless condition, but if causing nuisance bleeding you can chat through your options with the gynaecologist - no treatment is certainly one of the options!

Stase Sun 10-Feb-13 21:58:51

Having Googled on my return from the docs (I know...) it seems all three terms are interchangeable, abrasion and erosion being out of use mostly.
Glad to hear no treatment might be an option! smile
I hate waiting for appts like this...

bellaboo82 Sun 24-Feb-13 23:59:58

Hi there!
Just wanted to say I'm laying in bed the night before my cauterisation and I'm feeling pretty panicky. I have to have it because I've got ectropion cervix. Have you heard back from GP/hospital?

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 25-Feb-13 21:44:38

I had one recently, also been taking cerazette, it actually healed up before cauterisation. I've been advised to stop taking hormonal contraception because it only happens to me when I take it.

Stase Thu 28-Feb-13 20:56:31

I stopped taking the pill last week,and have an appt booked for about three weeks time. No bleeding since the appt with the GP weirdly... If it stays away, an if the gynae says it's ok, I'll leave it be. I hope your procedure goes well bellaboo - let us know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now