Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergic to Anusol, replacement?

(9 Posts)
jbrown269 Fri 09-Aug-13 11:47:22

I am having an horrendous time . Hadnt been to toilet for over a week when I did I got piles. Went to dr and she gave ne anusol hc and used it one day and nite . Woke up next day in horrendous pain I now have ulcers on my piles and the surrounding skin were the cream came in contact . Now dr told me to have salt baths and pain killers but not getting any better im in agony . Plz can someone help me :'(

SungirlDreaming Sat 09-Feb-13 14:47:51

have picked up some witch hazel so will start on that.. and stocked up on aloe gel too.

1978andallthat Thu 07-Feb-13 22:30:14

Tucks witch hazel wipes sorted me out. And get licodaine from Gp for the itching

SungirlDreaming Thu 07-Feb-13 22:27:51

thanks for the replies.... I will try witch hazel to start with but if I don't have any success I'll try the analcare.

I found over the counter anti histamines can help combat the itch. Have a look at Analcare www.analcare.co.uk/ which is pricey but I found it to be very effective. Good luck.

Footle Wed 06-Feb-13 07:01:43

Xyloproct, which I have only had on prescription. Much more effective than over the counter stuff, but I don't know if it can be allergenic.

SungirlDreaming Tue 05-Feb-13 16:28:01

Hi SpanishFly

I had heard about witchhazel, thanks.

Sorry to hear you suffer so badly sad

SpanishFly Tue 05-Feb-13 14:21:56

witch hazel is good to stop the itching. You need to - ahem - soak a cotton wool ball, and very gently wedge it in place, iyswim, so it stays on it overnight. (Wearing a pad too helps soak up any wetness from the cotton wool)

Sorry, dont know re alternatives - I use Anugesic HC, as I am beyond over-the-counter remedies now blush

SungirlDreaming Tue 05-Feb-13 14:14:18

I'm really going through it at the moment "down there".. on the back of my previous post about Replens I wanted to ask about treatment for piles, or at least that is what I think it is.

I got in a mess a few weeks ago.. went to the docs as I was bleeding when I had a bowel movement. She didn't seem all that bothered. She had a look and said I had one small pile.

I told her I had been using anusol and said to carry on. Well, I did that and ended up terribly itchy and sore with the pile getting a lot worse.

I was at my wits end and tried all sorts of things thinking the problem was getting worse... then I did some research and found people can be allergic to anusol... so I stopped using it and just used Aloe Gel which soothed the itching and the pile has now shrunk down to what it used to be like and I am much less sore and itchy.. but I am woken every night with the itch. I go put some aloe gel on it and it calms down again.

I am wondering if I now need to find a replacement to the anusol but I am worried I will have the same reaction to stuff like preparation H and germiloids.

Has anyone else had this reaction to anusol and what have you used instead?

Thanks heaps again...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now