Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

booked to give blood but im scared

(34 Posts)
familyfun Mon 04-Feb-13 15:24:32

ive always been scared of needles, but after 2 kids, blood tests and anti d injections ive got used to them a bit.
ive booked first time to give blood and im really scared.
how long does the blood come out for?
when you have a blood test and they take 5 littkle tubes, will they take lots more than that?
what if i faint will i be wasting their time?
i am going to do this next week but im panicking already
help

HermioneE Sun 10-Feb-13 12:38:03

Good for you for booking smile

It does take a bit of time so I recommend having a book/phone handy. Only 5/10 mins but it's long enough that it's nice to have something to do.

Blood donation nurses are totally practiced at this though so they'll make it as painless as possible.

Good luck, enjoy feeling nice and smug afterwards! grin

Baffledandbewildered Sun 10-Feb-13 21:53:24

You are very brave but please look after yourself afterwards. My then 18 year old son gave blood twice, he was ill after the first time and has never properly recovered from the second time. He is now 22 and still not right always weak and catching illnesses ect. I say this as someone who has received blood transfusion so i am not anti them. Just take care of your self smile

Zavi Sun 10-Feb-13 21:57:30

Wow!

Good for you for even trying!

I am very impressed!

Good girl!

Jestrin Mon 11-Feb-13 17:01:10

gobbin my DH does too smile

familyfun Thu 28-Feb-13 14:54:20

just an update, i went and had the fingerprick test, all was fine till i got on the bed and the nurse couldnt get a vein, said my veins are too small?
she asked me was i sure i was over 7 stone, which im lots over but quite tall.
she said i cant give blood, would need to put on a stone, or try again in 2 years.
didnt think weight had anything to do with it and ive just put on a stone so will have to leave it for now.
felt quite deflated going home, never mind.

alanyoung Thu 07-Mar-13 21:34:54

Familyfun. Sorry you were not able to donate this time, but keep trying. Most contributors have focussed on improving your confidence about the actual process which is great, but if you concentrate on the good you are doing you will not worry about the process so much, so please go back as soon as you can and try again.

I'm blood group O Negative and apparently this can be given to anyone as it does not cause problems when mixed with blood of different groups. This means it can be given to someone in an emergency (road traffic accident, for example) so I was glad to be able to donate. But even though I am supposed to be a tough GUY, I did literally cry when one of the nurses told me they also give it to new born babies.

If you have a rare blood group, it is just as important to give because there will naturally be a smaller amount of a rare group, but people with those blood groups need it just as much as anyone else. Also, blood groups tend to be geographically based to some extent, so a donor of a rare group may be able to help someone from a different country who needs blood urgently.

Keep up the good work and well done for trying.

Thewhingingdefective Thu 07-Mar-13 21:41:09

Don't be scared! You will be fine and will be well looked after.

Drink plenty of water and eat something before hand and afterwards.

My last donation was last week. I was there for just under an hour but that is cos I got chatting while having biccies and squash. The donation itself took five minutes.

Thewhingingdefective Thu 07-Mar-13 21:56:05

Oh, just seen you couldn't donate. What a shame, but good on you for going.

Mama1980 Thu 07-Mar-13 22:00:03

Aww familyfun don't feel deflated you tried and that counts.
Just want to add my thanks again to you and everyone else on here who donates blood after two extreme prem delivers and a car crash in the last 5 years you have all saved me and my sons a hundred times over.
Thank you thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now