Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ongoing headaches-at which point do I get them checked out?

(11 Posts)
olivo Sun 03-Feb-13 14:20:27

I have been suffering from headaches or about a month now? I've never really been a headache sort of person so to used to them. For the past few days, paracetamol hasn't been getting rid of them. I am pretty sure they are caused by stress, but am to really in a position to do much about the stress.

Should I be making an appt with the GP?

jalopy Sun 03-Feb-13 14:49:18

Yes. See GP. Another suggestion is to visit optician too.

anywinewilldo Sun 03-Feb-13 15:44:53

Try chiropractor. Very good for stress headaches. If it doesn't help, then see GP.

MysteriousHamster Sun 03-Feb-13 16:07:27

There is also a possibility that you are getting rebound headaches from the medication. If you use ibu/para every day, then when you stop them you will start getting headaches, then take more. It's hard to break the cycle.

I have literally (it stopped today) just had a week-long migraine and I think I extended it by taking ibu/para every day (which weren't helping it anyway). The first day I took no medication was the worst of all for it sad

However there could be other/different factors at play too, so please do see a doctor.

olivo Sun 03-Feb-13 18:57:05

I have had my eyes done recently so hopefully ok, but i will double check. Have to say, didn't think about a chiropractor, could be an idea. I also didn't think about rebound- I have been on and off painkillers since just before Christmas, mostly for sinuses which are now, I hope, sorted, I thought the headaches were cos of that initially.

Looks like its cold turkey for a bit then.......hmm

FlatCapAndAWhippet Thu 07-Feb-13 01:36:56

Olivo, how did you sort your sinuses? I have had a sinus headache every morning since Christmas. I'm on antibiotics but still no difference.

Thats why I'm awake now, I find if I elevate my head it eases slightly but this is nearly driving me crazy!

fedupandtired Thu 07-Feb-13 09:44:32

Anything that's unusual for you needs checking out my your GP rather than you second guessing. Obviously serious conditions need ruling out as highly unlikely as that is but also different causes need different treatments. I was convinced I was suffering with migraines, saw GP who ruled them out and diagnosed tension headaches which requires different treatment.

I second what MysteriousHamster said about refound headaches. Try laying off the pain relief for afew days, it will worst before it gets better, if that's the cause.

If the headache still hasn't gone after 3 days go and see your GP.

olivo Fri 08-Feb-13 20:33:03

Flat cap, I haven't sorted myself sinuses totally. As I have had my fifth infection in 5 months, they have referred me to ENT. I've just had another load of Abs that has sorted them for now.

olivo Fri 08-Feb-13 20:34:59

Thank you, I have not taken paracetamol for a few days now, have had a headache for 2 of those days but have been stressed beyond belief. Am on holiday for a week now ,so hoping they disappear.

FlatCapAndAWhippet Sun 10-Feb-13 18:50:05

Well my antibiotics seem to have worked for now, the head aches not totally gone but there's a huge improvement.

Gosh it's grim isn't it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now