Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diagnose DH - gastrointestinal and fatigue problems

(10 Posts)
nomadwantshome Fri 01-Feb-13 21:44:27

For well over a month maybe two DH has been suffering fatigue, nausea and diarhea. He is currently on meds but has been for years and has had those checked out for toxicity,

Diahrea has been getting worse, today 8 times. After some careful interrogation he's told me that stools are Bloody and mucusy. I am general health Sherlock. It looks like ulcerative colitis. I've told him he MUST got to the gp as last time he didn't tell them frequency of poo or blood and mucus. I told him he must. Last time he went she rather helpfully said she didn't know what the nausea was. Blood test revealed no toxicity for current meds (not tested for anything else!)

I've told him he needs a full blood test along with some other options, autoimmune, deficiency etc. maybe a stool sample.

Anyone have some sherlock ideas?

Bunbaker Fri 01-Feb-13 21:47:00

He must see his GP. The problem won't go away on its own.

DH had similar symptoms but refused to go to the doctor for a long time, despite pressure from me and close friends. He eventually lost a stone and a half in weight, became very anaemic and started getting joint pains and night sweats. He eventually went to his GP, who referred him for a colonoscopy. It showed full-on Crohns, with massive ulcers everywhere. He went on some serious medication and started to gradually get better. Has now been well and off all meds for years.

nomadwantshome Sat 02-Feb-13 19:52:20

Thanks I'll keep th pressure on. I suspect he'll say that he's feeling better when I mention it again

sannaville Sat 02-Feb-13 20:38:48

He needs to go, blood in stools can indicate bowel cancer (which I'm sure its not) but always best to get checked regardless of whether he says he feels better

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 03-Feb-13 09:47:02

Based on the title alone, I wondered coeliac.....but from your OP, yes I'd say it's likely to be ulcerative colitis or chrons. But sanna is right, it could be more serious. He absolutely needs to see his GP. This week.

Tieni Sun 03-Feb-13 10:23:10

Please get him to see the GP and get referred. This happened to me 5 years ago, was tested for coeliac and had a colonoscopy to check for Crohns, ulcerative colitis and bowel cancel. Not pleasant tests but they showed my lower bowel was covered in big green ulcers and wa diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

Treatment was steroids at a very high dose followed by a low maintenance dose for a few years, which wasn't fun but after 3 years came off them and have been fine ever since.

This can't go on, he really has to see someone asap. Good luck.

Tieni Sun 03-Feb-13 10:29:22

Please get him to see the GP and get referred. This happened to me 5 years ago, was tested for coeliac and had a colonoscopy to check for Crohns, ulcerative colitis and bowel cancel. Not pleasant tests but they showed my lower bowel was covered in big green ulcers and wa diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.

Treatment was steroids at a very high dose followed by a low maintenance dose for a few years, which wasn't fun but after 3 years came off them and have been fine ever since.

This can't go on, he really has to see someone asap. Good luck.

Tieni Sun 03-Feb-13 10:30:11

Sorry phone posted twice, still a novice at this!

nomadwantshome Sun 03-Feb-13 17:35:54

Thanks all. He's been complaining alot today and I think I've convinced him to go to GPs pronto. He's also been googling himself and that may tip the scale.

He's also got a bad back and is so fed up with it all. I won't let this lie and will book an appt if he doesn't and drag him along.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now