Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recovery time after removal of plates and screws (ankle)

(8 Posts)
duchesse Sun 10-Feb-13 01:55:20

Thank you all. You are right of course about doing what I'm told. I'm pleased to report that I have no pain any more, apart from where the wound is, and am pretty much back to normal in terms of mobility. I'm having the stitches out on Monday so looking forward to that healing up quickly!

mawbroon Thu 31-Jan-13 22:28:24

I had a long plate with six screws on one side and two long screws on the inside of my ankle. I had them removed after about 9 months and wasn't told to take it easy at all! He said don't go playing football or anything, but everyday walking etc should be fine.

I was hobbling about until I got the staples out around 10 days later and then it was business as usual after that.

tipsytrifle Thu 31-Jan-13 19:05:52

I would imagine that the bone has to repair after the screws. There may yet be some swelling as surgery is intrusive and soft tissue's been disturbed for a third time (original event, surgery, more surgery) Remember that your metalwork and bone have been working together too; bone has to get used to not having its "friend" there now. You have a fresh incision to heal as well. It also depends on what you call "normal" activity! Rock climbing might be out for awhile yet!

duchesse Thu 31-Jan-13 19:03:31

Absolutely fine! The incision is a bit sore but everything else feels normal.

I guess I'm on the knitting for a while yet then...

lljkk Thu 31-Jan-13 18:57:46

DH only had screws taken out (had been no plate) & that was a bit of a non-event.
His opinion is you go on how you feel. Respect any pain. How does it feel when you go straight from elevated to putting weight on it? Okay or weak?

CMOTDibbler Thu 31-Jan-13 18:32:37

Worst case - well theres soft tissue damage from getting a lot of swelling, a fracture through the screw holes... He didn't say it for fun, he wants you to have a good long term outcome.

RockinD Thu 31-Jan-13 18:28:17

They don't give you this advice for the hell of it. You know it makes sense. grin and bear it.

I couldn't say what would be the worst that could happen, but would you really want to risk it? They've just removed some serious metalwork there. Please, give it time to heal.

duchesse Thu 31-Jan-13 18:23:23

I had some metalwork (seven screws and a plate) taken out of my ankle the day before yesterday and I've been told to "take it easy" by the consultant for about a month, and to keep my foot up for a fortnight.

The thing is, I feel pretty much fine on the whole. I have a big bandage and some stitches under it so can't wear proper footwear yet, but what's the worst that can happen if I go back to pretty much normal life? There's no pain even though I've stopped the paracetamol and ibuprofen and there's only so much foot up a person can bear...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now