Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

scarlet fever - how bad is the sickness part?

(17 Posts)

I'm pretty sure I've been exposed to scarlet fever in the last few days. As of last night I have a horrible sore throat and currently feeling pretty rubbish . Lots of bugs going round atm so probably one of those but anyway...

I have chronic gastritis. I am pretty much terrified of getting sick in case it triggers the terrible nausea I had when the gastritis started. My stomach is very weak.

So my eventual question is, I know vomiting is a symptom but is it usually severe prolonged vomiting or more of secondary symptom? Need to know what I might be up against!

Help!

usualsuspect Wed 30-Jan-13 17:00:09

When my DD had Scarlet fever, I don't recall her being sick at all. Just a sore throat and a rash. It was a long time a go now though.

That's the kind of answer I need!

fivesacrowd Wed 30-Jan-13 17:11:34

One if my mindees had it last week. Wasn't sick, horrible sore throat and rash though!

So it might be possible to have it and not be sick? I feel a bit calmer now!

carbondated Wed 30-Jan-13 19:17:33

DD had it when she was 5 (also a long long time ago). I thought it was tonsilitis until she came out in a strange rash which then started to peel. I don't remember sickness being a main feature of hers. Mainly the very sore throat and very unusual rash. Fingers crossed you don't get it but wouldn't worry about the tummy aspect unduly.

bigbluebus Wed 30-Jan-13 20:40:13

DD has also had it although probably about 10 yrs ago now. Don't remember her being sick either but was covered in a rash.

Thanks so much for the responses. DD has now gone to bed with a slight temp - she's got some spots on her arms? confused

Will keep a close eye ...

Sorry should add she is 6 and exposed to the same child as I was.

Haemadoots Wed 30-Jan-13 20:55:04

Dd had it a few year ago, wasn't sick at all, very high temp, sore throat, then the rash came, oh and gp said the strawberry tongue was a giveaway, I was worried I would catch it but he said most adults have been exposed to it in childhood and I may just get a sore throat.

sittinginthesun Wed 30-Jan-13 20:57:51

My sister had it when we were children. Don't remember her being sick, but she had a very high temperature and sore throat. Was many years ago, though.

Chocaholics Wed 30-Jan-13 21:11:38

I've had Scarlett fever, had a rash, temp, sore throat but no sickness. Fingers crossed you are ok.

ok I've now had the worst swollen sore throat of my life for 48 hours. I feel awful. what the hell do I have?

PurityBrown Fri 01-Feb-13 13:55:37

Scarlet Fever is caused by the same bacteria as Strep sore throat, which you've probably got ATM. It's 2-3 weeks of sore throat, fever and (sometimes) peeling skin rashes...usually self limiting but you can get antibiotics for it, which will resolve the infection in a few days.

Gargle with aspirin and salt water to relieve the sore throat, paracetamol for the fever and see the doctor for ABX if you are having problems with breathing or swallowing.

(We've just had Strep. sore throat (DD2) and Scarlet Fever (DS2) here.

2-3 WEEKS???

<cries>

PurityBrown Sat 02-Feb-13 11:50:40

Get some Antibi's, will clear up in a couple of days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now