Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have had tonsilitis for 3 weeks now. Help!

(12 Posts)
MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sun 27-Jan-13 21:20:49

I've been on penicillin but everytime i finish the course it comes back. It hurts, I have breath like rotten cheese and,most of all,it bloody hurts!

Does anyone have any tips on getting rid of it? I seem to remember gargling with TCP was a favourite back in the day (can you even get TCP these days?)

Any vitamins i should be taking, food eating, drugs taking.

Its getting me down a bit now to be honest.

Gargle with dilute hydrogen peroxide. Will oxidise the bacteria. Do it 3 times a day for 7 days.

I eventually had to have tonsillectomy as became immune to the antibiotics and until I got my referral hydrogen peroxide was my lifeline

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 27-Jan-13 21:23:39

I'm going to go and ask for mine out. I'm so sick of having tonsillitis.

MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sun 27-Jan-13 21:27:26

Thank you Madamc. Where do you get hydrogen peroxide?

I used to get it all the time up until i was about 25. I am now 42 and i cannot remember the last bout, but this one is making up for the missing yrs, Bloody horrible it is!

Pleaseputyourshoeson Sun 27-Jan-13 22:34:18

Gargling with salt water and vinegar helped me. Vile but effective.

skullcandy Sun 27-Jan-13 23:23:20

if it keeps coming back, then its either viral and not bacterial, or they're not putting you on a strong/long enough course.

they stopped giving me Amoxycillin for it back in the day because it stopped working, and put me on something considerably stronger.

Go back to the drs, explain and push for an ENT referral. Getting mine taken out 14 years ago was the best decision i EVER made.

hatgirl Sun 27-Jan-13 23:29:00

take ibuprofen every four hours and get some tyrozets. Drink plenty of water and avoid dairy, acidic and sugary drinks and food.

I feel your pain!

hatgirl Sun 27-Jan-13 23:29:58

my advice won't cure it as such but it makes it more bearable and gives you a better chance of fighting it off and letting the antibiotics do their thang.

hatgirl Sun 27-Jan-13 23:31:24

thing! I am not a 90s american throwback I promise!

Just at the chemist. Is about 60p and you dilute it 1:4 parts water.

PotionMaker Mon 28-Jan-13 06:51:02

You poor thing, I had it for 2 weeks before Christmas and it was agonising, I wanted to die!
I found gargling with soluble Aspirin really helped, particularly for pain relief. Also gargling with tea tree oil in water (3 drops in a small glass of water) is v antibacterial and antiviral so can help. Friends recommended Difflam (from chemist) which didn't help me but they swore by it.
Would also suggest a good multivitamin and have an oil burner going in your house with strong antiviral and antibacterial essential oils in it like thyme, eucalyptus and lemon.
Hope you get better soon, I really sympathise there is no pain like it.

Fairylea Mon 28-Jan-13 07:02:15

I would bet you're not on the right antibiotics. I'd go back to the gp and ask for something different and say it's not clearing it.

When I've had major throat infections I've been on huge tablets designed for the black death (!! I kid you not!) .. big yellow tablets, can't recall the name unfortunately. Was the only thing that cleared it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now