Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can someone with kidney experience plz advise

(9 Posts)
sannaville Sun 27-Jan-13 17:24:52

Thank you so much I will do x

mangledmess Sun 27-Jan-13 17:04:33

How worrying for you. The unremarkable tests could be something as simple as not having enough blood in the tube to do the test or by time it reached the lab it was too old blood so could have clotted rather than anything to worry about. I have had a million blood tests and one came back unremarkable but that was because it was put in the wrong tube and not an EDTA one, ( I think that is the correct wording of the tube)

Yes, it is a good idea to ask for a print out as we dont always take in what we are being told when our brain is in a mush.

Let me know how you get on xxx

sannaville Sun 27-Jan-13 16:27:02

They did blood tests for everything and said the rest were unremarkable apparently. Thanks ill ask the nurse for a copy see what she says

mangledmess Sun 27-Jan-13 14:40:37

Pleased I didn't frighten you :-) You could ask the nurse to print you a copy of the last blood tests you had. Some will and some say it is not their policy to give the patient a copy. Like everywhere really some nures like to help and some do not or have time either. Fingers crossed everything comes back fine x

Are they just testing your urea levels? I would think the blood tests would include a full blood count and this shows your GFR which is how they detect how well the kidneys are functioning.

sannaville Sun 27-Jan-13 13:42:47

Thanks for your kind reply. Doc didn't mention what the levels were but said they need to repeat in case I was severely dehydrated (which I doubt ) when they took the first lot . When I go for next blood test I will ask the nurse what my levels were.
No you didn't panic me just glad to have a kind reply many thanks!

mangledmess Sun 27-Jan-13 13:35:49

Good news that your GP is on the ball with finding out whats wrong with you and ordered a scan. I only have experience of an isotope kidney scan which is a one where they insert the dye. I guess once you have your appointment from the hospital it will explain what type of scan you are having. Hospital letters usually enclose an information leaflet of your procedure. Its going to be an awful few weeks or more for you to be worried about this until you have waited for the scan and results. I am thinking positive for you and that the GP hasnt referred you to a nephrologist (kidney doctor) is a good sign.

Try not to worry about your medication and the side effects they print in the leaflets. Every medication I take mentions kidney problems, even my anti rejection drugs do lol.

Do you know what your urea level was ? I am a bit out of touch with kidney related stuff as since my operation I have left the illness behind me. I hope I havnt alarmed you by mentioning transplant im my first reply. I didnt mean to frighten you or to make you think that you need one or that you have kidney failure even. I understand what you will be going through right now and I hope everything turns out good with the next lot of blood tests and scan.

Do you by any chance know the level of your urea ? I know dehyration, hydration and eating a high protein diet can have an effect on the level but in your case you say you are always drinking so that would lower the urea level.

sannaville Sun 27-Jan-13 12:20:15

Thank you mangled that's helpful. They tested for diabetes and thyoid as they thought was thyroid initially but they were clear. Doc said it was special scan of kidney and bladder. I don't take steroids but am on medication for epilepsy which can cause kidney stones and affect the kidneys but never had any issues before.

mangledmess Sun 27-Jan-13 10:04:18

I have had a kidney transplant and a higher than normal urea level CAN BUT NOT ALWAYS be a signal that the the kidney isnt filtering the toxins out of your blood properly. Do you take any steroids ? as that can raise the urea and so can some other medications but i am unsure of which ones. Also the scan you are going to have, is it of the kidney ? That will show if there is anything wrong with the plumbing. Thirst is usually a sign of thyroid or diabetes. I know increased thirst is also a common sign of stress and anxiety which could be why you are drinking so much after daunting news of your blood results. Good thing that you are getting repeated blood tests in 2 weeks. From my experience I would keep off google as you will frighten yourself to bits.

Sorry i am not much help.

sannaville Sat 26-Jan-13 13:31:48

Hi all, had blood test results from gp this week that showed high kidney levels (think its was high BUN/urea levels) being sent for a scan and also repeat blood tee in two weeks time. I have back ache , tiredness, mood swings and face flushing. Since this week I also have extreme thirst and very dry mouth which is a new symptom and also have a constant banging headache. No matter how much I drink m constantly thirsty. Not sure whether to go back to gp or just hang on for repeat bloods on 6 feb and hope that scan comes through before then. She said rest of bloods were 'unremarkable' so scan was needed. Feel quite lethargic and generally unwell but this thirst is driving me nuts. Any advice welcome. I'm 31. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now