Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Why do I get so many colds?? Moan whinge etc

(5 Posts)
chocoluvva Sat 26-Jan-13 09:35:43

Oh yes to Vit D

and probiotics may be helpful too.

stargirl1701 Fri 25-Jan-13 23:40:38

Have you tried supplementing with Vit D? I use this between Oct-Apr every year and it makes such a difference. I am asthmatic too. I take at least 2000 IU a day - well above the UK recommended dose. I have been reading and listening to a lot of research about Vit D and this higher dose seems to be the way the research is pointing.

Chat to your GP. You can have your Vit D levels checked through a simple blood test.

chocoluvva Fri 25-Jan-13 11:25:50

Keep warm - wear a scarf to keep your throat warm.
Keeping yourself warm does help.

chocoluvva Fri 25-Jan-13 11:24:07

The 'first defence' nasal spray is effective if taken soon enough.

Sambucol is supposed to be useful - it is elderberry extract in a syrup.

Zinc supplements - take 15/20mg daily.

Manuka honey and vitamin C might help too.

Try to have a lot of hot drinks.

Raw garlic crunched - if you can stand it and grated ginger in a hot drink.

Rhodiola in tablet or syrup form is well researched for helping with respiratory infections. It is made from pelargonium.

PMTIsMe Fri 25-Jan-13 09:33:05

Apologies to those on this board with serious conditions, I know I'm being a bit wet....but in the winter I seem to be plagued by lots of low level colds. Never awful, but one every 1-3 weeks that keep me snotty and chesty. I am asthmatic so that gets worse too and I spend the winter feeling under the weather. I eat well, wash hands etc...do have youngish DCs but I get colds and they don't confused Any tips on cold avoidance? TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now