Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Hot throbbing thumb, red spot under nail. Should I go to doc - need answer by 8

(11 Posts)

I have to call at 8 to get an appointment.

I can't decide if I am being a wuss. I don't know how I did it but I have a red spot maybe bruise under thumb nail. 3mm maybe. Noticed it Monday and it's gotten worse to now.

I didn't sleep,last night as it was uncomfortable, hot throbbing, it's swollen.

Have I managed to get something infected under the nail. I just squeezed a bit of pus out (sorry!)

Doc or not??

Trumpton Fri 25-Jan-13 07:29:08

I would say yes . It might need lancing ( eww ! ) or antibiotic cream .

therugratref Fri 25-Jan-13 07:30:20

Doc, Its sounds painful

rocketeer Fri 25-Jan-13 07:34:21

Doc. In fact I am waiting to do the same. I have a weird spot on my thumb and a red line travelling towards my wrist! Had one a few years ago so I know I need some cream!

MiniEggsinJanuary Fri 25-Jan-13 07:34:52

Yes to the doc! Remember to exaggerate and be graphic on the phone so they definitely give you an appointment!

THANKS!

shudders at word lancing but tis ok, I don't know what it entails

Trumpton Fri 25-Jan-13 07:49:31

Ooh I could tell you ! But think it better if I don't . Good luck .

tabbycat15 Fri 25-Jan-13 08:36:02

Sounds like a whitlow, a pus filled type of boil.

Well couldn't get an appointment. Typical. Booked one anyway for next Wed as I have a Ganglion needs sorting.

So soaked it in salty water and it sort of burst a bit more which took the pressure away. So it's still sore swollen and red but no longer so hot and throbbing.

MiniEggsinJanuary Fri 25-Jan-13 18:55:35

Glad it's feeling a bit better. You'll have to work on your dramatic acting skills to try and get an appointment next time! You should have said your thumb was hanging off! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now