Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen lump in throat

(4 Posts)
crashdoll Thu 24-Jan-13 19:31:13

I have a swollen lump in my throat. It's a bit sore. It does make swallowing difficult and I do lose my voice quite frequently because of it.

My self-diagnosis is Rheumatoid Arthritis of the cricoarytenoid joint - not the most common of problems. I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago - although less severe - and my rheumatologist mumbled "maybe" when I asked if it was an RA issue.

I finally get around to seeing my GP who thinks it's a thyroid problem and I have a blood test booked next week. If it is my thyroid, does this mean I definitley have some sort of thyroid problem?

frazzledbutcalm Thu 24-Jan-13 20:26:53

Yes. It could be underactive or overactive. Tablets usually control the problem with blood tests every 6 months to ensure levels are correct and adjust tablets accordingly. The lump is probably a goiter, associated with the thyroid problem. Sometimes these go away once the thyroid levels are corrected with medication, sometimes they need to be removed by surgery.

narmada Thu 24-Jan-13 23:05:45

It might also be a very large or awkwardly placed thyroid nodule. These are really common and don't mean you have any form of thyroid disease. Best wait for the blood test results and I am sure they will send you off for an ultrasound or something?

crashdoll Fri 25-Jan-13 07:43:18

Thanks for the replies. It was the thought of possibly needing more medication that was worrying. I'm on 10 different kinds and they all come with side effects - some worse than the actual condition itself. Fingers crossed all will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now