Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Panicking!! Day 3 of facial numbness

(13 Posts)
cumfy Tue 29-Jan-13 01:55:37

I did think Bell's palsy; but if you can move your face/eyes properly it's not that.

mynameis Mon 28-Jan-13 14:31:39

Thanks for all the excellent advice on here, I can always rely on mumsnet to make me feel supported.

GP wasn't sure tbh but thinks its likely to be from the build up of fluid behind my ears. She wants to treat that first and take it from there

Bp was still a little high so need to keep a check on that too.

How to keep my health anxiety in check is a whole other story sad

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 27-Jan-13 21:16:56

I have this on the right side of my face. It's been there for about 4 years now. I saw the GP, dentist and optician first and none of them could see anything wrong, but the dentist referred me to a maxilla facial surgeon who wasn't sure either and referred me to a neurologist who wanted me to have a MRI before I saw him.
I was panicking by now.
Nothing abnormal showed on the MRI so I had blood tests to look for anything and everything.
The only thing that came back abnormal was my thyroid hormones and I have since been diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism.
The face thing is just the same and has been written off as a mono neuropathy of the facial branch trigeminal nerve (I think!).
It causes me no problems whatsoever.
Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

mynameis Fri 25-Jan-13 11:42:03

Have to go back to the gp later today as it was only the nurse available to see me and she said she would prefer it to be checked by the doctor.

Obv this hasn't helped my anxiety one bit and my BP was way up this morning.

Fingers crossed for later sad

carbondated Thu 24-Jan-13 21:56:54

I had numbness (as if a dental anaesthetic was starting to wear off) in my chin, cheek and nose. It was definitely in response to severe stress/anxiety when I was going through traumatic divorce. I think I was probably over-breathing when I didn't realise it. It felt really weird. Can you find a relaxation video on youtube or somewhere and lie down and breathe evenly and calmly. Hope it wears off soon.

digerd Thu 24-Jan-13 19:53:27

I occasionally get numbness and slight tingling in my tongue and chin, but attiribute it to the spondalosis in the neckdiscs, I wiggle my tongue and my head and usually goes away in a minute or two. Very scary the first time I had it, but now I know it is only a temporary nerve problem.

cloudpuff Thu 24-Jan-13 19:42:35

I have Bells Palsy, I got it when I was 12 and it started with a tingling like you describe.
Hopefully its just your anxiety and will pass. Please let us know how you get on at your GP.

ihatethecold Thu 24-Jan-13 19:21:52

My son got Bell's palsy when he was 15. His face definitely dropped on one side. He could still stick his tongue out properly which showed it wasn't a stroke.
He couldn't shut one of his eyes or eat properly.
He has adapted how he eats now to compensate but I don't think facial numbness came into it.
I would get it checked out though.

ginmakesitallok Thu 24-Jan-13 19:13:53

Can you whistle??? (one of the signs of bell's palsy apparently...)

mynameis Thu 24-Jan-13 19:09:51

Thanks for the replies. The rational me which sadly doesn't make an appearance too often these days, realises it probably is anxiety.

Grrr anxiety is exhausting

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Thu 24-Jan-13 18:52:47

I had left sided facial numbness for about six months that, after extensive testing, was put down to anxiety. It it actually a pretty common anxiety symptom, so try not to worry too much smile

tabbycat15 Thu 24-Jan-13 12:13:26

It could be neuralgia or Bell's palsy. Are you having any teeth problems? Best to get checked if you are worried .

mynameis Thu 24-Jan-13 11:48:06

I will start by saying that I am a anxious health worrier so when my left cheek felt numb and tingly a couple of days back I did initially put it down to an anxiety reaction.

Now on day 3 of the same feeling, only other thing wrong with me is cold fingertips. I do suffer with ear problems so I am praying its connected to that.

Please give me some reassurance can't get into gp til tomorrow sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now