Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Prednisolone dosage/ help please

(5 Posts)
seoda24 Wed 23-Jan-13 10:46:45

Hi, have started taking 15mg of prednisolone daily and told to reduce it from that down to 5mg over a month.A bit worried about being on them having read up about these steroids.Was told to take dosage according to my needs.I have bad eczema and allergies at the moment and right now everything is great allergy wise..So , do I decrease the dosage over the month as in a week pf 15mg, 10mg then 2wks of 5mg??Thanks

Metalhead Wed 23-Jan-13 13:26:52

Your doctor should have told you exactly when to reduce by how much - I'd try and speak to them again to clarify. (And don't worry about being on steroids at such a low dose for a short time, I was on them for over a year and had no negative side effects)

WowOoo Wed 23-Jan-13 13:49:51

That sounds right. You could also talk to a pharmacist - usually easier to get hold of than a GP.
You need to count how many you have and then divvy them up into 15..10..5mg. Does that make sense?
Don't worry too much. They've really helped Dh with no major side effects (apart from a bit of stroppiness that's easy to cope with)

seoda24 Wed 23-Jan-13 22:32:59

Thank you so much for answering.I think I read too much about them.I did enquire and ask GP and was told to decrease dosage accordingly so still was not sure.....Just a bit of reassurance so thanks xx

If your gp isn't being helpful I'd speak to the pharmacist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now