Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

About to start methotrexate, any experience / tips?

(70 Posts)

I'm about to start methotrexate for psoriatic arthritis. I work five days a week, two kids and I'm dreading the side effects. Any tips on how to manage? My boss suggested I take them Monday night so as not to ruin my weekend with my family grin. i have a good boss.

I like to be organised so I'm considering asking to work from home they day after the dose for the first while. please tell me if I'm overreacting wink

Hulababy Fri 31-Jan-14 18:51:05

Thanks for responding. Fingers crossed then.

And begging

I mean last year

Ha and this time party year I want thinking about biologics I'm being for them now. Bloody disease

grin I'm still here :-) I've ended up on 25mg. worked pretty well on peripheral joints but zero influence on back. Hope it works for yousmile

Hulababy Fri 31-Jan-14 18:32:51

Oops - sorry, didn't realise this thread was a year old - no idea how it even came up - misread the 13 in the date! Ignore!

Hulababy Fri 31-Jan-14 18:30:23

Handy thread to find today - just started methotrexate today, also for PA.

I already take sulfasalazine, omepraxole, diclofenac, co-codamol ad a small dose of prenisolene. This is to go on top - small dose of just 7,5mg a week, 3 tabs once a week. Also have folic acid to tak - one tablet, once a week - 2 days after taking the methotrexate. Dose of methotrexate to be monitored and adjusted as and when when I go back.

Have been having a really painful and difficult flare up affecting most joints since November. Been on extra steroids and had a steroid injection, later didn't work at all. But the doctor is very keen to get me off the prednisolene completely. Was down to just 1mg a day prior to the flare up - but once tried to drop it further the flare up started and kncock me off course.

The flare up is settling a bit now I hope - still having some pain in mornings and end of day, and tiredness is there a lot, still stiff and achy in places - but I can walk much better again. No chance of wearing any form of heels for now though! Having odd bad day still though, such as Wednesday tiis week - couldn't even write sad

I haven't really been told of any extra side affects - so having taken my first dose at lunch time today, we shall see.

Snowbell Fri 08-Feb-13 21:40:35

hi,
I've been taking MXT for 4 years now for RA. I was on 25mg but am now on 15mg. I take mine on Friday night. I find it hits my system 16-18 hours later. I swear I literally feel it hit me. I get this overwhelming urge to lie down and sleep, and don't feel great. If I can sleep for an hour I'll feel much better when I wake up. I used to take it on a Saturday night but found I was really struggling with work on Mondays and Tuesdays. Now I have got over most of it by Monday. Does bugger up your Saturday nights a bit but depends what your social life is like! I can get a bit nauseous on Saturday night but I just eat something. In fact I feel like I am eating constantly for the following few days!

hope it works mrisleangel! It's the biologics I've got the big mind block on.but luckily I haven't been bad enough that they've even been mentioned.

isleangel Fri 08-Feb-13 11:30:40

Thanks Denial for the information. We only found out by reading the drugs leaflet, that he was supposed to take the first doses at night, so the food thing will be very useful, and its good to be able to plan round when he might feel sick. My DH is also getting very bad flare ups on the methotrexate, every time the steriod injection wears off, so his consultant says that sometimes the 2 together can dampen it down, although he says if this doesn't work they will put him on the biologic injections, so its just a waiting game, as I'm sure you know well! It's just so good to know that others are going through this too and that there might be light at the end of the tunnel. smile

Wonkylegs, I didn't know that the sulpasalazine was milder than mtx. We did read all the side effects and knew about the pee and tears (maybe that made it sound scarier!). He is going to start it tonight so we'll see how it goes.

wonkylegs Fri 08-Feb-13 10:27:47

Isleangel sulphasalazine is often considered milder than Mtx although it can turn your pee & tears yellow which can be a shock. I seem to recall that side effects are less common with sulphasalazine which is why they often try it before mtx & it's safer if you are trying for a baby/bf etc
I tried it as my 1st DMARD but ended up coming off it due to excessive bruising, it also wasn't as effective for me as the mtx.

isleangel the rheumy made a point of saying several times to always take the sulphasalazine with food.I started on one a day and worked up increasing one a week to four a day and then six but back down to four now. when starting I always felt wiped out the afternoon after the day I raised the dose but once on full dose felt absolutely fine.it has helped me most with morning and evening stiffness.also my crp and esr generally came down. I started the methotrexate because I was still getting to much random joint pain and flare ups.

isleangel Thu 07-Feb-13 15:09:30

Thanks so much for starting this thread denialandpanic. My DH has been on methrotrexate for 7 months now and he hasn't had any side effects, but then it has done nothing else for him either and he is still getting steroid injections, anti inflammatories and co codomal, and he is still unable to move very well. His consultant is putting him on sulfasazine as well as the methrotrexate and we were quite worried about the side effects of it, as it sounds worse than the metho. But this thread is reassuring. I hope you're recovering thanks

Thanks yardarm. I have a pint of water on the go beside megrin .strangely enough I had no joint pain all weekend.Maybe my body was too busy fighting the cold to fight me?

Yardarm Thu 07-Feb-13 12:48:03

Denial, I also take mine on a Tuesday. I feel ok on Wednesdays but I have to make sure I drink plenty of water on Thursday to avoid feeling rubbish on Friday, so I would say keep your fluids up and that might help. Best wishes thanks

took 10mg (working up to 15) Tuesday night.Was really in two minds about it. Felt awful all day yesterday, not so bad today. Hard too tell if it was methotrexate or ongoing virus but I never got out of bed yesterday.angry

redshoes Thu 07-Feb-13 01:31:35

How do you feel Denial? Did you take it?

wonkylegs Wed 06-Feb-13 23:12:55

I've got a cold too so you have my sympathies. I'm hoping it'll go soon as I don't want to miss my next dose of Humira.

spoke to gp. have decided to take dose as feel better today and no longer hurts to breath. bahangry hate this

Yardarm Mon 04-Feb-13 23:42:25

I haven't missed mine for feeling under the weather but I did once take a week off when I was on holiday. Could also check with Rheumatology nurses? Hope you are feeling better soon.

yes, hurts to breathe too so no avoiding gp in amangry angry

Aftereightsarenolongermine Mon 04-Feb-13 19:40:56

I never take MTX if I'm feeling under the weather. But speak to your GP first mine always errs on the side of caution.

Dosed with a cold and earache nowangry angry not sure what to do tomorrow.

Yardarm Sun 03-Feb-13 20:43:16

Denial, grin at roll half! Had visions of you playing marbles with them! Glad you're feeling confident about the next dose :-)

took half grrr I wish you could edit posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now