Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chemist tested me for diabetes - sent me to the Dr TODAY urgently...please come and talk to me...

(723 Posts)
MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 22-Jan-13 15:28:34

<Sorry, just got to the end and realised how long this is!!>

These are my questions

1: The reading the chemist got was 20 - can anyone tell me what this means (ie how 'serious' it is) and if they think it could be controlled and/or preferably gotten rid of through diet and exercise.

2: What will the Dr do today.

The rest is whittering background.

Also, I just wanted to say that I'll have to go in about an hour and wont be able to get back on line until tomorrow afternoon, but I haven't done a runner and will be grateful for any help/advice.

[I'm a regular - I've namechanged because I'm not sure yet if I want to tell anyone or not and I have a few RL friends on MN. It's not that I mind people knowing as such it's just that I don't want it to turn into A Big Deal]

I have been wondering for quite some time if I might have diabetes. A few things have made me wonder about it such as

- Excessive thirst (always having to have a bottle of water on me)

- Eyes a bit blurry at night (been blaming the overhead light and the small tv screen with tivo bright red background and only a problem at night and spending too much time looking at screens)

- Occasional 'shakes'

- I am overweight and struggle with feeling like my 'blood sugars' aren't right

...but what made me 'man up' to getting tested was that last week & yesterday I had a couple of episodes of light headedness/feeling faint when doing things such as changing a lightbulb, I had also been having them in the shower, but put that down to it being hot/steamy etc

I called the chemist about a year ago blush to see if they did the tests, but ended up not going <hence my name for this thread>

I also went to my Dr about 3-4 years ago with constant tiredness and no real reason for it.... he put it down to my weight (which although I'm overweight was not stopping me doing anything, being reasonably fit etc), he really wasn't interested in looking further. I haven't been back, but am and have been pretty much constantly tired since before then. I know I should have seen another Dr but it's hard when you are overweight and they don't seem interested in seeing past that and accept their might be something other excess weight causing the problem.

I wonder now how long I might have had it for and thus how much damage I might have done already to my body, especially my eyes, that's pretty scary.

I was already overweight, but I was pretty fit - then something quite lifechanging happened and I've put on more weight, stopped exercising and I am not unfit. I'm certainly not can't move off the couch unfit - I could still easily walk 4 miles, run for the bus (i'd be panting but I could do it and would recover pretty quickly) - but something else I've noticed (just yesterday I really 'thought' about it) is that I have been putting off doing stuff like walking places (now I take the car), running up the stairs (now only ever walk), kicking the ball about with the kids etc and I realised yesterday it's because when I do I feel awful - not just tired/worn out but light headed and a bit pukey - it's been a gradual thing.

I am totally committed to exercising - a minimum of 30 minutes every day without fail (have just been for an hours walk - about 3 miles) and to improving my diet (which I fully accept hasn't been great for a while, since this 'thing' happened and for a wee bit before then).

I'm not looking for any magic cure - I just want to know if I can get rid of the diabetes through diet and exercise.

Thank you if you made it this far - or even if you didn't wade through it all but can help.

BIWI Mon 11-Feb-13 19:22:26

Bloody hell, MyHead - that's not exactly helpful is it? angry

I don't know what to suggest really. Unless you could find a private doctor/clinic, someone like Dr Briffa, who might be prepared to work with you away from the aegis of the NHS/NICE guidelines?

I'm sorry that your results so far don't seem to be appreciated.

isithometime Mon 11-Feb-13 19:23:13

my head, what a coincidence but I was in the chemist the other day in the queue goggling at this new product that is clinically proven to lower blood pressure in the long run without meds.

I dont know whether it would lower yours enough to get them where you want them to be, but given the success youve had sorting out your own blood levels maybe its worth a try? (especially to see the look on the diabetic nurses face???wink)

Anyway, here is a cheapo one, there are dearer ones which maybe better. This is the website of a branded one with more clinical info and studies.

I think the gist of it is like yoga breathing, extreme calming that allows the blood vessels to relax, so increasing blood flow, and therefore reducing blood pressure - 10 minutes a day every day, I think the device checks that you are doing the breathing right.

Is great idea if it works as very private, no interventions and no meds.

MyHead - well done on the levels, fwiw I think you are doing really well. I would probably stop testing so often now. Just two hours after every meal, and fasting one in the morning. It will save your fingers in the long run, and your +1, +2, +3 levels are so similar I think you don't need to.

It is difficult when there is so much conflicting advice from professionals, especially when the majority of it goes against what is clearly working for you. I would suggest that you tell the diabetes nurse that you have spent a lot of time researching diets and that you would like to try the low carb approach. Tell her that you are monitoring your blood sugars regularly and that you are happy to ring her every fortnight with your blood results, and to have another review hab1c in 3 months time. You can tell her that if the results show any detrimental effects on your health in this time (eg increased cholesterol etc...) then you will of course change what you are doing, but that you would like to give it a go. They can't actually make you eat carbs every meal or anything if that isn't what you want to do. I have my review tomorrow and will nod and agree and then continue to eat low carb as that is what works for me...

I don't know a lot about the blood pressure/feeling faint issue but I have heard from other people that had high blood pressure that as their blood pressure came down to normal levels they did experience fainting and dizziness as it normalised. It sounds though like you have had this hot/cold/dizzy thing for a while and so it could be something completely unrelated, or just a combination of things that will ease as you get in control of your sugars.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Mon 11-Feb-13 22:22:11

Mirry Thanks for your support smile I'll think of you sitting on my shoulder when I'm in there tomorrow! It's really hard, I'm FAT and the diabetes nurse is literally the thinnest person I have ever seen (as I said earlier, she looks like she has anorexia - she looks ill.) it's hard to say 'I think this diet is right for me' <sigh> I'll do my best to convince her it's worth a shot, but due to her attitude last time I think I'm pushing the proverbial uphill. However, if I don't convince her, it wont make any difference to me. It would be nice to have their support, but I can live without it (I have you lot grin). I'm open to suggestions, I'm open to listening to their recommendations - but at the end of the day, I will make the decision.

BIWI - no, it's not at all helpful, it put me on a real downer and really made me want to eat something 'nice & comforting'. I sort of did, I couldn't be arsed cooking so I've had a 'picnic' dinner - but I was good - I had olives, a slice of Havarti cheese, a piece of basil tofu, carrots & houmous & some seeds. It's not great as the only 'veg' I had was carrot - but for one meal, I think I'll live and it could have been so much worse! I am hoping I have lost another kg by tomorrow so I can say 'I've lost 5kg, my bloods are good, I must be doing something right'.

In fact, as the only reason I was going to see her was to get my monitor checked and I did that at the chemist, I could just cancel this appointment couldn't I? I can't see how she's going to help me in any way and I'm sure another session with her will only hinder my progress. There's nothing she can say that she hasn't already said re metformin or whatever and they aren't going to do any other tests, so why bother?

I was thinking that this afternoon (that it would be great to find someone privately), but not really working at the moment, things are a bit tight. I could shove it on the plastic I suppose. There's no harm in looking to see who there is I guess.

It's ridiculous to feel this way when I'm only doing something good/natural and wanting to see how that goes first.

isithometime That's well worth a go I think. I've often heard that breathing properly and relaxing can help, I think a 'gadget' would help me do and it's good to be able to see it that you are doing it right. I'll see what's on eBay. The 'good' one looks great but WOW the price! Thanks a lot, I'll let you know how I get on with it!

MrsHP thank you smile I have been trying to decide which tests to cut out, but everyone seems to think a different one is more important! I think what I'll do is vary it between the 1/2/3 hour tests (along with first thing in the morning) depending on which is more convenient.

Yes, I've always had the hot/cold/faint thing - even as a child. As an adult I've fainted less as I learnt to recognise the feeling and act on it! I get it if I have an upset stomach too. But not as sicky as I did this morning and I never routinely felt crap in the mornings. Also I never had the woozy/dizzy thing. The other week I couldn't change a light bulb (it was stuck and difficult, but even so), then this nonsense at tumble tots - all I'm doing is leaning down to a toddler level. It's bonkers. I just don't know what that's all about - but as you say, hopefully it will sort itself out in time.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Mon 11-Feb-13 22:36:04

+1 6.9

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 12-Feb-13 01:17:26

I just posted all of this on another thread - like a complete dolt! Ooops.

Tue 12-Feb-13 00:10:25
My neighbour just knocked my door (she could see the sitting room light on and knows I'm a bit of a night owl) and when I got up to answer the door I felt really woozy, I feel as though I've been drinking or taken a sleeping tablet. It's quite a nice feeling, but as I haven't been drinking or taken a sleeping tablet I'm assuming this isn't good...

NHS direct?

Tue 12-Feb-13 00:11:03
Or just go to bed and get some sleep?

Tue 12-Feb-13 01:09:17
I called NHS Direct. Lovely people, both of them. But they haven't really helped, they've acertained that I'm not dead and that's about it

Out of hours Dr just rang - she thinks I might have Labyrinthitis.

For the love of christ.

Tue 12-Feb-13 01:12:16
I'm going to go to bed now and hope it sorts itself out

BIWI Tue 12-Feb-13 09:36:16

Oh goodness. How are you feeling this morning?

SCOTCHandWRY Tue 12-Feb-13 13:04:40

Bad luck! Hope you are feeling better soon, most attacks resolve within a few days x

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Tue 12-Feb-13 15:53:17

It soon stopped feeling pleasant and started feeling really awful (definitely like drinking too much!) I felt like I had drunk a huge amount, everything was swimming around and I felt sick - I had that 'oh just leave me alone' feeling and felt too wiped out to speak - it was a real effort to talk to the OOH Dr.

They got me to take my bgl and it was 6.6.

BIWI (This morning) I felt like I'd been out on a HUGE night out, the room was spinning and I felt sick - the worst of worst hangovers. However, after sitting up for an hour (and I guess the fluids settling) I was feeling a lot better and after 2 even better. Still not good, but better. I went into work as I would have let someone down badly if I hadn't, but I went in at 10 and home at 1. I feel 'ok' if I don't move my head too quickly or look up/down quickly.

SCOTCH thanks smile

It seems to have all the symptoms of labyrinthitis, I wonder if that is what has been causing the dizzy/faint thing all along? She said that I could see my Dr if I wanted and get some meds, but as they can't test for it/see it, she'd only be giving them to me because of what I said. From what I've read the meds aren't that effective and it often clears up itself anyway. I've just got in, so haven't had time to have a proper look yet.

I feel a bit rubbish again now, a bit sickly and light headed, but I haven't eaten anything except a veggie sausage at half nine this morning, so I'm just about to have some 'lunch'.

I cancelled my apt with the DN today, I don't think we have much to say to each other that wont keep until my 3 month check.

I have an appointment with the dietician later in the month, I'll go to that and see what they have to say - it can't hurt.

BS today

Fasting 6.5
3.5hrs after breakfast (one veggie sausage) 5.8

Weight down 1lb, nice to see the scales move smile

Not drunk enough water, am glugging now!

mirry2 Thu 14-Feb-13 08:12:39

Myhead - are you ok?

Hi myhead how are you doing? Is the funny feeling getig any better?

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Thu 14-Feb-13 13:47:58

Mirry & Mrs HP - thank you for asking smile I'm feeling a lot better from the Labrythinitis. Honest to god it was awful and I can't believe that people actually feel that way forever. I'd shoot myself... it is that horrible. I am wondering now if some of my feeling faint/dizzy, not being able to stretch up & reach down is an ear thing and not blood pressure/blood sugars at all. I am sure I am the last person my Dr wants to see again, but I'm wondering if I can get an ENT referral?

I had an odd day yesterday, I have never been a breakfast person and I just could not face anything - I just don't get hungry in the morning/day, which I know isn't good and I have been trying to have 3 meals a day. But yesterday I didn't. I also really felt like going out, having a latte and sitting in a cafe with the rest of the world - so I did. I didn't want to have to many carbs before going and I didn't want lunch etc so I ended up going to starbucks on an empty stomach. I happily avoided all of the food and just had a SMALL latte. I'd looked up the carbs on the website and it was 9, which is high for a drink but not high when I hadn't had any others and it was what I really wanted. So I had the latte & went shopping. I tested two hours later with my eyes half closed and my bgl was 6.3, I was so happy! Really, really chuffed.

I don't want to overdo it though, so I'm being very careful today. I'm out for dinner tomorrow night, I've already looked at the menu and rung the restaurant (he was laughing at me and said it wasn't an easy task was it! A little while in (getting desperate) he suggested a lamb dish, I said other than the fact lamb isn't vegetarian, it's perfect! You could see him doing the Homer Simpson D'oh grin

Bgl

Monday Dinner +1 6.5
+3 6.3

Tuesday 10am 6 (no particular reason, just random resting)

Before coffee 6.3
+ 2 hrs 6.3

Before dinner 6.1
+ 3 hrs 5.8

Today - fasting 6.3
- before breakfast 6.7

I made myself eat some yogurt for breakfast today.

Weight up a little - but only 200g and I didn't eat properly yesterday or drink enough water - trying to do better today.

sazpops Thu 14-Feb-13 13:56:16

Hi myhead , glad you're feeling better and getting to grips with your readings. It sounds as though you're doing really well, and hopefully you'll find that your symptoms were down to the labyrinthitis and nothing to do with the diabetes.

You sound as though you're a lot happier in yourself too, which is great smile

mirry2 Thu 14-Feb-13 13:59:38

My bgl are similar to yours and I definitely don't keep to a strict diet but I do watch what I eat. For example I know that a curry meal will send send my bg levels up the next day so I don't often have it.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Thu 14-Feb-13 14:09:01

Sazpops Thank you smile How are you two doing? Any new inventions/meals? I looked at the cauli pizza, but I'm not sure it would work without egg to bind it a bit?? I think it would just end up one sloppy, greasy mess?!

Mirry at what point do things 'show up' on your readings? What time after eating something is your 'high' point? I'm just trying to make sure I'm not missing mine (trying to explain why my fasting bgl with the Dr was so high) and if I'm missing any highs. Mind you, when I look at how many carbs I was eating it's a wonder I didn't just turn into a sugar cane...

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Thu 14-Feb-13 14:13:15

Breakfast +3 5.9

mirry2 Thu 14-Feb-13 14:41:01

My high point for all meals is an hour afterwards - well that's when i have tested, although I don't do it very often. However when i've had a 'forbidden' meal like curry my bglevels would usually be raised for part of the next day - usually when I wake up.

sazpops Thu 14-Feb-13 14:50:24

I made some excellent spicy beanburgers last night, but DH was getting a bit cocky about his weightloss and good readings, so said could he have a few sauteed potatoes as well - big mistake! His +2 reading was 10.3, so he's learnt his lesson.

The beanburgers were actually quite big too, I would imagine a smaller quantity with no spuds would have been fine. I used kidney beans (some of which I mashed smooth, some I just chopped for texture), mashed (microwaved) sweet potato, a bit of peanut butter (helps bind it all together), a fresh chilli, spring onions, grated carrot, cumin & coriander. Mixed it all together, chilled, made into patties and fried.

I'll make them again, but maybe use less sweet potato (it was bigger than I'd thought!), as it could have done with being a firmer mixture, and definitely not serve with extra carbs (yummy though!)

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Thu 14-Feb-13 22:22:55

Mirry thank you smile

Sazpops Oh poor DH sad What are his readings normally like after dinner?

Sweet potato is really carby too (20g of carbs per 100g), spring onion & carrot too.

They sound <drool> very tasty though!!

Lucky you being able to eat them smile

All this cooking & faffing for him, I hope he's looking after you in other ways! He's a lucky man.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Thu 14-Feb-13 22:34:42

Didn't take any after lunch readings today. I made the usual salad then went to a friends and didn't feel it important enough to bother as it's been much the same every day with the same lunch.

Dinner +2 7.2

(Dinner - steamed brocolli, courgette, carrot (should have left the carrot out really, but he wasn't looking lively enough for a salad or to be left for another night!) bok choy - then mushrooms sauted in butter, with philly, double cream & parmesan (well, a veggie alternative) It was really nice, didn't take long & didn't make too many dishes.

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Feb-13 00:13:13

5.9 just now.

I'm hungry, I wish MN wouldn't let them advertise chocolate at the top of the page grin I'm not sure if I'd be better to have a little something (cheese/yogurt/tofu) or go to bed hungry? Any ideas? It's 4 hours since dinner. It would have been better to have gone to bed an hour ago before I was hungry I suppose!

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Feb-13 00:52:30

Eye test

I forgot to mention the most important thing that happened today! I got the letter from the hospital confirming that there isn't any damage to my eyes grin

SCOTCHandWRY Fri 15-Feb-13 07:27:07

grin Great news about your eyes.

SCOTCHandWRY Fri 15-Feb-13 07:39:50

Re going to bed/waking up hungry in the night -

You need to look at your calorie intake, yes, I know you are not counting calories, and when low carbing you shouldn't need to, but waking hungry suggests to me you are not getting enough fat, or protein.

Remember! Health first (blood sugar), weight loss will happen but that should be the secondary goal! grin

A good chunk of cheddar on its own should satisfy, and should barely move your bs... But eat a bit more at your evening meal... More protein source, less veg (as your protein is likely to be more carby than animal sources).

MyHeadWasInTheSandNowNot Fri 15-Feb-13 09:15:37

SCOTCH LOL - I hadn't been to bed! Yesterday I had 1200 calories - Protein 32g, Fat 109g & Carbs 30g. I used to 'McDougall' (all natural foods, nothing processed, but low fat - keeping fat under 10 - 109g of fat seems a HIDIOUS amount of FAT to me!). I think the problem is too much dairy - the fat was all from dairy except for 16g of fat in an avocado and 12g of butter (which I know is dairy but it's 'different' apparently?). Trouble is, it's hard to get fat any how else when you are vegggie & not eating processed food?! I'm going to have to add in nuts & oils and mind the dairy I think. I feel more 'satisfied' since adding in more dairy - but the weight is holding.

Weight up 300g again - so going up a little bit each day sad and yes, I know, I should only weigh once a week blah blah blah and if Friday was my weighing in day I'd be down 1kg (2lb)

I didn't eat anything last night, I did some jobs and then went to bed, it didn't keep me awake so I can't have really been hungry.

My bgl when I went to bed (at 2am) was 5.8, this morning 6.2.

I've eaten yogurt this morning - though, just writing that, makes me wonder... I was doing better weight wise when I was having avocado and cheese for breakfast?? I wonder if that's a co-incidence or if I should try that again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now