Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone ever had a pre-op nerve test before spinal surgery ? Dd would like to know what it feels like

(12 Posts)

Dd1 has her test on 28th Jan, and although the letter says it won't hurt, it does say that there might be some twitching.

Dd is just wondering what it will feel like. I think she is a bit nervous.

CabbageLeaves Sat 19-Jan-13 22:36:07

I had this. Nerve conduction? Sorry, I can't really remember it blush but I'm posting to say if I can't remember it can't have been that traumatic.

Hmm might be that yeh, not sure tbh as they've not really explained it to us.

I'm glad you can' remember it though smile

CMOTDibbler Sun 20-Jan-13 15:45:42

I've had nerve conduction studies done twice (not spinal), and although it wasn't the pleasantist experience of my life, each bit is over very quickly, and very manageable

Thanks

Dd is a bit more relaxed about it now.

dottyaboutstripes Tue 22-Jan-13 14:47:04

My dd had this before her spinal fusion, she said she barely felt anything.

Ahh thank you dotty. When did your dd have her surgery if you don't mind me asking ??

You may have already told me on another thread, but i'm so bloody forgetful.

dottyaboutstripes Tue 22-Jan-13 17:03:36

I don't think we've "spoken" - she had surgery (due to scoliosis) in June 2011.

How was it ?? Dd and myself are both very nervous about the whole thing tbh, and we rarely see anyone at the hospital, so we get told very little.

Dd was last seen there in Jan 2012, and at that point has two curves of 65% and 45%. It is a progressive curve and so they will be worse by now. That is also when she went on the surgery list.
Dd also has a Chiari malformation but the surgeons are 99% sure that they can do the spinal surgery without that causing a problem.

She takes painkillers daily, as she gets a lot of pain in her ribs and her right hip.

How has your dd been since the surgery ?? Is she completely back to normal ??

Maximilimum Tue 22-Jan-13 23:16:13

I had this done before spinal surgery. I don't really remember it being painful, just took a while and was a bit weird.
Was more annoying after the surgery trying to get the glue they used out of my hair!

Lol that is dd's current concern maximilimum

Maximilimum Wed 23-Jan-13 01:49:24

I think we just picked it out, and there was a kind young nurse or care assistant who spent ages brushing my hair through for me. Not the most important thing but I felt better once my hair wasn't such a mess! And dry shampoo, a saviour when you can't have a shower.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now