Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

What can help bring adult fever down?

(9 Posts)
dikkertjedap Fri 18-Jan-13 17:00:27

Ibuprofen is at least as effective if not more effective in bringing down fever compared with paracetamol.

Cool baths used to be recommended but no longer as the guidelines have changed.

sausagewallet Fri 18-Jan-13 16:53:28

I've been taking 500mg amoxicillin 3 times a day since Monday, but I still feel like crap and feverish.

The ibuprofen/paracetamol help a little but the best thing has been cool baths.

I think I might have developed a chest infection now, so if I'm still feeling like this by Monday I'm going back to the GP.

Zavi Fri 18-Jan-13 16:45:37

Ibuprofen does help with fever. It has proven antipyretic properties.

Unlike vinegar or egg whites.

You can piggy-back Ibuprofen and paracetamol as someone else has suggested.

Aspirin is also a very effective antipyretic and should be taken with food.

If your sore throat has been caused by a bacterial infection then you should see improvement in symptoms, including fever, usually after about 3 doses of ABs.

Are you taking the correct dose of ABs? Easy to get correct doses of those mixed up.

LucyWils Wed 16-Jan-13 14:48:40

Ibuprofen does not help with fever but it does help with swelling. If the paracetamol is not helping try taking cool baths, fill a bath tub with lukewarm water and lay in it for 5 min or so. Also remember to be hydrated - dehydration intensifies a fever. If the fever won't break try and take a couple of spoonfuls of Apple Cider Vinegar (in water) as that has been known to help. If all else fails, grab a couple of egg whites, soak some handkerchiefs in them and wrap them around your feet. Sound bizarre but this old wives tale has some merit!

sausagewallet Tue 15-Jan-13 20:28:17

Ah thanks, I'll send DH to the shop for some ibuprofen. I was going back to work tomorrow but think another day of rest is in order grin

DystopianReality Tue 15-Jan-13 20:18:25

Meant so say' Hope you feel better'.

Fluffy101 Tue 15-Jan-13 20:17:39

You can alternate paracetamol and ibruprofen every two hours e.g paracetamol at 10, ibruprofen at 12 , paractemol at 2 etc, making sure you don't exceed max doses.

Ibruprofen has anti inflammatory properties so may help with swelling

DystopianReality Tue 15-Jan-13 20:15:54

Combination of 1g paracetamol and 400mg Ibupofen, taken every 6-8 hours, with food or milk

sausagewallet Tue 15-Jan-13 20:12:55

I went to the doctors yesterday feeling shit with a high temp since Sunday, and was diagnosed with tonsilitis.

I have been given penicillin and have plenty of paracetamol in, drinking plenty of fluids but I still can't get my temp down much. Been peaking at just over 40*.

Does anyone have any tips? Would ibuprofen work better? I'm melting awaaaaay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now