Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pre patella bursitis - will it sort itself?

(12 Posts)
IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 15-Jan-13 19:29:51

After a heavy fall on ice a month ago, I now have a peculiar looking, squishy knee which I am pretty sure is a pre patella bursitis.

It only hurts if I forget and kneel on it - then it hurts a lot!

Is it likely to settle by itself or do I need to be more proactive?

amazingmumof6 Tue 15-Jan-13 19:38:18

you could try to go to an osteopath, they can tell what kind of damage you have and what to do
(only go to one recommended to you personally, not from yellow pages - sorry, I heard of some greedy/ conmen stories...)

mine however is a hero, if I knew you lived near I'd give you his contact details...

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 15-Jan-13 19:39:29

Thanks, i've never been to an osteopath, know nothing about it tbh.

I live in South Wales.

ggirl Tue 15-Jan-13 20:16:19

I had this from a fall on a marble floor (saved the g&t in my hand though) , It went down on it's own after a while, it was enormous!!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 15-Jan-13 21:04:52

How long is a while ggirl?

It's still getting bigger after a month!

ggirl Tue 15-Jan-13 21:34:09

it had gone down after a month or so..sounds like yours is worse than mine

gussiegrips Wed 16-Jan-13 00:05:38

Mmm, get it looked at, I'm a physio, got a CV full of this sort of stuff.

I take it you have full range of movement and that your leg is functioning well otherwise?

Does your joint lock or give way from under you?

Do both your thighs look the same, ie is one skinny, particularly on the inside aspect of your knee?

Bursitis can be a tricky one - most settle within 6 weeks, but some don't. And, they can be buggers.

Go and see your GP and get a referral to your local department. Or, give them a ring, they might have a self referral system where you have a phone consultation and they'll give you advice or bring you in for an assessment.

Really, another month and it'll get a bit gunged up in there.

chipstick10 Wed 16-Jan-13 14:00:14

I fell in the street (the shame still haunts me) in 1999. My knee swelled at the front and felt squishy but it wasn't what you would call painful. It went down after a few days but it swells up behind the knee if I kneel or try to squat or if I run. I had to give up the gym a few years back because it just kept swelling. It's just a weakness I suppose and I've never thought about doing anything about it.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 16-Jan-13 18:18:58

I'm a physio too blush but with only very minimal musculoskeletal skeletal experience many, many years ago on my CV!

Quads are the same bilaterally, even medially. There's been no locking or giving way - luckily (we're off skiing this weekend!), just a particularly large bulge overlying my patella!

Think I might have to come out of cloud cuckoo land and wander down the corridor to out out-pts dept on our return!

holidaysarenice Thu 17-Jan-13 03:43:17

As another physio, I love how many of us try anything to stay away from the op dept!!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 17-Jan-13 08:29:51

I wonder why we do that?!

May pop in today if I get a minute, but really don't want to be told anything to upset next week in the snow! la la la la la la

<OP wonders off happily back in cloud cuckoo land for the time being!>

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 27-Jan-13 21:27:07

Well it survived a weeks skiing admirably, though it has grown in size some more.

I think it needs aspirating tbh. Will try to get to see my GP this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now