Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My shoulders are killing me!

(14 Posts)
CastingNasturtiums Tue 15-Jan-13 15:19:14

They feel really stiff, even though they have loads of movement in them. I feel constantly like I need a massage, but the relief is temporary and the pain/stiffness comes back straight away. Does anyone else get this? It's the muscles around my shoulder blades that are the problem I think.

Footle Tue 15-Jan-13 16:05:35

Find a Feldenkrais , Pilates or Alexander practitioner and learn to use your body more efficiently.

CastingNasturtiums Tue 15-Jan-13 16:12:54

Never heard of Feldenkrais or Alexander, but do a lot of Pilates already. Will check out the other two though, thanks!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Tue 15-Jan-13 16:16:07

I had this after having ds2, I realised that I hunched when bf'ing him. It only went after I returned to yoga.

jensgeschwandtner Thu 17-Jan-13 06:11:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sausagedog27 Thu 17-Jan-13 07:47:36

I've had shoulder problems- I saw a physio in the end and had to basically correct my posture and think about how I carry out everyday tasks- ie driving position, computer work etc.

Massages work by loosening the muscles but they soon tighten up again if I was sat wrong etc.

Could you get referred to a physio for advice?

How well does your bra fit? If you have even slightly heavy breasts and the band of your bra is too loose, the weight of your breasts will be being carried by your shoulders.

CastingNasturtiums Thu 17-Jan-13 10:28:25

Hi all, thanks for the ideas. I have been trying to sit up and not hunch my shoulders and they are feeling much better! It really takes constant vigilance though!

madoldbird Thu 17-Jan-13 10:33:07

I have a sports massage once a month to stop this, it's fairly brutal, but it works! A regular (what i term a "namby pamby") massage won't have the same effect.

plus3 Thu 17-Jan-13 10:37:11

I thought my shoulder hurt due to my hunched up position - turned out I had referred pain from my grumbling appendix! Appendix out = no more shoulder pain. ( had this for about 6 mths before my appendix actually presented itself properly shock)

BanghamTheDirtyScone Thu 17-Jan-13 10:40:15

Lung issues can also cause referred pain to shoulder blades.

ppeatfruit Thu 17-Jan-13 12:22:29

A lovely massage oil for aches and pains is Olbas oil or eucalyptus ess. oil mixed with almond or jojoba oil.

You could also look at having a less acid diet .e.g. cut down on or cut out vinegary foods, alcohol, smoking, too much tea and coffee or orange juice and pork if you eat it!

CastingNasturtiums Thu 17-Jan-13 14:11:45

ppeat I LOVE vinegary foods, didn't know they affected muscles! I will reguarly have forkfuls of pickled red cabbage as a snack!

Pretty sure I don't have appendix or lung issues but will keep an eye... I think the fact that it's affecting both shoulders equally probably means it's shoulder related rather than referred pain.

Love the idea of monthly sports massages madoldbird.

ppeatfruit Thu 17-Jan-13 16:40:46

The acid will definitely give aches and pains to some people; me and DH for example , try lemon juice in yr salad it leaves an alkili ash in yr body the opposite of vinegar smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now