Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

***Tamoxifen 32***

(990 Posts)

step this way dear ones...the trolley will be here in a sec...

parents both elderly- 80 s I think and yes,husband had been having chemo on and off -trying all kinds of treatment. Awful for them.

Copthallresident Fri 08-Feb-13 19:02:47

MAS That is so sad especially for your friend and her daughters having to cope with all that loss sad

lone my first thought was that you have a valid worry but only in the context of the possibility you will be hit by a bus tomorrow but Amberlight beat me to it. It may be a good thing though that your mind gets focused in that way. After losing two friends from our friendship group and two more of us getting this bugger we all sat down and made sure our wishes for our children were set down and safeguarded legally. Should I get hit by a bus tomorrow DH will have two of my more Valkyrie like friends breathing down his neck supporting him. He is not a fuckwit but he does tend to leave the discipline and emotional side of things to me. Sadly the arrangements were invoked as well, when the stress of losing her husband threw my friend into an epic Brittney Spears- a -like cycle of bipolar mania and depression and we ended up having to get her sectioned. You never know what lies around the corner. And actually one of my closest friends did lose her Mum when she was 10 and had a father who was not a fuckwit but damaged by his wartime experiences so that she had to become the parent, and it did make her very strong. One of the consolations when we were fighting to safeguard my mad friend's sons (she got up to some very colourful shenanigans, moved the sky TV Repairman in and lets just say the chandeliers were creaking) was that my Mum, a retired teacher, pointed us to research that shows that children who experience that sort of trauma go on to achieve great things, really great things, like becoming Prime Ministers and things.

KK Yes chemo does make you into an embarassment grin

Ash I think SW jumped the shark quite a long time ago but now I have suspended disbelief I still enjoy seeing a strong female character. Also they film it around here, often in Richmond Park. Goon dog once nearly brought their lights down!

smee Do hope you don't think I was drunk when writing down story about the uptight lesbian at lunchtime Not yet hitting the bottle that early!! <looks at clock> wine

Cheers everyone!

topsyturner Fri 08-Feb-13 21:02:11

Mas that is so sad for your friend .
Shite things happen to good people sometimes !

topsyturner Fri 08-Feb-13 21:03:49

On a semi lighter note ...
Closer inspection of my eBay account reveals I have also placed a bid on a faux fur leopard print coat .
Sauvignon is the devils work !!!

AshokanFarewell Fri 08-Feb-13 21:21:37

MAS so sorry for your friend's losses and her poor children.

Copt it's good you have those arrangements in place and were able to use them to help your friend and her son.

I don't have children to worry about but I worry I won't be around to look after my parents when they're elderly so the full burden will fall on my younger sister, and that I won't be here to support my sister when my parents are gone. She is recovering from severe depression at the moment and I'll always be protective of her. I keep reminding myself anyone could be hit by a bus though so it's not really worth dwelling on! And who knows, maybe the cancer won't ever come back smile

Watching tonight's Silent Witness now. I like Clarissa, I'm starting to find Nicki quite annoying though.

KurriKurri Fri 08-Feb-13 22:02:58

MAS - so sorry about your friend sad so many losses to cope with, it is so sad.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 08-Feb-13 22:20:11

Thank you all yes I have my wishes in a brand new shiny will that post dates separation excluding ExH and giving good guardians and trustees for DD. It's just the whole ExH and OW scenario thing that worries me.
Amber the whole continuing to run the business whilst being ill is actually the least scary bit, it's kind of my hideout place and when the going gets tough I tend to get working. My lowest point in the last year was when I had a long weekend booked for my 40th and actually I went to pieces because I wasn't working. When I am off now I have structure to prevent that from happening again.
Smee my DD doesn't really know apart from that I am sore today as the doctor did some tests. If it is bad news then I will talk to her about it, but only if. I am quite sneaky I fit biopsies into my lunch hours and things so very few people know.
I watched the first SW today I have to admit to getting drawn in by the science rather than the people.
Ashokan I have a lovely friend who also has bowel cancer, she is one of the most amazing positive people I know. She writes a blog called bottomsup cancer. This is a girl who can turn any situation around last week she had a total bowel resection only 12 weeks after she open heart surgery to remove the vegetation that had grown in her heart from the c.diff that she caught whilst have a bleeding bowel vessel embolised. This week she is posting on facebook to us all about what a hottie Mr Radical Surgeon is.

AshokanFarewell Fri 08-Feb-13 22:50:24

Wow Lonecat sounds like your friend has had awful luck, medically speaking! sad I hope she is on the mend. Not 100% sure what total bowel resection entails, but it sounds big. I had my colon and rectum removed so might be the same thing. I would google bowel resection to find out but I have a rule against googling anything at all related to the illness!

I might have a look at her blog later if you don't mind?

Jealous of the hot surgeon, so far the only attractive medical person I've met is the male healthcare assistant who came to empty my catheter bag thingy in hospital blush

I think you're very brave and kind to protect your daughter until you know what is going on, and hopefully you won't have anything to tell her when the results come back smile

jchocchip Sat 09-Feb-13 07:19:48

Morning all! Sorry to hear about your friend, mas
Phew that is over! Survived my last day at work and had lovely card and flowers and voucher presented - later decamped to pub for several beers and a bite to eat then went and banged on the door of nightclub waited patiently in bar opposite club until it opened at 10, then danced to 80s music on the lightyup floor under the smoke machine until after midnight ... Had to bring another friend home to stay as she decided to make a night of it after she told us she is splitting from dh of 10 years. So we watched The Plannners on iplayer and drank hot choc and sloe gin until rather late. However noone told cat to let me sleep so I was up at 6.30...
Time to put a brew on smile

NedSchneebly Sat 09-Feb-13 18:06:09

Evening all smile

Survived the working week (OK, 3 days counts as my working week wink ) only to be woken at 6.15am this morning with DS vomiting on me. Nice. Luckily no vomit since about 10.30am, therefore this afternoon has had some dry frosties, a bottle of Lucozade sport and a twirl. . . hmm

Background on me: diagnosed with breast cancer in January 2012 at the age of 36: lumpectomy, 18 weeks of chemo and a month of radiotherapy later, I was given the all clear in November. I am on tamoxifen.
Welcome to the newbies lonecat and ashokan but sorry that you have to be here. I think someone once said its the club that no-one wants to join, being here. Hope you are both OK today x x

ashokan Your name is in fabulous taste as it is one of my favourite pieces of music of all times. here is video of it for everyone to enjoy.

MAS sorry about your friend sad this disease really is a crock of shite. . .

jchoc sending you big hugs. Well done for making it through your last day. Got everything crossed for a successful start to your new role on Monday smile

topsy we need links to the items purchased on your behalf by the ebay hacker! Hope you the bastard hacker was successful in the bidding wink

I have got gig's Howards Way DVDS 1 and 2 if anyone wants to borrow them? PM me your address and I'll post them on!

smee one more week til half term here - but possibly on a course on Friday so might only be a day and a halfs teaching! When's T on half term?

Sending everyone lots of love. Hope everyone is OK x x x x

topsyturner Sat 09-Feb-13 19:18:04

Can someone post in idiots terms how to do linkies on my iPhone to the mumsnet app ?
I won the coat .
Just re read the description .
It's Cheetah print ...
grin

topsyturner Sat 09-Feb-13 19:20:54

Oh crap
Think I have just posted it to my main face book wall (the coat) , instead of our private group .
Now the world will know my shame gringringrin

jchocchip Sat 09-Feb-13 19:43:06

Lol topsy grin
Hi ned well done on another week done. sad about the sick hope ds is feeling better now he is eating frosties

Think last nights sloe gin may be redcurrant gin, having another wine to decide... smile

topsyturner Sat 09-Feb-13 19:46:23

Ooh gin !
How I love thee ...
I'm having a retro night .
Bacardi and coke !

crikey- have only just been able to get hold of MN today
Saw your coat on fb topsy !!
Scan today was fine - dh and T came with me- we had coffee and croissant at the Costa afterwards.

topsyturner Sat 09-Feb-13 20:43:07

When do you get the results Mas ?

Next Friday when I see onc,I guess...

topsyturner Sat 09-Feb-13 21:31:54

Fingers will be crossed and candles lit Mas
Is this the half way through chemo scan ?

I think it's just a time for a scan scan -first since diagnosis anyway-there seems at the mo. to be no end for the chemo (if things have shrunk/disappeared a la topsy they probably carry on onc said)
Kind of maintenance - some people are on it for ages...all very confusing.

topsyturner Sat 09-Feb-13 23:10:08

Yep , they said to me that I would be on the drug regime for as long as it kept working .
I was coming to terms with it being just like a diabetic having to have insulin or someone with thyroid problems having to take thyroxine for life .

Copthallresident Sat 09-Feb-13 23:26:31

Tsing Tao here, gallons of the stuff, and evil mouth numbing Sichuan food, and something non specific passed over by neighbouring table that burned on the way down, lighter fluid?? they did seem to find it hysterically funny when we joined in the toasts? blush I think it may be interesting tomorrow...........

Kung Hei Fat Choi!! Happy Year of the snake,

though I am a cock grin

Ned You are a dragon, which is a good thing, they rule the world, the last year of the dragon there was a population explosion, the hospitals couldn't cope wink

Cocks on the other hand, well the world doesn't need any more cocks...

MAS the eve of Chinese New Year is when you clear out all the old stuff, generally clear out the crap and pay off your debts so you can start afresh. hopefully on Friday you will find out that you have cleared out the crap..........

Topsy cheetah?? grin I long ago learned to do nothing on t'internet when under the influence, or in writing, after a few Bridget Jones incidents. Dec 16 here www.spring.net/karenr/mdbro/bjdcols2.html Except that I am doing..............

topsyturner Sun 10-Feb-13 00:46:36

Shit Cop
I am Bridget Jones !!!
Why did I not realise this before ?
Bet she has a wardrobe FULL of cheetah print ... grin

topsyturner Sun 10-Feb-13 00:47:53

PS - pass the mouth numbing food over please .
I made teriyaki salmon and veggy rice stir fry tonight .
Was very yummy , but am now starving again !

jchocchip Sun 10-Feb-13 07:02:57

Morning all! Copt How are you feeling after your new year celebrations?!
Brigit Tipsy Topsy We need a pic of you modeling the coat when it arrives grin
Mas all the best for good news from the scan results - guess they want to know how the treatment is working.
I bought a bag of Thorntons mis-shapes yesterday but didn't eat many (fell asleep in front of repeat of Doc Martin) will put them on the trolley, need some help eating them before lent.
This afternoon I have resolved to get my work clothes ready for tomorrow - not easy since I lost weight and nothing fits. I can't go in jeans sad
Want to get in early so as to make a good impression and look keen to have time to find my new office.

AshokanFarewell Sun 10-Feb-13 07:52:49

MAS good luck with the scan results.

Copt I hope you're not feeling too rough this morning!

Ned it's a beautiful tune isn't it! Glad to have found a fellow fan smile love your name too, great film. I hope your son feels better today. I have a hankering for Frosties now you've mentioned them!

topsy the coat sounds fab.

jane I love mis-shapes! Our local Thorntons stopped selling them years ago sad I hope you find an outfit you are comfortable in for tomorrow. Is your new job similar to the previous one or something completely different?

I saw my boyfriend yesterday and he is just struggling a bit with the situation but was outraged that I thought he would break up with me, I'd completely got the wrong end of the stick blush we are going to try and go out for a meal on Valentines Day.

I had a temperature (37.9) and suspected UTI last night so spent a fun few hours at the OOH clinic. No UTI though and my temperature has gone down this morning so thankfully I won't have to spend my birthday in A&E having a blood test grin

I'm waiting for my family to wake up so I can have my cards and presents! Then my boyfriend and his family coming over for lunch and birthday cake grin

Have a lovely day everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now