Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Still having painful period at fecking 43!

(28 Posts)
jen127 Mon 14-Jan-13 18:40:30

What the bloody hell can I do? 43 and my periods are getting worse and worse from a discomfort point of view! I am in flipping agony Nd worst of all I work with all men so no discussion never mind sympathy there!
What are my options ? I have one Ds and don't plan to have anymore is there absolution out there ?
A woman's life from a body perspective and the changes is shit right! The menopause will be bloody next. confused

digerd Tue 15-Jan-13 17:19:14

For myself, all my terrible period pain and flooding was cured when I went on the contraception pill at 26. At 39 I came off it to TTC and everything got worse. All through my 40s not only did I fail TC, but the periods became more painful.
My sister remained on the Pill until she was 55, came off it and was through the menopause and didn't have any symptoms and sailed through those years.

Endometriosis is a common cause of severe period pain.

Would ask GP to refer you to a gynae, you need to find out what is actually causing this. These problems too are often outside a GPs general remit of understanding.

jen127 Tue 15-Jan-13 18:29:09

I have an appointment with a gynae for next Wednesday. I also got zinc and selenium vitamins on the way home from work.
I am now on the couch with a cup of tea and trying to stay awake.
Thanks to those who pointed me me to the peri-menopausal section as I had not considered my other symptoms to be part of this as well. I have insomnia, so hot at nigh need the windows open even now. I guess I am heading for the menopause.
Thank you so much !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now