Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cystitis

(22 Posts)
financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 02:40:46

I don't know if this is new job nerves or not but I feel a bought of cystitis coming on which is no good because I always need a bought of antibiotics to get rid.

I thought it was starting last night before bed, then had a 'normal' wee but just woke up and had a bit of a 'stingy' one. I don't have any cranberry juice in the house so can't even drink a gallon of the stuff before I start my new job today sad

runawaysimba Mon 14-Jan-13 03:20:39

Oh god, you poor thing. Do you have any baking soda? A teaspoon stirred into a glass of water can help, it's basically the same thing as Ural, and I find I can sometimes manage to knock mine on the head with that. Hope you get some relief!

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 03:37:44

Oh no, I don't have any. I have been up drinking very diluted squash and although the 'tingle' is there it has not taken hold yet. I am hoping that by continuing to drink it might just stave it away.

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 04:10:51

What should I do? It is getting worse. The office I have to go to is 50 minutes away. I am drinking like there is no tomorrow but the stinging is getting worse. I don't get it often anymore but when I do it normally takes a massive bomb of antibiotics. I can't call in sick on my first day, but I am going to have to do something about it and the GP shuts before I get home.

runawaysimba Mon 14-Jan-13 04:28:13

Do you have an after hours pharmacy nearby (I'm not in the UK, so don't know what's available)? They might be able to advise. I wish I had other handy tips but I'm very similar to you, normally need antibiotics. Would a bath at least help you feel comfortable now?

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 04:43:08

No. None by us - rural. Tesco's open at 0600 according to the website so I will go there and see if they have anything. It is slowly getting worse, so I am going to have to do something ASAP.

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 04:44:31

I am drinking lots of water at the moment, but as you can imagine it is not achieving much.

harassedandherbug Mon 14-Jan-13 06:49:49

Don't drink cranberry, the sugar will make it worse. Cystopurin is very good when you get Tesco.

You might need ab's though. I actually came on here for advice as I'm in such a mess with an awful bout of cystitis and kidney infection. Day 6 of ab's and I'm worse than ever, dh has taken the day off to sort kids and then me......

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 06:51:13

Got cranberry juice now but still feeling awful. Am beginning to worry now because I think I am going to have to go to the GP and that is not going to look good asking for 2 hours off on my first day is it.

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 06:56:50

Crap I have just drunk 2 glasses. I really really do not know what to do for the best. I can't call in sick on my first day.

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 06:57:50

Tesco didn't have any cystitis stuff in (very small).

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 06:59:06

My DH is away too.

Can you tell I am panicking now!

AViewfromtheFridge Mon 14-Jan-13 07:21:15

You're going to have to start a bit later and go to the doctors. No, it's not ideal, but they won't sack you and the alternative is squirming around and rushing off to the toilet every 5 minutes.

I get cystitis like that and antibiotics are the only thing that ever shifts it. I would actually be honest when you ring work, particularly if your boss is a woman.

Will you be able to get a doctors appointment this morning?

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 18:03:11

Panic over noth

financialwizard Mon 14-Jan-13 18:05:34

Try again!

Panic over nothing in the end. All that water drinking must have worked because I started feeling much better at around 11am. Really lucky this time I think.

runawaysimba Mon 14-Jan-13 19:27:33

Good to hear! What a relief.

financialwizard Tue 15-Jan-13 00:17:06

Typically it has started again, so not as lucky as I thought sad

Just called out of hours because I know it will get a thousand times worse if I don't do something now.

ClaimedByMe Tue 15-Jan-13 07:30:14

Oh no! Did you get seen at OOH? I've been awake all night with throbbing kidneys and vomitting, I feel your pain.

financialwizard Tue 15-Jan-13 16:51:52

No, I couldn't get there. Being new to the area I didn't realise the nearest is 40 miles away and with a 2 year old at midnight I thought it better to see the GP, so am sitting in the waiting room now. They better give me antibiotics or I might cry!

financialwizard Tue 15-Jan-13 18:04:23

Trimethoprim 200mg twice daily for seven days. I hope it kicks in soon, and I get a good nights sleep tonight!

ClaimedByMe Tue 15-Jan-13 18:44:12

Thats what I got too and they have sent my sample away to the lab incase I need something different but these should help until the lab results come back!

My kidneys are throbbing and I feel awful, I got my meds at half 5 and took one when dp brought them in and taking another at bedtime.

Hope your feeling better soon.

financialwizard Tue 15-Jan-13 21:18:33

Claimed that is exactly what I have done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now