Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night Terrors

(4 Posts)
niceupthedance Sun 13-Jan-13 07:21:48

Not much advice but make sure you are not too hot in bed, also don't get dehydrated - this used to make mine worse.

longingforsomesleep Fri 11-Jan-13 23:53:37

No advice I'm afraid but lots of sympathy. One of my sons suffered from occasional night terrors when he was younger, but grew out of them (well he's 18 now and hasn't had one since he was about 11). I can imagine how worried you would be about what you might do whilst having one. The name is very apt as my son used to be literally terrified - cowering, wide-eyed, mumbling and shouting (nothing we could understand). He would move from room to room and would look wide awake but could remember nothing afterwards.

My first thought is that you could mention to your neighbours that you suffer from night terrors so not to be alarmed if they hear you shouting in your sleep. Secondly, I would see the doctor if I were you. I do think they're linked to anxiety and it's probably a vicious circle - you may worry subconsciously that you're going to have one and the worry itself brings one on. A doctor may be able to prescribe something or refer you to someone who can help. If you don't want to take even some mild drugs fair enough, but you lose nothing by asking your doctor for advice.

Mamf74 Fri 11-Jan-13 22:53:39

Bumping..... anyone?

Mamf74 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:19:22

I have been getting night terrors for a number of years, on & off, usually linked to anxiety and / or being really tired.

I don't get them often enough to rely on medication but I am having a batch of them now (possibly linked to DD starting nursery and also being knackered after Christmas) and wondered if anyone could offer any tips or help on dealing with them?

I find them really embarrassing, and also genuinely worry that the neighbours will start to think that my lovely DH is knocking me about as they have all ended with me screaming "No, no, no" at the top of my voice blush. Usually have quite good sleep prep, no telly in the bedroom, only read frothy stuff before bed etc so if there's anything else I can try I will pounce on it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now