Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help! Best/fastest ways to get rid of cracks in corner of mouth?

(17 Posts)
gobbin Fri 11-Jan-13 22:24:14

Def B vit deficiency in my case. I have taken a general B supp for years and not had cracked corners since and I'm also anaemic (had iron infusions). It was the B wot cleared it.

hiddenhome Tue 08-Jan-13 23:31:55

I had this for years and eventually put some Canestan hydrocortisone on them and they've never returned.

CatsRule Tue 08-Jan-13 23:21:34

Sounds disgusting but nipple cream is great for this!

The corners of my mouth get very dry and cracked whenever I feel run down or not drinking enough water...I never thought about iron/vitamin deficiency.

eggsfloursugarbutter Tue 08-Jan-13 21:54:08

I'm pretty sure zinc tablets clear them up pronto. I used to get them and it really helped. Think it was a zinc and vit c combo.

NanTheWiser Tue 08-Jan-13 21:52:07

Vit B12 and canesten cream does the job...

Hamnvik Tue 08-Jan-13 21:45:05

B vitamins and anti fungal cream seem to do the trick for me. I get it quite a lot if I've been eating lots of sugary stuff!

meditrina Tue 08-Jan-13 21:37:24

I'm due to give blood and was thinking of going now term's started. I'll see if I pass their hb check, and head for GP if there's a problem.

Many thanks for the advice about keeping it moist - 8-hour cream is essentially upmarket Vaseline, so fingers crossed that will help. It's only the corners - rest of lips aren't chapped at all.

Angular chelitis (or something like that) I get it when I eat pineapple. Sudocreme and no shouting or laughing or yawning or sneezing for a few days

orangeandlemons Tue 08-Jan-13 21:32:37

I think it's vitamin b6. Ds had it yanks ago, and I ended up taking him to the docs, who prescribed the vitamin. Obviously I was a crap parent and feeding him wrongly, but at that stage he refused to eat anything but chips and pizza!

Still he,s thrived on it. Now 6 ft 4 and at uni.......

pod3030 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:31:54

i had this, it was iron deficiency x

Dancingqueen17 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:30:52

Yes prob worth getting bloods checked, I'd suffered for year and a month of iron sorted mine for good!

timetosmile Tue 08-Jan-13 21:27:15

I though it was iron deficiency, rather than a vitamin? but am prepared to be corrected grin

maybe get your GP to check your blood count?

Dancingqueen17 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:26:17

Posting on 2 health qu's in one night! I've had real problems with this. Think I've finally cracked it by treating long term anaemia with an iron supplement, cracked mouth is a common result of anaemia. On another occasion though found it to be lingering infection and cleared with daktarin gel (buy OTC). Hope one of the two work for u because it really is a pia.

meditrina Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:13

I don't have any sudocreme in the house (youngest out of nappies long ago!). But do have zinc oxide/camomile. Perhaps worth an overnight slather?

I had them a couple of times before & found the best thing was not to let them dry out - if they got dry, they cracked even more. So I went to bed with lots of Vaseline on and after about 3 days they were better. Had to reapply during the day too.

donnie Tue 08-Jan-13 21:21:58

looks like hell but sudocrem does the job for me and dd2 who suffers from dry lips a lot. slather it on before bed time!

meditrina Tue 08-Jan-13 21:20:23

I've got these for the first time. I seem to remember hearing it's vitamin related, so I've started on a standard multi-vitamin tablet. Does anyone know if that is the cause, or have I got it hopelessly wrong?

I'm putting Eight Hour Cream on the patches. Is there anything better?

Or anything else whatever I could try? They're surprisingly sore - how long might they take to heal?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now