Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast lump..

(61 Posts)
Jellykat Mon 07-Jan-13 14:43:53

I know i may be getting worked up over nothing here, but reassurance would be gratefully appreciated.

I've been having odd problems with swollen lymph glands (negative test for glandular fever) and right boob for @ 8 months, went back and forth to GP, and finally had an appt with a breast consultant last Thursday.

Have had right nipple being sore and itchy, areola periodically looking inflammed, and shooting pains up into armpit.
I convinced myself it's hormonal as am peri meno, but during scan the consultant found a lump previously undetected, immediately above my nipple. He thinks its nothing horrendous and said i should have a mammogram to be sure.

This morning i've received a mammogram appointment for Wednesday, so now i'm flipping out because it kind of looks a bit urgent..

Please tell me i'm being daft as i've no RL support here sad

I have had male surgeon and his registrars examining me and a male in the radiotherapy dept, in fact 2 come to think of it...sort of got used to it,though am terribly shy and embarrassed about anyone seeing me.

Jellykat Thu 10-Jan-13 20:17:09

shock at 'fibrous lumps' Digard, my god i bet his girlfriend bloody loves that! NOT.

badtasteflump Thank you for the positive vibes smile
I did snigger at 'Asbestos tits', must be handy at times.. grin

BackForGood I meant to say yesterday no worries re. the deo question, i was wondering why too smile

SoleSource Thu 10-Jan-13 17:57:30

Yesterday, yup.

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 15:12:00

Jelly said she had her Mammo Wednesday - yesterday?

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 15:04:08

The man was not at the Mammo, but at the breast clinic in hospital out-patients. He told me they were just fibrous lumps < so not only saggy, but consisted of just lumps> Humiliation - and he was so young, which to me made it worse than if he'd been a much older man. Silly me I suppose.

SoleSource Thu 10-Jan-13 14:31:26

I just feel awful because my boobs are a mess.

I think you can

SoleSource Thu 10-Jan-13 14:22:10

Jelly is at work today smile

Is it possible to request no males be present during tbe mammogram?

After writing that I feel that is silly..

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 14:12:53

OP
How did it go today?

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 14:11:45

I didn't care about what the female radiographers though of my old breasts. But when I was man-handled by a YOUNG MALE dr at the hospital, I was sooo embarassed.

Jelly just seen this thread and wanted to send you positive vibes for a good clear result smile

I went through similar last year and was a complete nervous wreck waiting for the results - but it was fine and results were completely benign (as the consultant had said they would probably be, but, like you, I kept thinking 'what if he's wrong...'.

Was lucky as my mammo didn't hurt at all - I was dreading it as my mum always says they're hideously painful. She says I must have 'asbestos tits' grin

Elibean Thu 10-Jan-13 11:03:43

I've had some that hurt a bit, others that didn't hurt at all, a few that hurt a fair bit but only for a second or two....seems to vary!

Well done Jelly smile

Now good vibes for clear results asap to put your mind at rest!

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 09:34:33

My SIL has enormous firm bazookas, despite BF 2 10lb babies decades ago and she is 71. Her mammos have never hurt, she said. < green with envy face>

Owwww! well done jelly . The bosom manhandling is always a trial and not fun. Fingers crossed for good result.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 20:05:26

It's cruel, completly unecessary old fashioned method.

I feel.pain...

Jellykat Wed 09-Jan-13 20:05:24

Oh bloody hell digerd, it might as well've been a hammer OUCH!

Mine are like 2 wet teabags but it still hurt, maybe because it squished right on the lump.
But it is odd having another women pressing and pulling at your boobs to put them in a shape you've been trying to deny they would go in to. hmm

My mum refuses to have it done every 3 years, she ignores the request letters.. confused Despite the pain, i couldn't risk that, i'll qualify to be there for a routine one in 3 years, all being well.

digerd Wed 09-Jan-13 20:02:56

Sole
You got the right word there - clamping it was. One advantage of having saggier breasts.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:51:32

Oooh I feel tingly

Uncontrolled clamping

Faint

digerd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:48:29

Sole
The worst I remember was when I was perter and firmer, but smaller and the front bit was pressing and hurting my ribs as she had so much difficulty getting anything on the plate. Then it got stuck half way down and she pushed it and it went suddenly, quickly and uncontrolled and gave me a right wack squeeze. I cried ouch! Only happened once as bad as that.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:28:48

Men should have testicular cancer check...in the same machine.

Fooking sexist!!!!

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:27:48

Still hurts lime fuck? Right digerd?

digerd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:23:26

It's become easier now that my small boobs have become droopier and less firm< peeved face> as they are able to pull and push like kneeding dough, into a crepe suzette shape - flat as a pancake !

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:22:11

How long were you clamped for each.time? To tbe exact second if posssmile feel faint...

Jelly xxxxx
ooh

Jellykat Wed 09-Jan-13 19:16:05

Well (and excuse me if you're a non sweary) Fuck that for a game of soldiers!!!

I just said to Sole - that machine has got to of been designed by a man, and i'd like to see his todger in a vice!!
I was clamped to buggery, holding my breath against the pain, and she casually strolls over to press the button.. meanwhile i'm thinking 'run woman, don't bloody stroll'..bah

My squeeze will be gentle as fairy wings Elibean!!

Oh, the no deo is because Aluminium deposits in deo/anti p can mimmick (sp?) cancer cells on the X-ray apparently, so maybe different types of machine, nurse said it was bog standard proceedure for my health board.

Sole the nurse said it's the same amount of pain regardless of boobage.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:14:46

Arrrrrrrrrgh

Arrrrrrgh

Oh I would faint

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now