Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast lump..

(61 Posts)
Jellykat Mon 07-Jan-13 14:43:53

I know i may be getting worked up over nothing here, but reassurance would be gratefully appreciated.

I've been having odd problems with swollen lymph glands (negative test for glandular fever) and right boob for @ 8 months, went back and forth to GP, and finally had an appt with a breast consultant last Thursday.

Have had right nipple being sore and itchy, areola periodically looking inflammed, and shooting pains up into armpit.
I convinced myself it's hormonal as am peri meno, but during scan the consultant found a lump previously undetected, immediately above my nipple. He thinks its nothing horrendous and said i should have a mammogram to be sure.

This morning i've received a mammogram appointment for Wednesday, so now i'm flipping out because it kind of looks a bit urgent..

Please tell me i'm being daft as i've no RL support here sad

SoleSource Tue 08-Jan-13 13:50:31

Jelly hope you are doing ok today xxx

Elibean Tue 08-Jan-13 14:18:42

Vibe reminder set and ready to roll tomorrow, JellyKat. Although you may have to take the 'old biddy' bit back - I live in strict denial grin

I've never been told not to wear deodorant. Perhaps they just think, in my case, better a blurry picture than sweaty pits?! blush

Jellykat Tue 08-Jan-13 19:58:48

BackForGood and Elibean, i think the 'no deo' must be bog standard, my appointment is on an A4 sheet folded into 3 like a booklet.. There's loads of explaining and instructions, and it says..
"Please do not use talcum powder or deodorants/antiperspirants under your arms or around your breasts on the day of your appointment" hmm
Honestly, i can see it with my own eyes i promise smile I'll ask about why tomorrow if the nurse isn't a grump, and report back..

Elibean I have to embrace the old biddy in me, its my excuse for the odd afternoon 'old lady' nap.. grin

Meanwhile i could squeeze you (gently mind) for the support, you're bloomin' lovely you are! x

BackforGood Tue 08-Jan-13 23:49:47

Sorry - I wasn't meaning to suggest you were making it up grin, just pondering out loud really, as it was the case for weeks when I was having radiotherpay, and I think the thought of that was something that was really horrible for me - much worse than actually having the treatment!

All the best for tomorrow - will be thinking about you.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 00:09:47

My Mother had tbe same directions when she went for a mammogram twenty years ago. I remembered this shortly after reading your thread jelly.

Thinking of you todayx

must be different for different health authorities I suppose- waves to backforgood - I remember the no deo for radiotherapy bit- found that very irksome...

BackforGood Wed 09-Jan-13 17:13:14

Waves back to MAS - I must pop back over to Tamoxifen when I have a spare couple of hours to read through smile

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 17:33:29

smile

Elibean Wed 09-Jan-13 18:10:50

How'd it go, Jelly?

Squeeze very nice (assuming it wasn't on a par with the mammo machine's kind of squeeze grin)

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:01:09

Dors the machine really hurt even if boobs are big Elibean?

Sometimesiwonder Wed 09-Jan-13 19:10:22

Well it's defo not comfy, Sole, imagine getting one shut firmly in a door grin

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:14:46

Arrrrrrrrrgh

Arrrrrrgh

Oh I would faint

Jellykat Wed 09-Jan-13 19:16:05

Well (and excuse me if you're a non sweary) Fuck that for a game of soldiers!!!

I just said to Sole - that machine has got to of been designed by a man, and i'd like to see his todger in a vice!!
I was clamped to buggery, holding my breath against the pain, and she casually strolls over to press the button.. meanwhile i'm thinking 'run woman, don't bloody stroll'..bah

My squeeze will be gentle as fairy wings Elibean!!

Oh, the no deo is because Aluminium deposits in deo/anti p can mimmick (sp?) cancer cells on the X-ray apparently, so maybe different types of machine, nurse said it was bog standard proceedure for my health board.

Sole the nurse said it's the same amount of pain regardless of boobage.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:22:11

How long were you clamped for each.time? To tbe exact second if posssmile feel faint...

Jelly xxxxx
ooh

digerd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:23:26

It's become easier now that my small boobs have become droopier and less firm< peeved face> as they are able to pull and push like kneeding dough, into a crepe suzette shape - flat as a pancake !

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:27:48

Still hurts lime fuck? Right digerd?

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:28:48

Men should have testicular cancer check...in the same machine.

Fooking sexist!!!!

digerd Wed 09-Jan-13 19:48:29

Sole
The worst I remember was when I was perter and firmer, but smaller and the front bit was pressing and hurting my ribs as she had so much difficulty getting anything on the plate. Then it got stuck half way down and she pushed it and it went suddenly, quickly and uncontrolled and gave me a right wack squeeze. I cried ouch! Only happened once as bad as that.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 19:51:32

Oooh I feel tingly

Uncontrolled clamping

Faint

digerd Wed 09-Jan-13 20:02:56

Sole
You got the right word there - clamping it was. One advantage of having saggier breasts.

Jellykat Wed 09-Jan-13 20:05:24

Oh bloody hell digerd, it might as well've been a hammer OUCH!

Mine are like 2 wet teabags but it still hurt, maybe because it squished right on the lump.
But it is odd having another women pressing and pulling at your boobs to put them in a shape you've been trying to deny they would go in to. hmm

My mum refuses to have it done every 3 years, she ignores the request letters.. confused Despite the pain, i couldn't risk that, i'll qualify to be there for a routine one in 3 years, all being well.

SoleSource Wed 09-Jan-13 20:05:26

It's cruel, completly unecessary old fashioned method.

I feel.pain...

Owwww! well done jelly . The bosom manhandling is always a trial and not fun. Fingers crossed for good result.

digerd Thu 10-Jan-13 09:34:33

My SIL has enormous firm bazookas, despite BF 2 10lb babies decades ago and she is 71. Her mammos have never hurt, she said. < green with envy face>

Elibean Thu 10-Jan-13 11:03:43

I've had some that hurt a bit, others that didn't hurt at all, a few that hurt a fair bit but only for a second or two....seems to vary!

Well done Jelly smile

Now good vibes for clear results asap to put your mind at rest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now