Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Have you had pleurisy? Come hither

(10 Posts)

Not sure, SirDoris. I also have a chest xray on thurs and new antibiotics. The ones from yesterday ahd a rather unfortunate effect on my digestive system blush Now off to start a thread about DS who is asthmatic and is coughing like a good 'un....sad

SirDoris Tue 08-Jan-13 20:19:27

Hope you're ok Chickens. When do you get your blood test results?
I've been back to the GP today and got another lot of antibiotics and referred for a chest X-ray on Thursday.

Well, I'm on new antibiotics and being sent for a chest xray, although my chest doesn't seem too bad. I am having a blood test as they now suspect whooping cough. Yay.

SirDoris Mon 07-Jan-13 13:09:22

Hi Chickens. I've got pleurisy at the moment. Had flu over Christmas and then developed pleurisy secondary to that. It's so painful! I was prescribed antibiotics, but finished the course 2days ago and still in pain. Feel like I can't do anything without making myself feel worse again. Back to the Docs tomorrow for me.

Floralnomad Mon 07-Jan-13 12:54:35

Don't want to scaremonger but if you are getting that short of breath / pain ask your GP to check whether you could have a PE , they're really quite common .

Thanks. Back to the doc's this afternoon. Now the other side hurts. FFS.

itspeanuts Sun 06-Jan-13 18:59:23

It does sound like you've still got an infection. Get thee down to the docs tomorrow! you might need an inhaler too.

And I'm sure you know all of this but try and rest as much as possible, listen to your body and drink plenty of fluids.

Hope you feel better soon!

No, haven't had a temp at all. Just a bad head cold which turned in to a hacking cough which turned in to a chest infection and now the pleurisy (again). I'm fine unless I move around or try and do anything, then I'm getting a bit breathless and quickly tired. It's a right pain in the arse, tbh.

itspeanuts Sun 06-Jan-13 18:19:03

Hard to say Chickens. I do know when I had pleurisy I ended up taking 3 different courses of antibiotics before it knocked it on the head and even then still had the pain for several months after.

How are you feeling in yourself apart from the pain? Have you got a temperature again?

I have it for the third time. Lovely. Was diagnosed on New Year's Day, and given amoxicillin 500g three times a day, plus neroxet 4 times a day. I was feeling better, but the pain start coming back yesterday and is at the same level it was before treatment now. I'm due to finish the antibiotics on Tuesday. Is it worth going back to the doc before then, do you think? Or is it better to see the course out and then see where I am?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now