Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dry January - a month off the booze - anyone want to join me?

(631 Posts)
Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 14:54:03

I am determined to do this - I drink most days, it's become a habit, just a glass or two, more at weekends, but really want to give myself an extended break.

The worst time of day for me is between 6-8 pm, before we eat. So am going to try and eat earlier and it would be great if I could come on here and get some support about that time of day!

does anybody want to have a dry January with me?

And yes I do have a hangover today grin

FurdyCone Wed 02-Jan-13 22:14:12

Can I join? Have been drinking too much for a few years now; and beginning to think I have a bit of a problem. Day 1 today - drinking water. Feeling virtuous but a bit bored. Off to bed with a good book, and shopping for alternatives tomorrow.

Lottapianos Wed 02-Jan-13 22:20:08

I find the first week or ten days is the hardest. It's probably as much about breaking a habit as anything. Try Googling 'mocktails' - some nice ideas for fancy soft drinks.

Snowkey Thu 03-Jan-13 07:24:09

The first year we did it was harder too. I even look forward to each year after the excesses of Christmas.

tuffinmop Thu 03-Jan-13 09:43:00

Day 3 all! Onwards and upwards! Despite a 4am wake up from poorly DD I feel refreshed after my sleep, not jaded - yey!
furdycone me too about too much for a few years, time to face the habit. I sometimes think I should just give it up totally and become Tee total and then I wouldn't have to spend so much time thinking about it, iyswim
Good luck today all, stay strong x

DH and I are doing this - we didn't go out NYE, had friends here NYD instead, so we shared one bottle of wine between us and DH had one or two beers to be sociable with those friends and that is that. We are offically dry.

Sleeping is rubbish though, we are both really struggling, anyone else finding that?!

What is your soft drink of choice to replace wine?!?!? So far we are on ginger ale and (separately!) tomato juice spiced up. But need some more interesting options.....

"Mocktails" - just saw that. Thanks will try.

Lottapianos Thu 03-Jan-13 09:52:26

Here's a list of what I enjoy most about not drinking - it helps to remember these things when I'm wavering:

- better quality sleep
- skin looks fresher and plumper
- save money, a surprising amount actually
- having a clear head every morning
- more energy
- teeth look whiter (I'm a red wine drinker)
- feel trimmer

EleanorCuntBucket Thu 03-Jan-13 09:53:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sugarice Thu 03-Jan-13 09:57:21

After my near miss with a fish bone stuck in throat last night and glugging wine to shift it it was medicinal I now have a dry house and will begin tonight!

atosilis Thu 03-Jan-13 09:58:39

AnonymousBird
Not being able to get to sleep is a classic side-effect.
It does pass...

Tips
I've found that elderflower cordial in good quality tonic water is a good alternative to wine. Amazingly enough, in a wine glass to fool your brain. Take all alcohol out of the fridge, you won't be so likely to glug on warm white/rose wine.

ifso Thu 03-Jan-13 10:05:44

great thread, I need to cut down!

I usually pour iced water into a large wine glass at my trigger time of day - 5/6pm when cooking. Gives the same treat factor without the booze factor. works well so far. It's all so psychological eh?!

Lottapianos Thu 03-Jan-13 10:10:55

Tonic water with ice and lime is lovely and feels like a 'grown up' drink. Orange juice and soda
Cranberry, lime and soda - fab
Your favourite fruit/herbal tea, brewed, left to go cold then mixed with soda/tonic water
I mixed the juice of a red grapefruit with soda water and served in a champagne flute - was nice and sharp and felt like a treat
Treat yourself to posh fizzy water, like Perrier or San Pellegrino

FurdyCone Thu 03-Jan-13 10:13:54

Well done tuffin for the 3 days!

I have to say I don't feel any different this morning. Maybe it takes a couple of days to feel and see the effects?

LulaPalooza Thu 03-Jan-13 11:00:26

Day 3 (so only two nights, I guess) but I haven't really thought about booze yet. I still feel so toxic from Christmas bleeeeuuuggghhh.

It's our anniversary next Wednesday but I think we're going to go to the cinema, snarf popcorn and drink mahoosive cups of pepsi water instead of a meal/ pub.

Am going to Waitrose for soft drinks top up today.

It does take several days/a week or so to start to really feel it. I remember from before that my sleep was dodgy when we did this, but I suspect by the beginning of next week that will sort itself out.

Lottapianos - love your list, all so true and I would add:

- be less grumpy/short fused/stressed! (for me anyway, would hate to say that YOU were grumpy/short fused/stressed! wink
- read more books (I adore reading) and generally just get more done

FurdyCone Thu 03-Jan-13 12:16:27

- I'll second 'get more done'; this I think will be the biggest change for me (she says, having just got dressed!)

Another (hot) drink alternative - cider vinegar & honey (1 teaspoon of each) - very, very good for you.

LulaPalooza Thu 03-Jan-13 12:52:16

Re nice soft drinks, I can recommend:
Fentimans Rose Lemonade (Though very sugary - first time I had one was with a hangover, ironically and my friend nearly had to scrape me off the ceiling, such was the sugar rush);
Eldeflower cordial with fizzy water
Mango or lychee juice with fizzy water

In fact, anything sweet and fruity with fizzy water!

MamaGeekChic Thu 03-Jan-13 12:53:54

Me too! only doing until the 29th though (it's my birthday). No alcohol and no takeaways.

Doshusallie Thu 03-Jan-13 12:59:08

Day 3 everybody, c'mon, yay, waves Pom poms, group hug, yeah, we can do this, whoop!!!!!!

Will be back on later at drink o'clock for more of the same

LOVE the benefits list. Agree with all of them.

NuclearStandoff Thu 03-Jan-13 14:59:16

DH finds alcohol-free beer works for him if he is not drinking.

Becks Blue apparently ...

Sugarice Thu 03-Jan-13 15:08:04

I've been to Sainsburys and stocked up on:

Ginger Cordial.
Ginger beer.
Tonic water.
Tomato juice - also bought Worcester sauce and celery salt for Virgin Marys.

New glasses to drink from.

Have I missed anything?

LulaPalooza Thu 03-Jan-13 15:42:48

Oooh Virgin Marys. Cunning plan, Sugarice

LulaPalooza Thu 03-Jan-13 15:43:03

Ice.

You need lots of ice.

Sugarice Thu 03-Jan-13 15:47:41

Darn, yes I forgot the ice!

FurdyCone Thu 03-Jan-13 17:25:55

Danger time here. Glass of iced water in hand. I can do it, I can do it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now