Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry January - a month off the booze - anyone want to join me?

(631 Posts)
Doshusallie Tue 01-Jan-13 14:54:03

I am determined to do this - I drink most days, it's become a habit, just a glass or two, more at weekends, but really want to give myself an extended break.

The worst time of day for me is between 6-8 pm, before we eat. So am going to try and eat earlier and it would be great if I could come on here and get some support about that time of day!

does anybody want to have a dry January with me?

And yes I do have a hangover today grin

twinklestar2 Fri 25-Jan-13 09:09:15

I had champagne last night!! I met my friend and she'd already got me a glass and then we were depressed about being old and childless and proceeded to have a couple more! Sorry girls I'm not very good at this!

The plus side is I would have drunk waaaaay more than this normally so I'm not doing too badly.

I've realised my trigger times are when out with friends. At home I can give or take it.

TWinklyLittleStar Fri 25-Jan-13 10:07:25

I am out with my friends tomorrow night - there will be mulled wine and hot cider sad

I won't be drinking in February - I'm on a minimum 3 month 'get healthy and fertile' kick, and I've done pretty well on cutting the caffeine and booze, less well on my eating habits - the hard work is just starting.

Matildaduck Fri 25-Jan-13 13:11:48

Twinkly have you had a Look at chineese herbs for fertility?

twinklestar2 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:25:21

I'm trying that too twinkly. It's going ok but could be better.

Matilda could you expand on the Chinese herbs thing?

TWinklyLittleStar Fri 25-Jan-13 17:21:44

I don't really know how I feel about Chinese herbs. I think I will give acupuncture a try though. Just drinking water feels so joyless!

Matildaduck Fri 25-Jan-13 19:37:50

A friend of mine took chineese herbs, along with accupuncture, and hypnotherapy.

I haven't taken them so wouldn't be able to advise you but she got pregnant in the end :-) worth a google...

Bishopstonmum Fri 25-Jan-13 21:45:14

Havent posted recently but I am on day 20. Am planning on buying a really nice bottle for 1st Feb!

Bearcat Fri 25-Jan-13 22:10:40

Really, really wanted to open a bottle after a couple Of shit days.
Got past it with a lime and soda, my drink of choice these days.
Think I'll make it now I have got through this last Friday.

Well done Bearcat!

Snowkey Fri 25-Jan-13 23:33:34

Well done Bearcat I'm hanging in there, will make it to next Friday.....I hope!

Of course you'll make it Snowkey!

Another Friday night ticked off smile

Matildaduck Sat 26-Jan-13 07:11:42

It's easy now less than a week!!!

gazzalw Sat 26-Jan-13 07:55:51

Yippee...you know I'm wondering on seeing how long my new-found steely resolve will last.....could I last out until March or Valentine's Day???

It's funny that once a steely resolve sets in it's actually a lot easy than one might think...

Well done everyone though...I do think it's a great achievement but wonder whether we should be doing it several times a year not just the once?

twinklestar2 Sat 26-Jan-13 11:34:45

Gazza I've crumbled a couple of times so was thinking could I do it in Feb for real and use Jan as the practice?!

Snowkey Sat 26-Jan-13 11:43:01

No I won't cave in but I want to, I'll want a glass of red tonight while I watch dh cook my steak - it's tradition in our house, associations are hard to break. Still I have lost loads of weight so it has been very worthwhile.

spudmasher Sat 26-Jan-13 13:02:03

What a shame this topic is in chat as it will disappear! I want to save it so I can refer to it next January.

I have learned: it is very good for my skin to have no booze at all for a month.
I tend to replace it with sweet stuff
My triggers are celebrations, food and having drink in the house.

Next year I must: make sure the house is totally clear of alcohol by 12.30am Jan 1st 2014.
Ensure no one has anything to celebrate during January.
Find something other than chocolate to replace the booze.

There is one thing I am completely sure of- I will never ever drink as much as I did before. I am going to a 40th birthday party of a very good drinking friend on Friday 1st- I am actually scared of the hangover! I'm just not going to drink as much as I would have before. It's just not nice.

What have you all learned?

twinklestar2 Sat 26-Jan-13 13:34:30

I've learned I'm ok at home, it's when I'm out with friends that I cave! So no nights out for me next Jan.

Also I've learnt 2 glasses of wine is enough and that I can switch to soft drinks afterwards.

Snowkey Sat 26-Jan-13 13:43:12

Nothing - been doing this for years. grin Thankfully it hasn't got any harder.

I've been doing this for years too. But it's been great to remind myself of how if feels to wake up without having had a drink the night before. It's been quite easy, as I have been without DH for most of the month and I don't often drink on my own.

I'm trying to pinpoint when I/we got into the habit of drinking every day and why/how that happened, so that I don't fall into it again.

TWinklyLittleStar Sat 26-Jan-13 16:54:24

I have learned that I had fallen into the "bad day = glass of wine" trap. Not good.

Matildaduck Sat 26-Jan-13 17:48:11

I have learned;
I drank too much wine! Enough to not be savouring it or really enjoying it properly.

That my skin looks better without wine.

That my middle is less squidgy.

That my head is clear in the morning without wine.

That i save lots of cash.

Almostfifty Sat 26-Jan-13 21:22:28

Soo tempted this weekend, but haven't succumbed.

Katiekitty Sat 26-Jan-13 21:43:36

Day 26 here, with only one transgression on day 17.

I've learned that having given up the sauce for this long, I regret all the pointless booze I've downed without thinking!

And that it's so expensive!

Well done to everyone who's been off the booze for as long as they can. I agree with the poster who says can this thread be kept smile

twinklestar2 Sat 26-Jan-13 22:46:06

Definitely agree with the saving money comment

twinklestar2 Sat 26-Jan-13 22:47:08

I've also learnt that I drink without thinking. I can have a glass of wine at any time of day if I'm with a friend. Tonight I went to my friends and I didn't drink. Any other time i would have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now