Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

thinking of going for a dry January -anyone else in?

(29 Posts)
tuffinmop Sun 30-Dec-12 20:53:19

Just that really.
I drink 4 or 5 times a week maybe 2 or 3 glasses of wine, too much I know. I drink to escape and avoid thinking about stuff. I am having a very tricky time in my marriage (should I stay or go) and need a clear head. Plus I am skint and too fat! So thinking of no alcohol for January to get some thinking time and loose some weight. Anyone else up for it?

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Fri 11-Jan-13 23:13:18

Still dry smile

It has helped that I have felt rubbish this week so have no interest in alcohol.

Have survived a boozy Sunday lunch, a girly night in and dinner guests without cracking.

FellatioNels0n Sat 12-Jan-13 05:22:39

My DH is doing scarily well. He even started before Christmas, went right through NY (although we did have to stay in to avoid temptation) and hasn't had a drop for about 5 or 6 weeks. I think he is sulking a bit that I have started to slip in the odd glass of red with dinner though.

I have still cut down massively, even though I cannot claim to be any good at total abstinence. Him not drinking really helps although I never drank as much as him anyway.

Labootin Sat 12-Jan-13 06:14:08

Can I join in late ? I was drinking every day (and what started as a glass of wine was turning into a bottle, then i found myself eyeing the spirits..... ENOUGH !....

I didn't start til 4th Jan as was still on "holiday" and flew back on the 4th, but I've been dry for a week now (the longest ever since I was pregnant (so that's errrr nearly nine years)

Dh is also doing it (which helps hugely I nearly cracked on Thursday night which is the start of my weekend and my traditional time to crack open a bottle of bubbly)

Finding it easier in the week and it's amazing how much more productive I am without a glass in my hand and a permenant hazy feeling blush

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 12-Jan-13 08:01:11

Really well done to everyone who has stayed dry and those who have cut down a lot.

I read on another thread about distracting yourself from a craving for 90 seconds (the usual length of time it takes for a craving to pass) so am going to try that for my addiction to chocolate biscuits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now