Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

30-day shred in January

(662 Posts)
juneau Sun 30-Dec-12 17:44:58

Anyone want to join me?

hatchibombatour Thu 17-Jan-13 21:58:27

I'm using cans of chickpeas as dh uses the 1.5k weights for most of the exercises.

Phoned it in again tonight as want my knee to be properly better before putting any more strain on it.

I went out for a run this morning. I only planned to do a couple of miles, but got horribly lost and ended up doing 4.5 instead grin. And it was very hilly.

WiseKneeHair Fri 18-Jan-13 09:55:36

Right, I have a day off today. DC at school or soft play, so I have the house to myself. Sitting here wrapped in a blanket, drinking coffee and MNing. Would be pleasant if I wasn't so cold! I know the best way to warm up is to do some exercise (or have a bath) but I can't be arsed grin.
However, I've put it on here, so I've got to do it now, haven't I? Also, if I don't move soon, I'm going to start eating biscuits.
I'll report back later, either way.

orangina Fri 18-Jan-13 11:33:34

Go on.... Do it! At the very least, it will warm you up!

wem Fri 18-Jan-13 11:38:03

The house was frickin freezing yesterday. The only time I felt warm was when I was shredding, so it has its uses!

WiseKneeHair Fri 18-Jan-13 11:47:00

Done it. Level 2 shred. Couldn't do the jumping jacks as that hurt my leg. The rest of the things I couldn't do were because they were too hard! Felt I had a good work out and tried as hard as I could, though.
Then did 30 minutes of 10 minute solutions, thigh, bum and belly blaster, I think. It had this weird resistance band, which cut off the circulation to my lower legs, but did seem to improve the resistance.
Definitely deserve wine and chocolates tonight.grin

WiseKneeHair Fri 18-Jan-13 11:52:25

Just catching up with the thread, on the weights issue, I have just gone from using my DH hand weight bars - these are metal bars you are then supposed to add weights to. I have been using them without weightsgrin. I weighed them on the kitchen scales and they were 1.75kg. I ordered my second hand weight after mistakenly ordering only one initially and it arrived yesterday, so I'm now using 2kg. It did make some of the exercises more difficult.
Neither well done on the longer than planned run.
Sorry, can't remember who asked about taking the shred DVD away with them for the weekend, I would. Then, I wouldn't unpack it for the whole weekend.grin

wem Fri 18-Jan-13 13:37:45

I'm not shredding today. For the last few nights my DDs have been tag-teaming us from 4.30am, and last night I was awake loads before that too. I'm exhausted, so will mostly be having a sit down while they nap for a while. Though I think I can hear DD1 thumping around upstairs instead of sleeping, grrr.

wem Fri 18-Jan-13 13:39:24

Aww, she was just climbing into bed with DD2 smile

Awww wem too cute! Mine are too big for that now.

ninja I've just found my 30D Shred DVD in my laptop. I've survived 3 nights away from home without playing it, and intend to manage another 2 grin.

Instead I'm carb loading for Sunday (any excuse to stuff my face will do grin).

FreakoidOrganisoid Fri 18-Jan-13 18:48:35

Been feeling ill today sad. Still did 15 mins strength though I couldn't face any cardio. Hopefully that counts for something. Prob not!

bettydavis Fri 18-Jan-13 19:26:19

Can't stop eating today, have been doing really well logging everything onto MyFitnessPal, but tonight I have slipped. Haven't the energy to shred tonight either angry

WiseKneeHair Fri 18-Jan-13 19:33:29

wem - very cute!
Neither - good luck with the half marathon
Freakoid - don't push it if you feel ill. Hope you feel better soon.
Betty - I've struggled too. Cold weather just isn't conducive to dieting.

orangina Fri 18-Jan-13 19:40:16

Level 2 day 2 done. Still really hard work, and still did everything the "easy" (ha!) way, but phoned in less than I did earlier on this week.

Feel knackered and as though I should be in hibernation with a caveful of comfort food, so view it as something of a miracle that I managed to do it at all.....

(pats self on back)

Well done everyone still going strong, and I'm sure we all deserve some time off over the weekend (but as I didn't manage any exercise yesterday, will attempt to be diligent.....)

smile

karatekimmi Sat 19-Jan-13 08:13:03

You would think finding just 25 mins a day to shred wouldn't be difficult, but I cant!! In my defence I have a 7 month old and sometimes I can put him in his jumperoo but sometimes he is really whingy! I have been trying to follow my routine as it will be when I go back to work so exercise after he goes to bed, but it's like he knows <wonders if running up and down the stairs counts> and I am always knackered by then.

Sounds like a right whinge! I need to man up and stop making excuses!!

FreakoidOrganisoid Sat 19-Jan-13 08:20:13

Karatekimmi I know what you mean. I really struggled last time I did it because I found it so difficult to find the time. Its a bit easier this time round, not sure why. Maybe the dc let me get on with it a bit better now.

There is no way I could have done it when ds was 7months old though (although as he screamed constantly and never slept I only weighed 6 stone then anyway!!)

WiseKneeHair Sat 19-Jan-13 09:22:27

It is difficult Karate Mine are older which I think helps.
We used to eat dinner at about 8-8.30, so exercising before or after was impossible on work days.
We have now shifted our dinner time to 7-7.15, which means I can exercise at about 9. It's not ideal and I would like to exercise earlier, but I am doing it regularly.

bettydavis Sat 19-Jan-13 11:49:40

Right DH just said I look nice in my Jeans, haven't worn them in months definitely the motivation I need to stop eating and start shredding. Level 2 is hard though, struggling with all the plank work

wem Sat 19-Jan-13 13:43:45

Hooray for wearing jeans again and looking nice in them bettydavis smile

Day 14 done, woohoo, almost half way there (although, are we just doing January? I'm never sure whether the 30 days are supposed to be a 30 day period including rest days or 30 days of actual exercise). Definitely haven't got this far before, so thanks to all of you for helping me stick with it.

I think I'm getting a bit bored with level 2, might move up to 3 and then chop and change a bit between 2 and 3.

bettydavis Sat 19-Jan-13 17:16:00

Thanks Wem, it does make it seem worth it. Can't remember what day I'm on, miss two days a week with college and out tonight for a friend fortieth. Will get back to it tomorrow

WiseKneeHair Sat 19-Jan-13 19:24:13

bettydavis that's great, really motivating. You'll knock him dead soon. grin
I've added in a few other DVDs to stop getting bored - 10 minute solutions series. My Ripped in 30 also arrived yesterday, so that's my challenge when I get bored of level 3! Not that I'm anywhere near that yet. Starting to feel a bit more comfortable doing level 2, so hopefully will be able to move up in about a week.

wem I think it's great you have got further than before. It really helps to post here for support. smile

karatekimmi Sat 19-Jan-13 20:11:34

see having a whinge worked, mini Karate went to sleep at 7pm (instead of 8.30 the last few nights) and I managed to shred!!

betty the plank work is killing me and I know Jillian would be shouting at me to get my bum down - much more like a downward dog than plank! she knackers the shoulders out doing military press and chair squats with V lifts and then expects me to be able to hold my own body weight! she is funny!!

WiseKneeHair Sat 19-Jan-13 20:15:16

karate I hate the lunge, squat thingamajig she tries to make me do!
Think it's working though, so I'll grimace smile through the pain.

karatekimmi Sat 19-Jan-13 21:10:39

Yeah I feel less lumpy on my thighs and bum like the muscle is firming up under the layer of fat
Not looking forward to level 3 - think I might need to stay on 2 for a bit till I can hold a plank for at least 30 seconds!!
I might need to get another one to mix and match with - I had level 1 of ripped in 30 taped off sky fitness channel and I found 3 30 second circuits easier (although level 2 and 3 might be killers) I keep meaning to look on you tube as there are some workouts on there apparently

FreakoidOrganisoid Sun 20-Jan-13 08:58:27

Yeah I struggle with anything plankey as I don't feel like I'm doing it right and am therefore not sure it is working!

Didn't do it yesterday, walked to supermarket and back in the snow then made a blackforest roulade and cooked a roast blush. I would have done it while cooking but bf was here and I wSnt about to exercise in front of him! did get a bit ofa thigh workout later on though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now