Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

chest infection & asthma & non stop coughing - help!

(14 Posts)
roundabout1 Sun 30-Dec-12 15:25:04

I have been on anti-b's & steroids since friday when I went to the gp's after feeling bad with a bad cold & flu like symptoms all over xmas. I have asthma but it is usually well controlled & only a problem when I get a cold. The steroids are helping but I am non stop coughing, couldnt sleep at all last night due to a really dry cough. I have lots of gunk on my chest but I can't seem to shift it. I remember being told when I was a teenager to avoid steam because of my asthma even with a cold but was told last time I had a chest infection to have lots of steam. I had a bath earlier & did seem to ease my airways but my pulse rate was so high afterwards it worried me somewhat. Any ideas of what I can do to help?

roundabout1 Sun 30-Dec-12 17:10:57

anyone?

roundabout1 Wed 02-Jan-13 11:18:29

bump

weblette Wed 02-Jan-13 11:22:20

I'd get back to the GP if you can. If you've had anti-bs since Friday you'd expect to be feeling a lot better by now.

run4it Wed 02-Jan-13 11:22:47

Exputex will help to thin the gunk and make it easier to cough up - I bough it over the counter in Ireland and have had capsules on prescription in the uk (carbosysteine). I double up on my preventer when I have a chest infection (symbicort - don't know if others work with doubling up) - also lots of ventolin - makes me shaky but it helps!

roundabout1 Wed 02-Jan-13 12:44:31

Thank you for you replies. My anti-b's finish tomorrow but it was the last of my steroids this morning so think it will be the gp again tomorrow. I have doubled my preventative but strangely havent been taking lots of ventolin even though I should need it. Will try & take it regularly & see if it helps, makes me shaky too!! I think I've made things much worse my talking loads with a really hoarse voice, feel like I've damaged my vocal cords its that painful - but not sore like a sore throat is. The problem with having relatives visiting that I've not seen for 18 months, can't really ignore them!

digerd Wed 02-Jan-13 19:46:50

My SIL's dad had very bad Emphasema, and refused to put the heating on, as said it made his breathing worse. Suppose it was not the heat itself, but the drying of the air and the convection currents of dust in the air and floor etc.
He was on oxygen tanks at home, and a suction machine for the gunge, which he administered himself and got to 89 and 9 months old.

run4it Thu 03-Jan-13 02:39:49

I've had da,age to my vocal cords as well. Have been for speech therapy and had to give up caffeine :-(

roundabout1 Thu 03-Jan-13 13:03:03

well been to gp this morning more antibiotics and steroids and an xray too. do feel a bit better actually so hopefully these will do the trick. still non stop coughing and no voice though.

weblette Thu 03-Jan-13 15:57:48

Hope they do the trick roundabout smile
run4it sad

Mikertwindad Wed 09-Jan-13 15:03:32

Hi ROUNDABOUT1
Hope you are feeling better,..I have just started some anti-b's and steriods and seem to be going down the same path as you. I just wondered what you have been taking as I have been given some Clarithromycin and Prednisolone (streiods). I just wonder what signs would be that they are working because at the moment the cough is getting more violent and I'm losing my voice!!..Many thanks.;-0

roundabout1 Wed 09-Jan-13 17:04:34

Hi mike - My first anti-b's were Clarithromycin, then I got prescribed amoxcillin last thurs along with another course of steroids. My voice started to come back slightly saturday & the cough started subsiding a bit sunday/monday teh voice has been gradually improving although still very hoarse. Yesterday I was feeling much less poorly but have gone backwards again although did blitz the house yesterday so probably did too much. Was coughing again all last night & my throat feels raw today & generally unwell, tired/achey etc. It's proving a bugger to get rid of this blooming thing!

Mikertwindad Wed 09-Jan-13 17:20:08

Thx For coming back Roundabout!,..although I guess everyone is different..I'm just hoping I see some sign of improvement...(but not at the moment). Not happy to see Clarithromcin didn't work for you ..I'm on 1000mg daily!. I dread nightimes as I'm so tired but I know unless I'm bolt upright the coughing will kick off. I know coughing is a good sign?..right??..(doesn't feel like it). I have never had a cough or lack of energy for this time period like this before..I hope the combination of anti-b and steriods will enable me to get on top of it!. All the best!

roundabout1 Thu 10-Jan-13 09:35:08

Hope you feel better soon. I had to sit upright for about 10 days, now I can lie down on pillows its bliss (although would be more blissful to feel completely well obviously!) The Clarithromycin did get rid of most of the infection I was just a bit rattly still hence the2nd course of anti - b's so hopefully they will sort it out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now