Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Come tell me what medicine is best for kicking this bug

(3 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 30-Dec-12 09:17:37

Woke with a stinking sore throat at 5am, swollen neck, whole body hurt like my sciatica, all over and my normal back/leg pain was 10fold. I actually woke DH and said 'i don't feel well!' I took a tramadol which I take for back pain anyway, as that was close to hand, and it calmed it all down a little.

I also have some co-codemol 30/500 used for more acute back pain instead of tramadol.

Is tramadol/paracetamol or co-codemol better for viral symptoms, for my next dose?

And, diclofenac or ibruprofen for swollen glands/throat, do they do the same thing? as I have diclofenac for back inflammation and will have to get myself in gear for ibruprofen if that is better.

tabbycat15 Sun 30-Dec-12 12:01:46

I would maybe ring a pharmacist at your local chemist & ask for advice on which medication.

PavlovtheCat Sun 30-Dec-12 13:08:05

tabby thanks for replying. I can take either meds no prob, take tramadol daily and swap to codeine based on occasion, rarely, both together! With my gp guidance for ongoing back problems. I just wondered which is more effective pain releif for viral symptoms, from the experience of others. As it happens I have just kept to my normal doses of everything and it seems to be working ok, biggest problem was inflammation of that dangly but (uvula?) as keeps making me gag! But it is a bit better now.

Funnily I have not had a particularly rotten cold for a while, even most recent rotten coughing bug the family got, I got mildly...i am now thinking maybe just had good medicine so dudn't notice so much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now