Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am really worried as I am booked in for surgery when my period is due. Any medics / advice ?

(15 Posts)
PenisColada Sat 29-Dec-12 15:58:12

My op is booked in soon but I will probably have my period. The op is approx 3 hours.

Can I use a tampon ? I am worried a towel will leak but I may not be In a Fit state to change a tampon for hours.

What do I do ? I am really dreading the op anyway and this is making it all worse.

Any nurses who can help me ? I would be mortified if someone has to help me to the toilet.

lurcherlover Sat 29-Dec-12 16:00:59

You can get meds from your GP which will delay your period, although they might not prescribe them before an op as some (like the pill) can increase your risk of blood clots, particularly if you're going to be immobile for a while. I'd go to your GP for a chat.

SofaKing Sat 29-Dec-12 16:03:42

I wore a mooncup while in hospital, they last longer than a tampon so may be an option?

I wouldn't worry about being helped to the toilet, nurses are used to this and will give you your privacy once they are sure you wont fall over and hurt yourself.

PenisColada Sat 29-Dec-12 16:46:51

I have a moon cup but worry about dealing with it after surgery morphined up. I would probably drop it on the floor.

I think I will go with some big night time towels.

CanYouHearMe Sat 29-Dec-12 19:25:01

Ring the ward and ask their advice. I'm sure they have to deal with this sort of thing and will be able to let you know the best option.

bigkidsdidit Sat 29-Dec-12 19:27:47

The nurses will deal with this daily smile

I had surgery while having a period and breastfeeding and leaking milk everywhere last year. I asked the ward and they didn't bat an eyelid. Mine was only 2 hours so it wasn't an issue in the end but a lovely nurse helped me pump and empty milk etx.

Just ring up smile

Chubfuddler Sat 29-Dec-12 19:31:16

I expect rather than have you using a tanpon which may be an infection risk they would rather you had nothing on during the op and immediate aftermath, they will put big pads underneath you instead.

Skiffen Sat 29-Dec-12 19:33:21

The nurses are there to help you with personal care. Pads would be better as they are easier for them to change/help you to change as needed. If you do use a tampon make sure you have told someone pre surgery so that if things take longer than expected they are aware it will need removing.

MsElleTow Sat 29-Dec-12 19:35:28

I have lots of surgeries. Everytime I get given a pair of paper knickers to wear, and when I have been on my period they have given me industrial sized sanitary towels to wear! The nurses help deal with it afterwards if you can't do it yourself.

pepperrabbitanddesultorytinsel Sat 29-Dec-12 19:36:22

I was told not to use a tampon when I had a minor op last year.
Went for the attractive night towel and paper pants look...

ihearsounds Sat 29-Dec-12 19:57:19

Had emergency surgery whilst having period. Couldn't wear a tampax, was told had to remove any sanitary objects from inside me. Was given some paper kickers, massive sanitary towel and a massive pad thing under me.
I was really out of it after surgery, not helped because my oxygen levels were low. Couldn't stand until the next day, but was hardly awake. Nurses were fab, and changed pads.

Booyhoo Sat 29-Dec-12 20:00:38

i would see the GP and ask for norethisterone (sp?) as someone upthread says, it delays your period. i cant remember the timescale for when you have to start taking it though.so have a google to see if it's suitable. when is your surgery?

PenisColada Sun 30-Dec-12 16:09:32

Surgery in 3 weeks. Will that medication have any side effects ?

Booyhoo Sun 30-Dec-12 19:18:09

i didn't experience any but i'm sure there are some listed on the instructions. 3 weeks would be enough time to get it if my memory serves right. have a google and if you think it's for you then make an appointment with the GP.

PenisColada Sun 30-Dec-12 19:29:26

I've just googled it and it is progesterone which turns me into a psychopathic bitch.

I think I would rather deal with the period than inflict myself on the world after taking that. I had a bad experience on the mini pill !

I will stock up on big pads and giant knickers to be prepared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now