Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think I have norovirus

(95 Posts)
Sunnywithachanceofjinglebells Thu 27-Dec-12 19:19:33

Hello all

I spent most of last night in the bathroom, or lying on the floor holding my poor stomach. I'm now exhausted and have been able to keep down liquids and a cream cracker. Needless to say I feel like shit...

Any tips for a swift recovery?

bergedorf Sun 30-Dec-12 10:39:12

Sorry .. Share a house with people who are ill.

AndiMac Sun 30-Dec-12 10:39:27

I'd agree that if it's just the people who feel healthy who are along for the walk, there's no reason not to go along.

But I would make sure everyone in my family washed their hands the second they got back.

AndiMac Sun 30-Dec-12 10:41:17

Hmm, having them over for dinner might give me second thoughts. If you can word it gracefully for them to come over later in the holiday, I think that would be best. But it's tricky.

I think the walk is fine, but understand you not wanting to host tonight. But there's a chance that nobody else has it/will get it. Tricky.

DH is still feeling awful, but I have to go out today because we need some stuff. I am thinking of keeping my gloves on in the supermarket

bergedorf Sun 30-Dec-12 10:49:58

So sparkling is that because you might be carrying the virus even though you're not feeling ill?

So i think DH is on about fourth day of this. Last couple of days have been particularly bad. He can't eat or really drink anything. But he hasn't vomited.

I'm not getting any sleep either because he is up all night. Feel really sorry for him, he can't enjoy anything. We were going to go to see Life of Pi today and have a little party to go to NYE but he's too poorly.

I'm worried because if i get it there will be no one to help with kids. My mother is useless and a massive hypochondriac.

Any other tips?

AndiMac Sun 30-Dec-12 12:25:18

If he's keeping you awake at night, I would sleep in the guest room or on the couch to get a more restful sleep. Being run down will make you more vulnerable to getting it or any other bug going.

Bertrude Sun 30-Dec-12 16:32:28

I'm definitely coming down with something. <vom emoticon>

Spent yesterday afternoon using both toilet and bidet blush with horrific stomach cramps. Then realised that the cramps were also the start of a particularly nasty AF, and today there have been a few more toilet dashes.

Hoping it's just a bug and that the majority of the pain was monthly pain. It's now been2 hours since I have vomited. Sleeping the the spare room tonight so that whatever I have, he doesn't get. No point us both being ill for NYE.

Anyway, no advice, just joining in the 'I feel shit' party.

Sunnywithshowers Sun 30-Dec-12 16:37:20

Oh no! I hope all the poorly people get well soon.

I'm still not 100% but was able to go out today.

BeckAndCallWithBoughsOfHolly Sun 30-Dec-12 19:24:05

Has anyone else got stomach pains so badly you can't think straight? My symptoms started at 4am this morning and I feel sick, but haven't been, but I did have diarrhoea this morning - but nothing since 10 ish (completely empty, I guess).

But the pain is horrendous, all over my abdomen, not just one place - really sore, rather than cramps.

fannywetleg Sun 30-Dec-12 20:39:44

Had to deal with Noro a couple times - DS goes to Nursery and picks up all sorts of germs. My tips are wash everyone's hands a lot, clean and DRY off surfaces (plain hot soapy water is fine and all that hospitals clean with), keep drinking as much as you can in small amounts, but most of all - and this is the reason it keeps going round and round - stay away from everyone else until you have been clear of vomiting and diarrhoea for 48 hours. People send their DC's back to our Nursery too soon and pass it on!!

I do hope everyone who has it feels better soon - it such a horrid bug - my little one ended up dehydrated and in hospital with one episode!

ProudAS Sun 30-Dec-12 22:14:02

We obsess about this 48 hour rule but I'd be interested to know how many adults would feel well enough to return to work this quickly anyway - based on my experience not many although I'm not a dr.

I realise it may be different with kids though as they often bounce back more quickly.

devilinside Sun 30-Dec-12 22:34:45

Norovirus and D & V (with accompanying fatigue and flu like symptoms) are the same. How badly you get it depends on your immunity. If you haven't had it for years, it is likely to knock you for six and last a week. If you get it regularly, it will be much more mild and over in 24 hrs. Sometimes, you don't even vomit with it (DP never does - just stomach cramps and D for him)

Ninetyninepercent Sun 30-Dec-12 22:35:48

I guess some people can may get it more mildly so would easily feel like they were well enough. But whether your symptoms are mild you probably would still be as highly contagious to others for the same period of time as if you had had it severely.

I posted on this on Xmas Eve - my MIL came down for Xmas thinking she was 48h post vomit, and was feeling well enough to do a 2h drive and the day after she had stopped being sick she went out to a shop. But it transpired she wasn't 48h symptom free at all as she still had fairly severe diarrhoea (going to loo about every hour on Xmas eve) so was still highly infectious. But felt fine enough to drive and go out and about.

devilinside Sun 30-Dec-12 22:39:07

I think that's the main problem. People need to isolate themselves when they have the post norovirus Diarrhoea. Most of them don't bother as they feel fine by this stage.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sun 30-Dec-12 22:39:49

I had it in November - I couldn't go to work for a week. It started on Sunday night, felt a bit iffy but in usual Quicksie style, I never miss a meal and forced my tea down. The stomach cramps were AMAZING - they hurt so much. I rang NHS direct as I was convinced it had to be more than a stomach bug, it felt like someone was stabbing me with a rusty pitchfork! The nurse who answered said it sounded all too familiar.
My cramps lasted 48 hours, in that time I only ate ice lollies and drank as much lucozade as I could (after a childhood of being brainwashed that lucozade is for ill people) After that I was just completely shattered, wobbly on my feet and had a headache for a couple of days.
Don't go back to work until you feel like yourself again - it isn't worth it.

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sun 30-Dec-12 22:41:22

Oh yeah and if it is noro, you can smell it - it has a particular sweet fragrance! Well, in my experience anyway, I work in a nursery unit.

Jux Mon 31-Dec-12 02:20:36

I had it about 3 weeks ago. Started early Monday morning - about 5am - and I was actively ill, unable to take water even, until Tuesday evening, when I could take small sips. By Wed I could nibble at cream crackers. Once I started getting better I recovered quite fast. I was OK with dairy - the first thing I ate properly was a large carton of live natural yoghurt: I had been fantasising about it for 2 days!

I was still wiped out for over a week, though.

Hope you recover quickly.

CrunchyFrog Mon 31-Dec-12 04:50:51

We have had very strange transmission here - people at work had it, I didn't but DC 3 was wiped out for days, then DN, then XMIL. Nobody else in either house! Waiting to get it since I was actually puked on by DC3 but it's been 10 days.
Hope you feel better OP smile

Sunnywithshowers Mon 31-Dec-12 11:01:20

One of the people I was with on Xmas day has now got it, but no-one else. My DH hasn't got it despite him having been with me for days.

I'm almost back to normal, but can't eat normally - I ate bland chicken casserole last night and feel a bit blah this morning. I'm also really tired.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Mon 31-Dec-12 11:13:01

Tell me, what do you think about someone who insists on travelling long distance when they have what is thought to be noro? Especially when they insist that they weren't contagious because they washed their hands well, despite numerous loo stops?

OComeAllYeFaithBaby Mon 31-Dec-12 11:15:16

Merry I think they're bonkers! I did not want to venture any further than bed to bathroom when I was still productive and then sofa for a few days after. They will be contagious until 48 hours clear.

OhyouMerryLittleKitten Mon 31-Dec-12 11:19:22

They are under the impression that somehow they are not contagious because of good hygiene. I couldn't travel further than the loo with my bout and mine was a mild dose.

Sunnywithshowers Mon 31-Dec-12 11:22:20

I stayed indoors for 48 hours after I was clear of symptoms. I'd hate to pass it on to anyone.

CarlingBlackMabel Mon 31-Dec-12 13:02:11

what do you think about someone who insists on travelling long distance when they have what is thought to be noro? Especially when they insist that they weren't contagious because they washed their hands well

Selfish in the extreme, irresponsible in fact, because Noro can be catstrophic in frail people, and frankly, rather thick if they think handwashing prevents droplet infection.

Imagine if you personally infect 5 people and they each infect 5 an so on: that's a lot of pain, illness, family occasions ruined, working days lost, paid-for outings wasted.... I wish I believed in hell, for stupid selfish people like that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now