Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vit D results back

(91 Posts)
knackeredoutmum Mon 24-Dec-12 09:44:12

I you read my other thread I'm the knackered out Mum with disturbed sleep but more tired than I think I should be.

Have ordered all the blood tests but now wish I hadn't ordered the annoying and expensive microtube tests yet as my vit d has come back low.

Reading is 36nmols. Am I right, for good general health it is supposed to be a bit higher (ie 70+) than the range given in the test result sheet?

Can anyone point me to a website telling me how much I need to supplement by and how quickly I will see a result?

digerd Sun 27-Jan-13 12:54:04

On a routine full Blood test < including Thyroid> my Calcium was a bit low, so Gp out me on the Adcal-D3. Nothing to do with my Thyroid, but my thin bones diagnosis I had a few years before the Calcium was found too low < if it had ever been tested before?>

RockinD Sun 27-Jan-13 11:34:54

Ferritin looks pretty much OK. Over 90 would be better, but probably close enough for rock 'n' roll.

I don't know about the active B12 test, but would observe that your result is in the bottom half of the range, which may be an issue. That's applying logic to it. Hopefully someone will come along who knows a bit more.

You asked about thryoid. Do you have any thyroid results to pick at?

knackeredoutmum Sun 27-Jan-13 07:58:14

If you know anything about thyroid levels please could you look here for me?

Also I have got results of

ferritin - 84 (27-150) so sounds good?
active b12 - 66 (25-165) (apparently a new test, not just straight b12)

So I think these sound okay, right? But I have no idea about the thyroid function tests

mercibucket Sat 19-Jan-13 15:55:52

tigerfeet, if you have a vit d problem not a calcium problem, you should really just be on vit d. excess calcium is not good for you. you can buy d3 cheaply eg solgar and take a higher dose than the one you are currently on as well

TigerFeet Sat 19-Jan-13 13:48:47

Hello, sorry not made it back onto MN for a couple of days.

I'm on 4 x 200iu daily, two in the morning and two in the evening.

I have to wear sunblock due to having a precancerous skin lesion removed from my arm a few years ago so I think it's stemmed from that. I'm at the GP every couple of months anyway as I'm being treated for depression, I'm currently well but I was still feeling exhausted so the GP did every test imaginable to see if there was an underlying cause - this was it. I've been taking the Adcal for a couple of months now and I think it's starting to make a difference now.

My bloods will be done again mid Feb ready for results to be back at the GP for my next review at the end of Feb. THis will be my first retest since I was diagnosed a couple of months or so ago so it'll be interesting to see what's going on.

I understand you also have to have Ca levels checked, in case the Vit D deficiency has affected your calcium metabolism or the Adcal has sent your levels skyrocketing.

I'm going to go and have a read of some of the links upthread, thanks everyone it's always good to be armed with info.

knackeredoutmum Thu 17-Jan-13 15:20:40

also tiger, tell us what dose your adcal tablets are, when are you due for blood review?

knackeredoutmum Thu 17-Jan-13 15:18:30

tigerfeet, this is a great thread, Ive received lots of support and useful info here.

Your Vit D level is same as mine and it seems I might have other contributory factors as well.

Anyway, I have started taking 5000iu D3 only per day for 3 weeks and I dont know i it's the placebo effect or not (!!!) but I think I am feeling better than I was 3 weeks ago. Still very tired and fatigued, but not chronically sofa bound and needing to sleep every day.

TigerFeet Thu 17-Jan-13 14:50:24

Marking place to read later, off to do school thing. I have low VitD and am taking 4xAdcal daily, on prescription. My level was about 35 iirc. Permanently knackered.

fivecupsoftea Thu 17-Jan-13 14:43:21

After reading this thread I ordered some Vitamin K2 to go with my vit D, does anyone know which one is most easily absorbed, or what not to eat to aid absoption, I don't want to spend all this money and then just pee it all out...

sipper Thu 17-Jan-13 10:31:18

Hi Shotgun Thanks for petition threads link. I'll have a search to see if the petition is already on there. And then might add it anyway! smile

mercibucket Wed 16-Jan-13 21:46:14

that's good ggirl but still needs supplements right through winter! should really be over 120 heading into the dark depths of winter as you won't get any from the sun til april

ggirl Wed 16-Jan-13 19:47:30

well I;m pleased ..my vit d results came back as adequate at 74.3 !!

knackeredoutmum Tue 15-Jan-13 09:49:29

partial results back, here I am.

knackeredoutmum Sat 12-Jan-13 13:57:44

I was given one 0.5ml vial for one sample which was supposed to be used for all 3 tests, does that sound right?

knackeredoutmum Sat 12-Jan-13 13:56:51

I have to wait for someone to contact me next week. But I cant do anything different, I sent what they asked for last time so I need a personal response from them really

nomadwantshome Sat 12-Jan-13 13:45:00

Fascinating thread, nothing to add, just marking my place.

mercibucket Sat 12-Jan-13 13:38:49

sad

Oh no, so are they re-sending the vials to re-do the test?

knackeredoutmum Sat 12-Jan-13 09:19:22

Well, they have been utterly useless. They have a received a report saying that the sample size was insufficient when it was the volume that they requested - but they haven't bothered to tell me this.

They have received nothing for the simple reports and havent bothered to chase it up or inform me of that either.

grrrrrr

knackeredoutmum Fri 11-Jan-13 20:12:03

arrggh, shame I didnt realise until now, I have emailed them anyway but I dont expect they will receive my message til Monday now

mercibucket Fri 11-Jan-13 19:27:56

Did you give them your email? Mine were emailed straight to me a few hours after they must have arrived at the lab! Pretty quick! So maybe chase them up in case they got lost or something.
I'd guestimate about 6-8 weeks before you get levels up to something decent, but that's a stab in the dark really. My sisters went from that to mid 50s in a month on the same dose, so that's what I'm basing it on (not much!)

knackeredoutmum Fri 11-Jan-13 18:21:38

Oops blush thanks for asking

knackeredoutmum Fri 11-Jan-13 18:07:15

Am taking 5000iu vitd3 to retest in 10 to 12 weeks.

Have been taking just over two weeks but no change yet. If i started at uk 36 and take 5000iu, when do you guess i would feel better if this is the only problem?

Sent off blue horizon home blood tests on monday but havent had a result or acknowledgement. Anyone know when to expect something?

mercibucket Fri 11-Jan-13 17:17:31

That's not always true nanny
Firstly - many GPs don't know much about it
Secondly - some don't want to prescribe it anyway
Thirdly - some health authority protocols won't treat low level deficiency
Fourthly - if you are vit d deficient, it is usually recommended to stay on maintenance therapy once levels are restored
Fifthly - our summers are crap which is why a lot of people need supplements in the first place

Op, what did you do in the end and do you feel any better yet?

NannyPlumIsMyMum Fri 11-Jan-13 07:51:52

The GP will prescribe you the supplement at the correct dosage so it's not something you need to worry about.

Iv had low levels on and off for years ... Some people do in the winter. As we enter spring and summer you shouldn't a supplement .

Don't go to crazy on the suncream either - that's one of the reasons we as a country have rising levels of low vit d .

Suncream inhibits its absorption so use sun cream sensibly but remember you need some rays too your skin too :-)

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 11-Jan-13 07:38:54

(Are petitions allowed on here and can MN rally thousands of sigs in a few weeks???!!)

Lookee here *Sipper* [smile]

One signature added!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now