Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Vit D results back

(91 Posts)
knackeredoutmum Mon 24-Dec-12 09:44:12

I you read my other thread I'm the knackered out Mum with disturbed sleep but more tired than I think I should be.

Have ordered all the blood tests but now wish I hadn't ordered the annoying and expensive microtube tests yet as my vit d has come back low.

Reading is 36nmols. Am I right, for good general health it is supposed to be a bit higher (ie 70+) than the range given in the test result sheet?

Can anyone point me to a website telling me how much I need to supplement by and how quickly I will see a result?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 24-Dec-12 19:28:29

Fair enough - thanks.

mercibucket Mon 24-Dec-12 21:27:07

It is always worth asking the GP first. Our area do the test easily, others don't

Right then, that's a fairly low level and usually counts as insufficiency. 5000 iu of d3 sounds a good amount, we take that anyway in my family over winter regardless of our vit d status, it's not an amount that's going to make levels zoom out of control, but should make a difference. Get a good supplement. I use solgar. You can take it weekly instead if you prefer.

You haven't wasted your money doing the other tests as it is quite possible to have for example a thyroid problem at the same time - quite common in fact.

I would have a phone consultation with the GP to tell them this result and ask if they will monitor your calcium levels. Not absolutely necessary but see what they say.

Hope you feel better soon. It helped me a lot. I can tell when my vit d levels drop now when my feet start hurting. Keep it up from now on - once vit d deficiency is diagnosed it is best to supplement for life.

mercibucket Mon 24-Dec-12 21:37:25

Sorry forgot the protocols

Try the one on gpnotebook, that's used by some health authorities, or google for example 'sheffield vitamin d protocol' I know there's an easy to understand one on there

mercibucket Mon 24-Dec-12 23:22:07

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=1872363567

I just re-read the gpnotebook one. My latest results came back 90 and that was still counted as needing supplements by my health authority so they must have changed the ranges.

Note it is not advised to take calcium supplements (adcal) unless you have a calcium/bone problem already. Excess calcium/supplements can be quite bad for your health. Steer well clear imo.

knackeredoutmum Wed 02-Jan-13 22:42:35

shotgun, the result comes back on nhs headed paper so all good for taking to a doctor

ozymandiusking Wed 02-Jan-13 22:47:52

Mushrooms provide an excellent high source of vitamin D the highest for vegans in particular.

VestaCurry Wed 02-Jan-13 23:00:20

As others have said, take test results to GP. They should prescribe what you need to get your levels up. I had extreme low vit D levels (were actually tested by GP as part of a range of tests). I was given a boosting dose for a few weeks by her, then re-tested, which showed I was in the upper part of the range needed. It is something to be reasonably sensible about ie not overdosing.

Deux Wed 02-Jan-13 23:26:06

My GP tested mine as part of a range of tests. My result was 25nmols.

My GP prescribed 6000 iu a day for 8 weeks, followed by 2000 iu a day for a further 4 months.

I was prescribed 1000 iu Vitamin D3 by Lamberts. You can easily buy them online and they are quite cheap. Only reason mine were prescribed is because the dose and duration was so long that it was cheaper.

They made the most enormous difference.

Have you checked out the Vitamin D council website? I found it very useful.

sipper Thu 03-Jan-13 10:52:51

I agree that Vit D Council website is very useful. www.vitamindcouncil.org/

My levels were low even though I was taking supplements. Only found out when I was pregnant with DD3 and I requested a blood test. Really glad I did as result came back as deficient and I was able to increase the dosage. If I hadn't been tested I would have merrily carried on supplementing as I was (which was already above the 'NHS' guidelines level) and would have been deficient for me and my developing baby.

There's a 10 downing Street petition to call for Vit D testing as routine during pregnancy. Sadly it doesn't seem to have many signatures yet, which is a great shame. Perhaps we can add to it? Here's the link. epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/28536

Information I have is that drops or gel on tongue is best way for body to absorb Vit D. Also needs to be a good make (not ones found in supermarkets or the own brand type). Nutri is very good. As is Biocare. Better You also OK. Vitamin D3 is the type required. Info from my DH who is a healthcare professional and this kind of stuff is part of his daily work so he's always very well read on such matters and it was him who urged me to insist on being tested.

knackeredoutmum how is your magnesium level? Another commonly deficient essential - if you buy some Better You magnesium spray and use a few squirts on your leg before going to bed you can gradually start to increase your levels. Better You says if you get a tingling where you've applied it that is a sign that you are deficient, so dilute the application and start more gradually. Magnesium levels important for sleep. Lots of info here:
www.betteryou.uk.com/Magnesium-Oil-Original-Spray

and B12 ('boost') for sleep and generally feeling good:
www.betteryou.uk.com/Boost
(spray the B12 under tongue - 1 squirt for kids, 2 for adults; use in the morning or daytime - do not use in afternoon or evening/night)

Info from BY website:
My skin tingles when I apply Magnesium, is there something wrong?
If you are Magnesium deficient you may feel a tingle or slight itch upon application of Magnesium. This is normal and is actually a sign of Magnesium deficiency. The tingling will reduce as you continue to use Magnesium. If you experience any pain then you should rinse the area where you have applied magnesium. It is possible to dilute the magnesium with mineral water to create a weaker solution.

sipper Thu 03-Jan-13 11:13:33

Forgot to say that magnesium is crucial co-factor for body's utilisation of Vit D:

www.naturalnews.com/029195_magnesium_vitamin_D.html

www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-cofactors/magnesium/

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Thu 03-Jan-13 11:23:44

Vit d deficiency, as others have said, can be really harmful. Mine was so low I developed hyperparathyroidism & my body ended up taking calcium from my bones & excreting it - so brittle bones that may never regain their calcium. I was on 20,000 ui / week of vitamin d for a year & now thyroid is better but bones still rubbish. My gp totally ignored the whole thing though, it seems a bit of a blind spot, perhaps due to cost. I had the tests done by a rheumatologist. She said I was very lucky to be diagnosed in time, & also lucky that the 20,000 capsules had been approved the fortnight before so I could get them in this country.

Point being, take results to your gp, as if you are very low the vit d you can buy won't help at all.

Thanks btw, this thread has made me remember to keep taking it seriously & get some supplements down me!

knackeredoutmum Thu 03-Jan-13 19:26:11

mine was 36, which i think is low but not dangerously low? am i right there?

Rikalaily Thu 03-Jan-13 19:36:20

Mine usually comes back below 20 but I've only been given short term vit D/calcium lozenges up to now. This time I'm on 20,000 a day for 14 days then one 20,000 dose a month. I have a thyroid problem and a sunlight allergy which is why it gets so low.

Have to say that 11 days into this higher dosage and I'm feeling ALOT better, nowhere near as tired and the constant ache in my joints and bones is easing off, also headaches almost completely gone.

sipper Thu 03-Jan-13 21:40:53

Vit D levels

Vit D council website says the following:
Studies indicate that for proper health, serum vitamin D levels should be a minimum of 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L), with optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L). These values apply to both children and adults.

www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-deficiency/am-i-vitamin-d-deficient/

knackeredoutmum Fri 04-Jan-13 09:17:22

does anyone think a result of 75nmol (30ng/ml) would result in significant fatigue or is this above that level for causing fatigue

sipper Fri 04-Jan-13 10:45:32

Doesn't sound exceptionally low when you look at NHS but all ther reports I've read would suggest that 30 is pretty low and therefore fatigue could quite credibily be a symptom. However could also be a combination of factors. Low vitamin d, low magnesium, low b12. I'd get them all supplemented.

Also, if you drink alcohol how do you feel it affects you? Sorry if sounds random but having another thought!

SofiaAmes Fri 04-Jan-13 10:54:51

My father is a well known scientist who works on aging and causes of cancer. He recommends (and takes himself) 3000iu per day. In addition, you may want to consider CoQ10 (400mg per day, split 1/2 am and pm) for the fatigue. Magnesium and Riboflavin and a multi-vitamin also all a good idea. I give all of the above (and L-carnitine) to my ds who has a mitochondria dna mutation which can cause fatigue as one of the symptoms.

myfavoritedayismonday Sat 05-Jan-13 13:43:42

My vitamin D level was 50, is that low enough to be goving me any symtoms? My GP seemed to think it wasn't that low. I've ordered some D3 online. I noticed that my multivitamin has D2 in it. Anyone know anything about the difference between these two and what you need?

mercibucket Sat 05-Jan-13 14:05:01

you still need supplements at 50. i feel symptoms at that level. d2 is a waste of time really, it won't do much at all, hence why your levels are still low.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 05-Jan-13 15:06:36

sipper, might I suggest starting a thread to draw attention to the petition? Not sure rhis will be getting much traffic.
Helpful info on this thread, btw smile.

myfavoritedayismonday Sat 05-Jan-13 20:22:52

Mercibucket what symptoms do you feel at 50?

mercibucket Sat 05-Jan-13 22:05:18

I get sore feet, on the tops, and knees. That's when I know my levels have slipped. Before I was treated I had a lot more, with bone pain in lots of places and also tiredness, but now I take supplements and I don't get all those symptoms any more, just the pain on top of my feet when levels start to slip.

knackeredoutmum Sun 06-Jan-13 19:19:00

The magnesium spray bottle says 10 sprays = 60% rda, but I think this thread is suggesting just a couple of sprays? How much would you need and is there a safe maximum?

sipper Sun 06-Jan-13 21:34:24

Did it say anything else on the cardboard packaging? (Are you talking about one of the Better You magnesium sprays?)

It was prob me who mentioned starting with two sprays and I was prob being over cautious.

Just asked my DH who suggests starting with 3 sprays per leg and seeing if any tingling (or the sensations BY explain as potential reaction when deficient). Build up gradually night by night until total sprays get you at your RDA (unless you're having green leafy veg in good quantities every day and don't have any stresses in daily life - adrenal glands use up a lot of the body's magnesium). If you are taking vit d then it is important to have your RDA of mag every day. Also Check if magnesium is in any other supplements you are taking and revise the number of mag sprays needed accordingly.

Eurostar Sun 06-Jan-13 21:58:11

sorry to add to the worry and cost that is supplementing, research is now suggesting that vitamin k2 (not k1 which is mostly the K used in vitamins, especially cheaper ones) is important alongside D3 otherwise the extra calcium that D3 encourages to be taken up might calcify in the arteries rather than in the bones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now