Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Back pain - chiropractor, osteopath, physio - or leave alone?

(4 Posts)
Nancy66 Wed 12-Dec-12 08:44:48

In the last couple of weeks I've developed lower back pain.

It's mostly ok but i'll get twinges that feel like an electric shock if i bend a certain way. My lower back also feels bruised, like i've had a fall, when i haven't.

I once sought treatment for a sore neck and shoulders and the physio made it so much worse - and it's put me off getting any manipulation-based treatment again.

I did ask a doctor friend and he said the best thing you can do with a bad back is to leave it alone. But he's a cardio surgeon, so not his area of expertise. What do people think?

GoldQuintessenceAndMyhrr Wed 12-Dec-12 08:47:18

For me it is one of two:
A. Chiropractor or ; B. Plenty of walks in uneven terrain - like pebbly beaches, grassland, hills, mountains, etc.

Or a combination of both (but not at the same time of course) if you can

I had back pain for many, many years, that was finally sorted by going to see an osteopath. He was very gentle and focused on trying to find out why I was having the pain -- this is very important with back pain, as often it comes about from problems with other areas of the body (in my case, it was actually my hip that was the problem). There wasn't any hardcore manipulation, just gentle exercises to do.

Personally I am afraid of chiropractors because everyone I've known who has used one has ended up having to use them for a long time (also I'm a wuss).

If you are in London I can PM you the osteopath I used, he's great.

Oh, and your doctor friend is kind of right in that if you try doing lots of exercises and things, it can sometimes make things worse. But at the same time, ignoring it can just make things worse and get to the point where it really interferes with your life.

I have never used an osteopath but I have used a chiropractor a lot. Various issues with both upper and lower spine with me and I have to say I really recommend it. DS is also having chiro treatment at the moment. He is 11 and hurt it being tackled playing rugby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now