Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Biopsy needed on lump in my bottom - please hold my hand

(15 Posts)
fluffyanimal Mon 10-Dec-12 17:09:55

Really hoping people out there can share experiences of biopsies. I've been referred under the 2 week rule because I've got a pile just inside my anus that may not be a pile because it's been there for a few months, bleeds very easily and frequently and hasn't settled with pile cream and attempts to change my diet.
The doctor thinks it's unlikely to be cancer, but wants to exclude it. Needless to say I'm very scared. I'm 41. I don't smoke, hardly drink, have managed to get my weight back under control over the course of this year. OK, I don't exercise very much and could probably eat more fruit and veg, but my diet is reasonably healthy. I have 2 small boys.
I don't know what to expect from the biopsy itself - will it be painful? How long will I be in for (overnight?) How quickly will I get results? And then, if it is bad news, what then? Please could I have some hand holding?

Gigondas Mon 10-Dec-12 17:18:45

Biopsy shouldn't be painful as they usually do it under local anaesthetic - it took about 20 minutes to do mine. It may be sore for a couple of days after.

Results vary but usually it tends to be a Couple of weeks.

But given dr has said it isn't likely to r cancer try not to fret.

And if it is the worst (or even if you are fretting) come and join us over on the tamoxifen thread in general
Health. I have cancer - yes it is unthinkably scary and treatment is gruelling . But I am still here and for large parts of the time happy. I would rather not have it but it doesn't define who I am or colour (with some effort) my whole life. Also most cancer is treatable and even advanced canxer (or terminal) there is stuff that can be done to help improve your life quality.

There are ways to cope and lots of support (inc here) so it won't be something you face alone.

fluffyanimal Mon 10-Dec-12 17:42:51

Gigondas thanks for the reply and sorry to hear about your own situation. I know I shouldn't worry until I know I have something to worry about, but I guess it's only natural. Already I feel guilty because I keep thinking about things I should have done - exercised more, not got overweight, eaten more fruit and veg, not smoked socially for about a year when a student, etc etc, basically that if it is cancer I could have prevented it. That's crazy, right?

Gigondas Mon 10-Dec-12 17:58:14

Yes completely crazy smile- and wasn't trying to enlist sympathy but hopefully make you not worry about something that is unlikely and if the worst does happen, it may not be as bad as you fear.

fluffyanimal Mon 10-Dec-12 21:15:24

JuliaFlyte Mon 10-Dec-12 21:31:28

I have lumpy breasts - that sounds lovely doesn't it! I have had to have triple screening and biopsies on three different occasions. The first time I discovered a lump and was referred I was a total wreck, imagining the worst and bursting into tears every time I thought about my dc.

BUT on each occasion there has been nothing to worry about. As hard as it is , try to convince yourself that there is nothing to worry about unless a consultant tells you there is something wrong. Be kind to yourself and take things easy. This is a really stressful time for you, but you will get through it and you will be ok

fluffyanimal Tue 11-Dec-12 09:40:19

Thanks Julia. All your screening must have been really stressful, but I suppose at least it shows the system is working and they are monitoring people's health.
Haven't got my appointment through yet, I just hope it's done before my mum arrives for Christmas.

Hi fluffy, may I join you? I saw my gp yesterday about a lump on my jawline and he referred me under the 2 week rule for cancer to be ruled out as well. I had a phone call from hospital appointments this afternoon offering me an appointment on Christmas Eve! Not ideal obviously but I've accepted it anyway. Hope you get yours very soon

tgisue Thu 13-Dec-12 07:19:26

Hi Droitwichmummy, I had a lump on my jawline last year and was referred to Birmingham Dental Hospital for a scan. It turned out to be a gland which is quite common apparently, so common that my dd has exactly the same diagnosed on her jawline!

fluffyanimal Thu 13-Dec-12 13:16:11

Hi Droitwichmummy, the waiting is horrible isn't it? I haven't had my appointment date yet, hope it isn't Christmas eve as then my mum will have to know. Let's keep positive anyway until we get results. thanks

I'm hoping it is something like a gland. I didn't think about cancer till the doctor was wondering where to refer me: there was no category on his pc for 'strange lumps'!

My appointment letter came today saying 'we advisd patients to bring a relative or friend with them'! That won't happen - we had already planned a Christmas Eve party at our house from 4 so DH will be getting it ready while I go to the hospital. I'm telling DS that I have to go to see Santa.

Hope you have heard about your appointment fluffyanimal

fluffyanimal Mon 17-Dec-12 12:46:55

No appointment letter yet. I don't think I'll be seen before Christmas at this rate.

BelaLug0si Wed 19-Dec-12 00:02:42

I suggest you ring the GP tomorrow and check what's going on. What system did they use to make the referral?

fluffyanimal Wed 19-Dec-12 15:58:15

Arrgh! Why can nothing be straightforward? I rang GP to ask if they could give me a number of where I'd been referred to, so that I could find out if a letter had been sent out but delayed in Christmas post. GP's surgery gives me number of local hospital endoscopy unit. I ring them, they have no record of me in the system and tell me to get back to GP to chase up the referral.

Two week rule my arse. Literally. (Have to grin or else I'll sad) I just want to know when it's going to happen, and we still haven't made our plans to go and see relatives after Christmas, because I'm waiting for this frigging appointment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now